Hot and Dry Weather

Looks like NE South Dakota got some decent precipitation last night and early this morning. According to the NWS it appears we got over an inch. And the forecast has more storms rolling through later today.

NE South Dakota

Well, we had marble size hail followed by 2 inches of rain in a very short period of time which lead the low grounds being flooded. I am concerned for the hatch. Pheasants in our area nested early then we received 4 inches of snow in mid May. Then they went and nested again and we had some flooding. Guess we will see if they will get a third chance. sdviking

While the rain coming from these storms tonight and the last few days is defiantly needed. There has been quite a bit of hail associated with it as well as flooding in low spots where pheasants nest and hide. Here's hoping they are keeping themselves hidden in what cover and shelter they can find.

Any rain fall around the Parkston and Eureka areas? Thanks!

Eureka was in a drought last year when I was there. Sloughs were completely dry in spots. Looking at the weather maps being shown here it doesn't look good from here. After six years of going there we opted to plan a trip to Hettinger ND. Now it looks bad there. To late now deposits are down.

Arghhh!

Eureka was in a drought last year when I was there. Sloughs were completely dry in spots. Looking at the weather maps being shown here it doesn't look good from here. After six years of going there we opted to plan a trip to Hettinger ND. Now it looks bad there. To late now deposits are down.

Arghhh!

Yes this is tough on everyone. I have spent alot of money on habitat seed, everything is planted. Now my sloughs are dry I could cut a fair amount of hay out of them, I can use my CRP, but if the seed I planted does not come up then where will my hunters hunt? It puts me in the position of having to assure that the hunters are immune from the weather. I can't do that. What is the right thing to do?

Yes this is tough on everyone. I have spent alot of money on habitat seed, everything is planted. Now my sloughs are dry I could cut a fair amount of hay out of them, I can use my CRP, but if the seed I planted does not come up then where will my hunters hunt? It puts me in the position of having to assure that the hunters are immune from the weather. I can't do that. What is the right thing to do?

i think we all understand that it takes good weather to support a good pheasant pop. i think the past and present shrinking habitat conditions play an even bigger role, good weather or bad.
i think the guys who make side money on the pheasant game understand this is supplemental income, incidental to farming/ranching/haying. I think you plan and profit from your core business prospects.

This is nothing new to South Dakota. I've seen my share of years where I have wondered how producers make a dime in this state.

and As far as pheasants hatching is concerned....would you rather have it warm and dry or cool wet?

I also see 2 vastly different farming methods adjacent to my farm. One conserves moisture and the other turns the topsoil black for early emergence. Will be interesting to see who wins come harvest time. I saw what happened last year.

As far as pheasants are concerned I will take cool and wet every time. This is no good for pheasants. But since we can't do any thing about it here we are.

Not sure the article is accurate in stating that "haying" is open because it is too early in nesting season to allow for that.

http://www.startribune.com/severe-prolonged-drought-threatens-pheasant-chicks-in-dakotas/432920463/

Just talked with one of our outfitters in western South Dakota and they were haying an oats field and he was pleasantly surprised by how many birds he was seeing.

Last week I dumped 2.5 " out of the rain gauge from the prior week so like us there are a lot of the state that is not in a drought as well.

20170704_conus_trd.jpg

Yet I live just 17 miles NW of you and my rain gage has had just .87 inches since 1 JUN. It has been hot and windy many days with little to no morning dew and I fear that around here the hatch and chick survival is in BAD shape. Worst of all I have not seen a single chick this year and my ground nor many adults since early this spring.

Yet I live just 17 miles NW of you and my rain gage has had just .87 inches since 1 JUN. It has been hot and windy many days with little to no morning dew and I fear that around here the hatch and chick survival is in BAD shape. Worst of all I have not seen a single chick this year and my ground nor many adults since early this spring.

I am seeing some chicks, most of them pretty good sized. Cover is going to be scarce though.

Saw a good number of pheasants and chicks around Reliance this weekend while driving through from Chamberlain to Ft. Thompson to go fishing. By the way, fishing was excellent.

The drought in SD continues along with temps in the 90's to over 100. Doesn't look like much relief in sight as these temps look to continue for the next 7-10 days and no precipitation in the forecast. They had opened up CRP for grazing and now have opened for haying. That doesn't bode well for the pheasants or us hunters. Unless something changes this could be a tough year.

Don't know much about South Dakota hunting but if we had those conditions in Iowa the birds would be concentrated in the sloughs and cattails.

I love to hunt on ice through cattails.

Little more info I just came across.

WASHINGTON, June 30, 2017 — In response to a request from Jamie White, Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) acting State Executive Director in South Dakota, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has designated Campbell, Dewey, Edmunds, McPherson, Potter and Walworth counties in South Dakota as primary natural disaster areas due to losses and damages caused by a recent drought.

Farmers and ranchers in Brown, Corson, Faulk, Haakon, Hyde, Stanley, Sully and Ziebach counties in South Dakota also qualify for natural disaster assistance because their counties are contiguous.

Farmers and ranchers in Dickey, Emmons and McIntosh counties in North Dakota also qualify for natural disaster assistance because their counties are contiguous.

More.....

(Huron, South Dakota) July 10, 2017 – As conditions deteriorate and drought expands across much of the Northern Plains, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is offering assistance to farmers and ranchers through numerous federal farm program provisions and continues to monitor the situation to ensure all viable program flexibilities are offered to producers. Today, USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) acting State Executive Director in South Dakota, acting SED Jamie White, announced that Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has authorized emergency haying on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) lands beginning July 16 through Aug. 30, 2017 for counties in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota designated as D2 or greater on the U.S. Drought Monitor. Similar to the authorization for Emergency Grazing announced last month, this authorization includes any county with any part of its border located within 150 miles of a county eligible for emergency haying of CRP based on the U.S. drought monitor.

Increased demand for hay has further depleted already low levels of hay stock. As of May 1, 2017, Montana and North Dakota reported the lowest hay stock since 2013 and since 2014 in South Dakota.

“We are offering any and all USDA program options that will provide farmers and ranchers relief from the devastating impacts of prolonged drought,” said acting SED White.

Landowners interested in emergency haying of CRP acres should contact their local FSA office and meet with their local Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) staff to obtain a modified conservation plan to include emergency haying. Not all CRP practices qualify for emergency haying. July 15 marks the end of the Primary Nesting Season in Montana. Due to the severe drought conditions, authorization for emergency haying may begin July 16 in North Dakota and South Dakota. Individual conservation plans will take into consideration wildlife needs.

Eligible CRP participants can hay their acreage for their own use or may grant another producer use of CRP land for haying purposes. There will be no CRP annual rental payment reductions assessed for acres hayedunder this emergency authority.

According to acting SED White, this emergency CRP haying authorization is an added resource to an extensive portfolio of drought assistance programs and emergency provisions offered by USDA agencies and currently available to eligible producers having a qualifying drought loss or related need.

Emergency CRP Grazing - In June, Secretary Perdue authorized emergency grazing of CRP acres during the primary nesting season in Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota in counties indicated as D2 or greater on the U.S. Drought Monitor. This authorization was further expanded to include any county with any part of its border located within 150 miles of a county designated as level “D2 Drought - Severe” or higher according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. Grazing is authorized through Sept. 30, 2017 unless conditions improve. In South Dakota, 977,553 acres are currently enrolled under CRP.

Anyone think this will help them push for raising the cap on CRP acres higher on the next farm bill? Sucks for those folks affected by the drought but this could help CRP, farmers/ranchers and wildlife in the long run if it gives traction to raising the acreage limit.

Anyone think this will help them push for raising the cap on CRP acres higher on the next farm bill? Sucks for those folks affected by the drought but this could help CRP, farmers/ranchers and wildlife in the long run if it gives traction to raising the acreage limit.

Good question. One would think so. CRP acts as a grass bank in this case. CRP offers price supports if indirect. CRP provides the conservation producers are not willing to do.

Back