Friends of Friends

Boy, you covered this pretty well. While I have not actually been shot, I think I have experienced all the other examples, and came close to being shot!

Yes, I've been shot pheasant hunting once. Ten minutes into the season on opening day, a flurry of about four roosters get up and fly towards me, several shots were fired and I was peppered with shot. One pellet broke the skin on my face just below my eye.

LM

Feel free to practice some golf too as the ditches are well manicured.

Ease big fella....I was just ribbing you

I got friends and own my own place..heck I'm almost a local now. IMO, if your that protective about your property..just don't invite anybody. It works for me.

I have ended up being the guide, lodge and food provider(beer and spirits too) WAY too many times..not anymore.

Ease big fella....I was just ribbing you

I got friends and own my own place..heck I'm almost a local now. IMO, if your that protective about your property..just don't invite anybody. It works for me.

I have ended up being the guide, lodge and food provider(beer and spirits too) WAY too many times..not anymore.

That is about where I'm at too, although I really enjoy hunting with my friends, especially those of my own choosing.

There is one other situation that makes me wary. Its the casual acquantance that calls during hunting season, makes small talk in hopes that I will invite him along for the upcoming weekend. Once I do that however, he quickly mentions the three or four out-of-state friends that will be staying at his place and wants to know if they can join us too. So that's the situation. He has some visitors and is looking for a place for them to hunt for free.

I wasn't always this wary but its gotton to that point over the years.

1. Shoot the host
2. Pop open a beer-half way through the hunt
3. Shoot birds on the ground
4. Light a cigarette while standing in a middle of a CRP field
5. Ask to quit and go home at midday
6. Complain about sandburs
7. Complain about food plots or poor habitat
8. Shoot all the birds
9. Shoot at every bird that gets up with-in or out-of-range
10. Hunt and walk with safety off
11. Brag about your Preserve hunting experiences
12. Cause an overlimit by shooting an extra bird or two at the end of the hunt
13. Wonder away to hunt solo from the main group when hunting together
14. Arrive late
15. Drive vehicles on property
16. Show up intoxicated
17. Fail to appreciate the hosts work towards creating habitat
18. Shoot at rabbits, cats, racoons, coyotes etc without clearing that with the host first.
19. Stray from his property unto the neighbors.

Don't:
...shoot more than your personal limit unless specifically asked to party hunt.
...drive your truck on the field (ever heard of a fire?)
...forget to leave gates the way you found them.
...litter
...shoot at birds that are lower than head high.
...forget to to spend enough time searching for cripples.
...constantly yell or whistle at your dog.
...try to skirt bird cleaning duties
...say, "My wife won't east pheasant" and try to pawn off what you killed
...show up with just enough snacks/drinks for yourself
...claim every doubled up bird as your own
...turn roosters into red mist, givem 30 yards or don't shoot 3.5" shells

Here are a few things to not do. (based upon experience)

Don't:

1. Shoot the host
2. Pop open a beer-half way through the hunt
3. Shoot birds on the ground
4. Light a cigarette while standing in a middle of a CRP field
5. Ask to quit and go home at midday
6. Complain about sandburs
7. Complain about food plots or poor habitat
8. Shoot all the birds
9. Shoot at every bird that gets up with-in or out-of-range
10. Hunt and walk with safety off
11. Brag about your Preserve hunting experiences
12. Cause an overlimit by shooting an extra bird or two at the end of the hunt
13. Wonder away to hunt solo from the main group when hunting together
14. Arrive late
15. Drive vehicles on property
16. Show up intoxicated
17. Fail to appreciate the hosts work towards creating habitat
18. Shoot at rabbits, cats, racoons, coyotes etc without clearing that with the host first.
19. Stray from his property unto the neighbors.

That's a few things that come to mind. I'd like to hear a few more from you.

LM

AMEN..agree 100%

Don't:
...shoot more than your personal limit unless specifically asked to party hunt.
...drive your truck on the field (ever heard of a fire?)
...forget to leave gates the way you found them.
...litter
...shoot at birds that are lower than head high.
...forget to to spend enough time searching for cripples.
...constantly yell or whistle at your dog.
...try to skirt bird cleaning duties
...say, "My wife won't east pheasant" and try to pawn off what you killed
...show up with just enough snacks/drinks for yourself
...claim every doubled up bird as your own
...turn roosters into red mist, givem 30 yards or don't shoot 3.5" shells

Yes, seen all of those too. Another: Don't complain about the host's dog - no matter how bad the mutt is misbehaving. If you do then don't expect another invitation anytime soon.

Hey Landman, I thought of a couple more possible explainations for the F of F Phenom:

1. The guest doesn't really like the host as much as host thinks guest likes him, but he really likes to go pheasant hunting, so he has to invite someone he likes.:) hey, I'm talking about me not you!

2. Remember in high school when people couldn't make their own decision or go somewhere with out asking somebody else? Yeah, it's like that ,maybe.

3. F of F is similar to the camp fire story phenom in that the more F of F's the more the story/situation gets all out of whack. SNAFU

Hey Landman, I thought of a couple more possible explainations for the F of F Phenom:

1. The guest doesn't really like the host as much as host thinks guest likes him, but he really likes to go pheasant hunting, so he has to invite someone he likes.:) hey, I'm talking about me not you!

2. Remember in high school when people couldn't make their own decision or go somewhere with out asking somebody else? Yeah, it's like that ,maybe.

3. F of F is similar to the camp fire story phenom in that the more F of F's the more the story/situation gets all out of whack. SNAFU

I think its mostly that they don't understand the situation. Getting an invite from a landowner to hunt with him on his land that he's developed for pheasant hunting is not quite the same as getting an invite to hunt with someone on land where he has permission to hunt or to hunt on public land. I think its just a matter of a guy who, when he gets an invitation, talks to one of his friends about the hunt and then wonders if he can go along too. Of perhaps he just wants to take advantage of his invitation to invite some of his hunting buddies to go along. I don't think they realize that when they invite their friends along they are putting at risk any future invitations from the host. The more friends they try to take along the less likely they will get a return invitation. I have a few friends who never ask if they may bring someone else along to hunt. Its easy to invite them on a hunt because they don't make me deal with the friends-of-a-friend issue. Maybe they simply realize the situation better than most.

Last edited:
I think its mostly that they don't understand the situation. Getting an invite from a landowner to hunt with him on his land that he's developed for pheasant hunting is not quite the same as getting an invite to hunt with someone on land where he has permission to hunt or to hunt on public land. I think its just a matter of a guy who, when he gets an invitation, talks to one of his friends about the hunt and then wonders if he can go along too. Of perhaps he just wants to take advantage of his invitation to invite some of his hunting buddies to go along. I don't think they realize that when they invite their friends along they are putting at risk any future invitations from the host. The more friends they try to take along the less likely they will get a return invitation. I have a few friends who never ask if they may bring someone else along to hunt. Its easy to invite them on a hunt because they don't make me deal with the friends-of-a-friend issue. Maybe they simply realize the situation better than most.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment Landman.

I've been organizing hunts for about 15 years, and luckily haven't experienced this. Probably because we are all at least 200 miles from our hunting grounds, and our hunts are usually multi-day affairs, and I make it clear that I have x # of spots open, be it 1,2, etc. Sometimes I encourage the friend of friend thing if my primary invitee is coming on his own from a locale that is several hours (or more) away, and it would be nice to have a rider to share the time and expense with...however, I make it clear that they must be safe and sober hunters to be considered. I can see where if you are inviting someone to show up on a given day and he is coming on his own and it is a short distance away, you could easily get 2 or more for the price of 1...not good!

I used to hunt with my best man, but don't anymore for more than one reason. But this one time we're talking about going grouse hunting on Saturday morning. He shows up with 2 guys in his vehicle. One has a brand new hunting vest, brand new hunting pants. He's wearing bicycle riding gloves, the kind with no fingers and keeps smacking a fist into his palm, saying "I can't wait to blast something today". I should have gone home right then. The guy was continually behind me through the woods and I didn't like that. After a bit of that, the guy walks out in front of me. When I told him he was out of line, his response was that he had come upon a trail and wasn't going to pound the brush anymore. That's when I went off alone.

Waiting back at the vehicles for a while and the other two step out of the woods down the trail a bit. I ask where their buddy is and he's somewhere behind them. Just then a grouse flushes out of the woods and a few seconds later here's the guy stepping out right at that spot. When he got to the truck they asked him why he didn't shoot. His response was "I saw the road and figured nothing would be there, so I turned my safety on". That's when I told them I was going home. Hunt over.

And that's also why I am very careful who I invite, etc., these days.

I used to hunt with my best man, but don't anymore for more than one reason. But this one time we're talking about going grouse hunting on Saturday morning. He shows up with 2 guys in his vehicle. One has a brand new hunting vest, brand new hunting pants. He's wearing bicycle riding gloves, the kind with no fingers and keeps smacking a fist into his palm, saying "I can't wait to blast something today". I should have gone home right then. The guy was continually behind me through the woods and I didn't like that. After a bit of that, the guy walks out in front of me. When I told him he was out of line, his response was that he had come upon a trail and wasn't going to pound the brush anymore. That's when I went off alone.

Waiting back at the vehicles for a while and the other two step out of the woods down the trail a bit. I ask where their buddy is and he's somewhere behind them. Just then a grouse flushes out of the woods and a few seconds later here's the guy stepping out right at that spot. When he got to the truck they asked him why he didn't shoot. His response was "I saw the road and figured nothing would be there, so I turned my safety on". That's when I told them I was going home. Hunt over.

And that's also why I am very careful who I invite, etc., these days.

WOW!!! Now that's a true "friend of a friend" horror story!!!

1 story

I got a friend of a friend bring along story,we meet at cabelas and you gueesed it he brings a total stranger im saying great here we go,he brings his gsp im saying ok cool maybe this will be ok we get to our first field my dog goes on point and point after point along with other coveys of birds yet his dog hasnt had one point all day he has the balls to say i dnt like your dog he is to big of a runner after he has shot birds over him all day and retreived them for us wow! i went to the truck needless to say our next day hunt lasted about an hour lol! some people i tell ya

It's a tough issue regarding the friend of a friend coming hunting. I think the biggest thing is the safety that goes along with it. I like to know whom I'm hunting with and that they are thinking about safety rather than blowing up whatever moves. I agree with you Landman. I have relatives back in SD that I hunt with every year, on their land. My cousin & I are the guides, but there are some true rednecks that he brings along sometimes that scare me a little bit. (The whole tough guy image you know) I mean, their hunting/walking these fields in their cowboy boots with there pliers hanging off their wrangler jeans. Hopefully this year those guys don't show up. I bring guys back to SD from the Twin Cities each year, and I usually have one of my regular guys ask if they can bring another person back. Sometimes it's a yes depending on who it is and if we need anyone else, and sometimes it's just simply a "NO". Their grown men, I think they can handle me telling them no. Plus, if it weren't for me taking them back, they wouldn't have any land to hunt in SD. So they respect my opinion on how many people I say can go, and who I think can go.

Also, I wouldn't take it to well if a guy I didn't know much, that one of my friends brought along, started talking badly about my dog. My lab hunts well, so for me to hear a stranger talking about my dog being a problem, that guy would be staying home and not have the privelage of hunting the beautiful ringneck pheasant with me again.

On the otherhand, Uncle Buck always leaning to the positive side, notes some great relationships do sometimes grow out of "friends of friends".

I was looking forward to sharing some hunting with a business associate this fall. Last night I heard he was drunk and pulled a gun on a guy in the local watering hole---Think I'll pass!
________
Starcraft Ii Replay

Last edited:
On the otherhand, Uncle Buck always leaning to the positive side, notes some great relationships do sometimes grow out of "friends of friends".

I was looking forward to sharing some hunting with a business associate this fall. Last night I heard he was drunk and pulled a gun on a guy in the local watering hole---Think I'll pass!

He sounds like he might be a good time :rolleyes: Maybe he was just showing off a new possession :D

QUOTE]

I've met a few friends-of-friends that were enjoyable to hunt with over the years. There are a couple who I even look forward to hunting with. It's too bad there aren't more like that. The bottom line for me is that I want to choose who hunts with me on my property, not someone else. I'm hoping to do a better job of keeping the friends-of-friends at bay this year.

landman...I know what your talking about....regarding so-called friends. I have learned tough lessons that way. I always had good bird dogs and occasionally took people quail hunting. The last time I did that...the guy had a good time...loved my dogs and how well they hunted. He kept asking me to go again...I was usually busy...he he...then he asked one day...if you cant go...do you mind if I take your dogs to where you took me? I said no rather bluntly...then I told him to get his own _________ dogs. End of Story..he he

Back