Feeding raw meat/bones?

pnsballard

I've seen a couple of folks feed their gundog whole/raw meat such as chicken leg quarters or beef portions (scraps from local butcher?). They claim a boosted immune system and better nutrition they are built for to begin with--they are carnivores afterall. Makes sense but before I make the plunge or even periodically give my best bud a leg quarter or pork chop just wondering what athers might be doing. Anyone notice a difference in hunt intensity if the dog is on a raw meat diet or faster recovery/better physique?

On a side note--I've also started a thread about hip dysplasia and hip replacement surgery. I'm already thinking this may be a good approach for Dakota's recovery post surgery. Thoughts anyone?

Watch out for chicken bones. Had one get stuck in a dogs throat once had to knock her out before removing it.I give mine the large leg bones with some meat on them.When they start getting sharp edges on them that's when they get a new one. I also give mine meat on a regular basis. I talk to and got to be friends with the local butcher and knows how to cut meat for the dogs.If you can make friends with a small local butcher and explain to him on what you want they'll help you because he wants repeat business.That's what I did is made friends with the local butcher and it helps my dogs.

I've heard that about chicken bones but I thought that was a danger if they are cooked but that the bones crumble like chalk when raw. I suppose that's the difference between raw beef bones and raw chicken bones.

To the other point however. Do you see/notice a difference/advantage of any sort when your dog is eating it regularly compared to other dogs or maybe some of your own dogs you maybe did not have on raw meat? Just wondering if it is an appreciable difference. Can't help but believe the processing of dog food cooks away a lot of the nutrients.

Think of as if it were you if you never ate meat or other nutrients and then all of a sudden you decided to try it then you would benifit greatly from it and so will the dog as for hunting intensity there is no difference its meat not some magic food that helps them find birds

Think of as if it were you if you never ate meat or other nutrients and then all of a sudden you decided to try it then you would benifit greatly from it and so will the dog as for hunting intensity there is no difference its meat not some magic food that helps them find birds

LOL...I know it is not magic that helps them find birds but just wonder if there is a boost to the drive/energy level. Just like any other diet change, I would think you'd have to ease your dog into it vs. going cold turkey. I've seen a recent post from a guy in Idaho who feeds his dogs a raw meat diet and he claims his dogs (Vizslas) are a little more muscular/heartier than other Vizslas in the area. Just seeing if others have a similar experience.

In a sense it does help my gsp.She has a sensitive stomach.I feed her a combination of meat,dry food and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or plain yogurt.This combination helps her stomach stay settled and imo helps keep weight on in the winter.She has stayed at 65 lbs. for 2 yrs. now and I've been working her and training throughout the winter as well in the summer.It seems like she recovers from mishaps better too.She is accident prone so I have to watch where she goes and what she does.I've spent more than 2,000 on her coming up with cut pads that require 5 or more stitches or pulling nail coverings off or something else.

My wife and I were not happy with any dog food we we finding and a little nervous about a raw food diet. Our older lab was experiencing some health problems and our vet gave us a a recipe of ground turkey, brown rice, sweet potatoes and carrots. We were making food every other week for our two dogs. The dogs loved the food and we saw a definite difference in their health. We found this product Fresh Pet, http://freshpet.com/ which is very similar to what we we making, it is a cooked, not processed food. We seem to be having the same results, without the hassle of making food.

I shot a deer and fed my dogs raw venison for awhile. It made one of my dogs kinda weird-bloodthirsty or something. He got very possessive. I quit feeding it after that.

The major dog food companies spend a lot of money on research to make foods that are healthy and have the proper nutrients for our dogs. Why would I think I could improve on what they have developed by feeding raw meat or any other products? I've had hunting dogs for 40 years, always fed a quality dog food and always had healthy dogs without trying to supplement their diet. I know different dogs do better on different foods and some do take some special diets. But for the average guy to think they can improve on years of research just doesn't make sense to me. But each to their own.

What makes a Dog food manufacturer think they can do better than nature? Long before we had dog food companies we had dogs, eating omnivorous diets and doing just fine. Convenience and consistentcy are the best reason for dry dog food. I'm sure that a dry premium dog food is fine most of the time, but if the melamine poisoning of a few years ago, taught us anything, it's this, don't fool yourself, all that effort and expense on dog food "research", is aimed precisely at the minimal cost of production and the maximum return on investment. Those national commercials really ad to the nutritional value. The big agri-business concerns are about as concerned with your dogs long term welfare, and budget, as Mobil, Exxon, and BP are with your monthly household fuel costs. They both want you to go on living, while expending as much as possible toward their bottom line. I don't feed chicken bones, rib bones, because they splinter, and as George said choking is a real probability, or deer, elk, moose, etc., because I don't want wasting disease nor do I want to help my dogs down that road. You can cook a complete ration for your dog, just like you do for yourself. Now if we can trust the human food supply we'd all be fine. I have done business with several of the biggest names in Pet food, I have extruded my own, I have also had the stuff analyzed. By necessity any dry dog food, with say 30% protien, may in fact, and probably does have meat as it's first ingredient, but ingredients 2-4 will be some kind of grain, oats, oat groats, corn gluten meal, wheat mids, rice bran, ground rice, ground corn, wheat, hominy, and of course the old standby soybean meal, vastly outnumbering the meat value. Meat sources like salmon, turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, are all from not for human consumption sources, may contain feathers, feather meal, downer animals, and organs not thought of traditionally as edible food. Now if you have ever read a hotdog label,and realize what is allowed in those for human consumption, then recognize what goes in pet food is lower on the list! I use dry dog food, but I supplement as much as is practical with human grade cooked meats, mostly burger and chicken, appropriate bones, frozen veges, and brown rice. Learn to read the label, and read between the lines, to what the label actually is saying sometimes by ommision. If the cheapest lamb or salmon is 7.99 per pound at the store, how much lamb or salmon is in a 35-50# bag of dog food, that sells for $40.00 and the retailer makes 27.5% markup , or 14.00 to 8.00 on? Think the manufacturer makes as much as the retailer? You'd be right again. Factor in transportation cost, labor, packaging, advertising, promotion..... how much is left for ingredients? That's why they buy melamine tainted wheat gluten from China, and why we eat some fantastic amount of corn syrup sweetener in pop, rather than sugar, it's not better!!! It's cheaper, it doesn't immediately kill you, and the long term effects are unproven, even if dubious. Any proof will be meaningless, because we and our dogs will be long gone, before that, just like our (it's harmless), chain smoking granparents.

Well put oldandnew.

We have raised dogs for over 25 years and I have had hunting dogs all of my 47 year old life. I can tell you this, these days..nearly every dog that lives to be 12-15 years old, has fatty tumors on them some where. This never use to happen on any dog we raised. Now it's near 100% by the time they reach that 12-15. The only thing that could be causing this is the dog foods. Do any of you know..dog food company's were using euthanized dogs and cats as protein in their foods? Why yes they were and still may be. Vets were finding traces of the sedatives used to put the animals to sleep with and antibiotics in the blood stream of pets in their care. This was causing serous health concerns.

Also, with the demand for corn at a all time high. Dog food was/is getting some of the poorest quality corn on the market. Mold is a real problem.

Feeding raw chicken, beef, pork or other meats? Not for me...if you inter act with your dog at all. The risk of he or she transferring Escherichia coli (e-coli), Salmonella, Etc is very high. Also bones are a no, no except for large beef bones and only when kept an eye on.

Cooked boneless meat, eggs, rice, potatoes, carrots, beets and the likes are OK in the right proportions.

Onpoint

If your going to feed bones, just remember to never feed cooked bones as they are brittle and can splinter. Always feed raw bones that are big enough so the dog isn't tempted to swallow whole.

Raw chicken backs/necks are good for dogs as is Sardines, Salmon etc..

Last edited:
"Also, with the demand for corn at a all time high. Dog food was/is getting some of the poorest quality corn on the market. Mold is a real problem. "

It is scary that there has been so many recalls on major brand dog foods over the past couple of years.

I have said before and continue to say Purina makes a good product. I know - I worked there for a couple of years. Find a Purina Recall... - you won't.

Each plant has a quality control department that analyzes every load of anything that is brought to the factory, and reject it if it doesn't meet standards.

They formulate food to keep your pet healthy. They feed a specific food to a number of dogs and as they do they periodically do bone and muscle scans on the animal to find the mix that keeps them the healthiest.

Do they try to make money? you bet, but is it at the expense of your dog's health? No.

Chuck

Didn't read through all the posts. But I will feed dog food, and if I could afford it, and such, I wouldn't hesitate to feed RAW. I do give mine raw tuckey necks, and chicken wings as treats and such, and they love it. Keeps their teeth clean. Won't give them any sort of cooked bones. I run dogs in cattle pasture, and the landowner had a cow die there. After nature took it's course, I grabbed a couple of the big femurs and let the dogs knaw on them for a while.

I can't say that they make the dogs more "muscular". I'd think proper conditioning would do that.

I have said before and continue to say Purina makes a good product. I know - I worked there for a couple of years. Find a Purina Recall... - you won't.

Each plant has a quality control department that analyzes every load of anything that is brought to the factory, and reject it if it doesn't meet standards.

They formulate food to keep your pet healthy. They feed a specific food to a number of dogs and as they do they periodically do bone and muscle scans on the animal to find the mix that keeps them the healthiest.

Do they try to make money? you bet, but is it at the expense of your dog's health? No.

Chuck

I did a simple internet search and found both cat and (Alpo), dog food recalls during the melamine scare in 2007. Actually the fact that Nestle' Purina even markets Alpo, and a half a dozen like products, disturbs me as much as anything. We could go into the record fine for mixing bovine source blood and bone meal into cattle feed meant for animals destined for human consumption, but I think you get the point.

I like going down to the farmers market in Minneapolis, and there's a butcher there that sells raw cow/beef bones for dogs. I always get the bigger/femur bone. He even has some that are smoked.

I have yet to find a commercial food that will sustain my Springers when hunting several days in a row. Keep in mind I am talking wild birds in very rugged SD hunting conditions. I use "Taste of The Wild" as a base ration. (This food sustains them well under normal conditons and results in less than half the stool than most "premium" brands). Some of the biggest names in the biz are the worst foods of all. When I go to SD for ten straight days of hunting, I hit the grocery and ask if they have any dated meat, then I mix this with some fiber such as sweet potatoes, mix in some Taste of the Wild so they still get the anti-oxidents, glucosamine etc. and forget about the size of their daily non-hunting ration. I feed them all they want. This along with daily massage and a close inspection for injuries keeps them going, and keeps us having fun. I only know about Springers and not other lower energy dogs such as the Labrador etc. This may make your Lab fat, as they tend to put on weight pretty easily anyway. I am in Murdo right now, 8 days in and dogs are still performing well.

I would never feed raw meat or whole bones to any dog. Just asking for trouble.

i don't recall being a proponent of feeding raw meat,re-read my post.

Back