Friends of Friends

landman

One of the most interesting parts of being a landowner and having land to hunt is the Friends-of-Friends Phenomonen. Each year I like to invite my usual friends to hunt with me but also I like to ask a few other friends that haven't hunted with me before. It seems that my usual buddies rarely, if ever, ask if they can bring along a buddy of theirs. I guess that is why they are my usual hunting buddies. However if I ask someone new if they would like to hunt with me for a day or a weekend I always brace for the inevitable "may I bring along so and so"? or "so and so's". It is hard to say no in those situations so invariable they bring along their "so and so's and we hunt pheasants for the last time. About the only way a friend-of-a-friend can get a repeat invitation is if they suck-up bigtime by complimenting my habitat, denounce road hunting, obeying all the hunting rules, be republican, be Lutheran, not a member of the NRA, be a so-so shot, practice safe hunting, have an obedient dog and have redneck tendencies. Oh, also not wear earrings or other body piercings- no mohawks either. Only then can they have a chance, abeit small, for the inner circle. My regular friends or those I invite personally don't have to meet these standards (except for the redneck tendencies) - just the friends-of-friends, most of whom I don't care to meet anyway.

LM

Last edited:
That is a little harsh, I personally would like to sport a mohawk if I had enough hair. I do understand what you are saying, I think that's why it's just me and my wife that hunt together. Or maybe no one else will hunt with me??????

You know that I'm just messing with you Landman. I agree that sometimes it is annoying inviting someone along and they want to bring 1 or 2 more people. I look at it as taking someone along that might not get to hunt very often so I'm just helping get more people in the field. I like to shoot birds but if someone can hunt with me that doesn't get to hunt often then I like to give them the chance. I don't have to pony up any money providing habitat like you do, and it's greatly appreciated that you do what you can for the wildlife. I can see your side of things though.....:thumbsup:

That's OK Landman. I just hunt the ditch in front of your place..everyday i'm out there

:D:D:D:D:cheers:

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or not landman, but I must admit that I did have a bit of a laugh at your rant! Personally, I am always a guest, never a host (I live in the city, but don't worry, no piercings or mohawks! lol!). My access to land is hard-earned through lots of scouting and polite asking as well as impeccable manners and behaviour when I am there and when it comes time to offer end-of season thank-yous and seasonal gifts etc... As a result, when friends of mine ask if they can come too, I always say "the landowner insists that it's only me who is allowed to hunt there". The only way that I will approach the landowner to see if I can bring a second person is if they show some sign of reciprocating by inviting me on a few hunts of their own... I got burned this way when I first started by a guy at work who came along on a few hunts, always asking me "where are you going THIS weekend? Want some company?", until I realized that he was just along for the ride and was never going to give anything back beyond an few bucks for gas! Didn't seem to realize how hard it is to earn the trust and welcome of a landowner!
-Croc

kiotehntr: I know you are and I am being a little sarcastic about it too. However, its a problem for me. Consider this - lets say I want to hunt with just three others some saturday during the season. I like to hunt in small groups because large groups seem like work to me and I don't want to do it often. Maybe opening weekend is ok but after that I like the small groups. So I make a list of three friends that I want to hunt with and call the first one to offer the invitation. Right away I get the "can my brother-in-law and his son come along too, we always hunt together". Now I'm in the position of either saying "no, the invitation is for you only" or I just let them hunt and scratch the other two. So if I let the first guy bring his friends along I have the three limit I set for myself. Now it gets to Friday night before the hunt and the phone rings and I hear "My next door neighbor would like to come along and he has a 15 year old son that's never hunted before, can they join us" That is hard to turn down so now I have five hunters of which only one is the person I wanted to hunt with in the first place.

I've also had a few invites show up with uninvited guests or maybe they call my cell phone while in route - extra hunters already in the SUV and on the way. These folks are guaranteed never to get another invite.

This is why I am very hesitant to invite new folks to hunt - I just don't want to go through this situation anymore. I'm thinking a possible solution is to make the invitation and then add "if you have any friend's you'd like to bring along the cost is $375 each per day, Please let me know at least two days before the hunt. Bring as many as you like up to 18 hunters, payment must be in advance, cash only"

LM

Last edited:
kiotehntr: I know you are and I am being a little sarcastic about it too. However, its a problem for me. Consider this - lets say I want to hunt with just three others some saturday during the season. I like to hunt in small groups because large groups seem like work to me and I don't want to do it often. Maybe opening weekend is ok but after that I like the small groups. So I make a list of three friends that I want to hunt with and call the first one to offer the invitation. Right away I get the "can my brother-in-law and his son come along too, we always hunt together". Now I'm in the position of either saying "no, the invitation is for you only" or I just let them hunt and scratch the other two. So if I let the first guy bring his friends along I have the three limit I set for myself. Now it gets to Friday night before the hunt and the phone rings and I hear "My next door neighbor would like to come along and he has a 15 year old son that's never hunted before, can they join us" That is hard to turn down so now I have five hunters of which only one is the person I wanted to hunt with.

This is why I am very hesitant to invite new folks to hunt - I just don't want to go through this situation anymore.

LM
And I completely agree with you. I have had that happen before myself.....:D

LANDMAN. Been there done that and understand what you are saying, but your exclusion of NRA members is a bit unsettling. I suppose given my leanings, I should require an NRA card before allowing each individual to hunt?
Sounds a little elite-liberal bias to me.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited:
I don't get it. I'm a suck up?

I didn't mean it that way. It's the friends-of-friends that would need to suck-up or pay money in order to get invited back. My own friends can get invited back just because they are a friend. By the way, I'd be more than honored to have you as a guest some time. I'd enjoy that a lot.

Hope that clears things up. I did not write that post too well so I deleted it.

LM

Last edited:
Crap, I guess I will have to pass this year Landman. Are you going to ban the DU (Ducks Unlimited) folks too?

Last edited:
. About the only way a friend-of-a-friend can get a repeat invitation is if they suck-up bigtime by complimenting my habitat, denounce road hunting, obeying all the hunting rules, be republican, be Lutheran,

So there is no chance that a catholic with gapped teeth and two duck boats and a Pudel pointer would be able to hunt with you or on your land maybe bring a case of beer of your choice would help ?? :cheers:

I agree with the "just say no" approach. All it will take is one time for your friends to get the hint.

I am extremely cautious about asking to bring a friend when invited to hunt on someone's land. It's getting more difficult each year to get on private land and if given the opportunity I don't want to screw it up.

Years ago I had permission to hunt some good land SW of Aberdeen pretty much when ever I wanted. One Sunday I took a guy I knew along to hunt with me. Unknown to me, the guy goes back out there with his friends and courts the landowner. They even start paying him to hunt. A few years later I couldn't get on the land anymore and the guy I took out one time and his buddies are hunting it frequently. A lesson learned.

I agree with the "just say no" approach. All it will take is one time for your friends to get the hint.

I am extremely cautious about asking to bring a friend when invited to hunt on someone's land. It's getting more difficult each year to get on private land and if given the opportunity I don't want to screw it up.

Years ago I had permission to hunt some good land SW of Aberdeen pretty much when ever I wanted. One Sunday I took a guy I knew along to hunt with me. Unknown to me, the guy goes back out there with his friends and courts the landowner. They even start paying him to hunt. A few years later I couldn't get on the land anymore and the guy I took out one time and his buddies are hunting it frequently. A lesson learned.

Full-mount....GROUND AND POUND!! Wow, some people. He needs a beating!

Back