How much is a dog worth?

That doesn't surprise me. I have met many over the years that treat their dogs like tools to do a job and nothing else. Spend their life in a crap filled pen, eating cheap food and yelled at or shocked if they bark or whine. My father sort of treated his animals like that. Mine are companions first, and treated pretty well. Funny I've had pretty good luck with that approach over the years.

That doesn't surprise me. I have met many over the years that treat their dogs like tools to do a job and nothing else. Spend their life in a crap filled pen, eating cheap food and yelled at or shocked if they bark or whine. My father sort of treated his animals like that. Mine are companions first, and treated pretty well. Funny I've had pretty good luck with that approach over the years.

I wouldn't call 40 a bag dog food cheap and stays im my garage to bad you know im really starting not to like your backwoods type keep the puckering up

Last edited:
I know people who think of dogs more of tools as hunting partners...hell, I would say I used to be one. Different strokes for different folks. :cheers:

I wouldn't call 40 a bag dog food cheap and stays im my garage to bad you know im really starting not to like your backwoods type keep the puckering up

To each their own, I guess. My pup got to gnaw on a big steak bone from Cattleman's and slept on my hotel room bed with me on our trip last week. :)

To each their own, I guess. My pup got to gnaw on a big steak bone from Cattleman's and slept on my hotel room bed with me on our trip last week. :)

Some dogs just have it made.:cheers:

Ok guys, we are getting off the subject of this thread and headed in the wrong direction. Let's bring it back on point. You all can treat and raise your dogs as you see fit. You can keep them for life or get rid of them as you like. It's a personal thing that we will never all agree on.

rahthaar
If I didn't have a dog I wouldn't even go, I don't go just to kill birds and def don't like eating them I love seeing awesome dog work I can go to a bird dog trial and watch all day and compare mine to there junk some of them lol. You should feel proud and of your dog are you saying they came and got your dog without you? I promise that would not have happened theres only 1 guy who I trust with my dog and I cant even stand him but we grew up togeather so whatever lol What kind of dog do you have tell us how broke he is obviously he points and holds birds does he retrieve ? honor?

Sorry that I did not answer all your questions. My dog is a Drahtharr, he is professsionally trained. He points and retrieves very well. He does not have much of an opportunity to honor. That is probably his weak spot. Most of the time he is the only dog in the field. He definately holds his ground if another dog wants the bird that he has retrieved. I did see him back down a shorthair who wanted the bird that he had in his mouth, without ever dropping the bird. He is the most talented dog I have had. Great nose.

Ok guys, we are getting off the subject of this thread and headed in the wrong direction. Let's bring it back on point. You all can treat and raise your dogs as you see fit. You can keep them for life or get rid of them as you like. It's a personal thing that we will never all agree on.

your right zeb but for some idiot close minded suck ass to assume that I let my dog sit in crap filled kennel ole roy dog food and mistreat my dog is stepping over the line I don't put up with not getting the job done as a dog owner when the right dog suits me he is treated like a king when one doesn't down the road. And for you to not even comment on what I asked you im a little confused being a trialer, how do you keep a dog around if not up to par or doesn't cut in the trial world?

This is exactly the kind of stuff that gets threads closed and/or deleted by us Mods. Bashing another person because you don't agree with them will not be tolerated. Just let it go and move on. I also want to warn everyone to keep the language on this site clean.

How much is a dog worth?....hopefully for most, a birddog is worth years of companionship, months of memories, weeks of partnership, days full of dreams, hours packed with grins and minutes peppered with grimaces.
The value of a birddog is most easily set by recognizing that each of the above deserves a line in that big tally book.

Last edited:
How much is a dog worth?....hopefully for most, a birddog is worth years of companionship, months of memories, weeks of partnership, days full of dreams, hours packed with grins and minutes peppered with grimaces.
The value of a birddog is most easily set by recognizing that each of the above deserves a line in that big tally book.

I try to forget the grimaces.:thumbsup:

I have always enjoyed hunting with my dogs. Listening to these guys telling me about my dog, the points where he pointed with his head at a 90 degree angle to his body and the crippled birds that he found that they say they never would have because of how heavy the grass was sure makes my chest puff up a little and it is hard not to smile.

What's a dog worth?

Quail hunters are nuts!
Who but the insane would wade through saw-briars, weeds and trash for 4 hours and be rewarded with 3-4 (if you're lucky) 3 oz birds?
It's ALL about the dog(s).

I'm older, not wealthy, and live alone in the country.

The bird dogs I have are my family, in a sense. I understand the different points of view of ownership, but once I've accepted a dog as a hunting companion, I accept his level of ability and work to improve and hunt within it.

The past few years I've had my first flushing dog--vastly different from the two versatile pointers (GWPs) I have previously been blessed with.

For good or ill, Mick has compelled me to learn a different style of hunting, and accept (and attempt to enhance) his level of ability. In turn, he has tapped his instinctive capacity for the joy of the hunt, and curtailed his enthusiasm within the bounds of learning and obeying my commands. I still marvel when he stops in his tracks at my "hup" command while pursing a running rooster.

OP's question about "value" of a dog...well, kind of stumps me, although I assume it was a thought-provoking inquiry.

To me, the dog IS the hunt, just as the shotgun is, and the many roosters and few ducks are. From my point of view, the question may well have been "what value is breathing to the hunt?"

For me, and perhaps me alone, there is no hunt without my companion.

Be safe, have fun.

:)

I don't know what hunting with a dog is worth, but I know hunting without one is WORTHLESS!

Dove hunting or waterfowl in fields may be the exceptions

If I didn't have my DD, I'd still be exclusively deer hunting. That dog has made my hunting season become year round between all the seasons/game I can hunt now as well as training/testing in the "off-season".

If it all comes down to $$, I'd have to say I wholeheartedly agree with the statement that buying the dog is the cheapest part.

yes....a dog is the most important part for me as well....I've been messing with bird dogs for almost 30 years now. I would and HAVE hunted with a dog and no gun just to watch and enjoy the show....I hunted as a kid without a dog...I would have to say if I didn't have dogs...I probably wouldn't bird hunt anymore

Back