Downsized Vehicle

I have an older Subaru Forester (2004)I bought used years ago as a commuter car when I was working downtown(60 miles round trip). I’d leave my 3/4 ton diesel in the driveway. To my surprise, this little car is one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. Super reliable, great fuel economy, and the awd- high clearance flat out eats up the snow!
it’s been on a few fly fishing trips and several bird hunting trips. I could fit two air crate kennels sxs in the back and all my gear in front of them( the back seat). I average 28 mpg in bumper to bumper traffic and 30-32 mpg on open highway. I replaced the original clutch @185k miles.(has 250k on it) it still runs like the day I bought it. The down side is- road noise is loud( not sure if all hatchback type cars are like this or it’s a soob thing) also the 2004 cab is small and is definitely an adjustment for a bigger driver.

Decision has been made. I've decided to keep my 2013 Ford Expedition. It's just too good a vehicle to give up. It's in "like new" condition with only 79,000 miles and rides like a Caddy. Going forward I will probably only put about 6-7,000 miles a year on it so gas mileage in not really an issue. Driving back from Arizona this month and running 70-75 mph I averaged 17.7 mpg. I won't be driving it to Arizona in the future as we'll be taking the wife's 2020 Enclave.

The Honda CR-V in AWD is a great rig plus lifetime powertrain warranty puts it ahead of the pack. If looking for small SUV that would be my choice. I drove a new Kia Sorrento last week and that dude will move. I drive an F150 and my wife's in an Enclave as well. It's hard for me to be comfortable in the Kia but the Honda is roomier.

Love my Toyota Sienna van...remove 2nd and 3rd seats, drop in a 4’ x8’ sheet of plywood, and 4 dog crates and 2coolers fit perfectly. Another sheet of plywood sits on top the crates and creates a flat surface for guns and duffles. Sliding side doors allow for easy access to front crates, rear lift gate offers access to rear crates. I drive this year round, the Silverado only gets about 3-4 months of use during last 2-3 months of the hunting season....

Love my Toyota Sienna van...remove 2nd and 3rd seats, drop in a 4’ x8’ sheet of plywood, and 4 dog crates and 2coolers fit perfectly. Another sheet of plywood sits on top the crates and creates a flat surface for guns and duffles. Sliding side doors allow for easy access to front crates, rear lift gate offers access to rear crates. I drive this year round, the Silverado only gets about 3-4 months of use during last 2-3 months of the hunting season....
BB: Just read your message and wondered how your van handles deep snow and some of the unimporved roads in SD? It appears to be low to the ground...

Yes, true statement. I hunt this rig all September in MT/ND, and much of Oct in ND/SD...deep snow would be an issue, but I drive it around Duluth in winter in snow on paved roads.... if unimproved roads are dry it’s great. Not a big deal to stay off unimproved roads if need be while hunting sharpies and pheasants if conditions were such. Not a perfect rig for all situations! But I love it....my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆

my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆
I agree 100% with this. I've gotten stuck more time in my truck than I ever did with cars I've owned. Always because I think I can go through anything with 4 wheel drive haha

Yes, true statement. I hunt this rig all September in MT/ND, and much of Oct in ND/SD...deep snow would be an issue, but I drive it around Duluth in winter in snow on paved roads.... if unimproved roads are dry it’s great. Not a big deal to stay off unimproved roads if need be while hunting sharpies and pheasants if conditions were such. Not a perfect rig for all situations! But I love it....my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆

Thought you knew!!!
4x4 drive is specifically designed to get you further back in the cr#% before you get stuck-and increase the walk out and the towing bill😳😀

Just bought a 2013 AWD pilot. it fits two large kennels side by side with second row seat up and third row seat down. High way mpg at 26. Mixed driving around 22 mpg. Driving 80 mph, mpg drops to about 24. You can push a button from the drivers seat to open the tail gate. Very nice when you are road hunting. Still have a 2003 Ford SuperCREW but don't like the idea of kennels in bed of truck for a long cold drive, and 15mpg at best is rough. Pilot has way more room than the F150. Although, when your dogs get skunked, it's nice to have them in the bed of the truck and not up in your face!

This thread is getting a little old but thought I would update everyone on what I bought. In June I sold my 2013 Expedition to a private party and purchased a new 2021 GMC Acadia. I got such a heck of a deal on the Acadia that I couldn't turn it down. $7K off of window sticker. So far I'm very happy with the Acadia but it was an adjustment getting use to the smaller size. Gas mileage has been very good. I'll see how it goes this fall but I'm sure it will work just fine as 90% of the time it's just me and the dog.

i had one, bought it in 2008...had 3 suburbans prior to that, never felt handicapped as far as the smaller size...you flatten out the 2nd and 3rd row of seats and you have a huge area back there. Mine wasn't reliable, think I unloaded it with about 130k or something...lots of issues, probably not that way now. My first suburban was fantastic...'94...second one was OK, not quite as reliable...that was a '98...last one was an '02, I think, could of been an '03...not nearly as good as the first. Got the Acadia after that, last place of those 4...bought my silverado 1/2 ton 5 years ago, good truck so far, but I drive my sienna van 90% of the time...best dog vehicle I've had...4 ruff tuff crates on a 4' x 8' piece of plywood and room for 2 full size coolers...will start in MT in a week or two with that, cross into ND, and probably drive the van all of October in ND and even a SD trip or two...the 4 x 4 pickup comes out in nov..run that til the end of the season...Acadia was a great design and great use of space...mileage wasn't much better than the last suburban...23 or so on the highway if doing 60 mph...75 mph or more and lucky to get 18-19 mpg...average driver puts on 18,000 miles or so...get a vehicle getting 5 mpg better, what do you get? about 180 gallons...$540...so, even go to a 10 mpg difference, you're talking about a grand annually...not chump change, but if I'm driving a RAV 4 vs a full size pickup, or whatever, that $1,000 seems a bit trivial. I have taken our RAV 4 on a SD pheasant hunt...alone...with 3 dogs...no big deal...a buddy and I took my chevy equinox on a 5 day sharptail hunt with 4 labs...no crates, but it worked pretty well...did it to prove a point...early season, dry conditions, very limited amount of gear needed...prefer the van or my 1/2 ton, but doable.

Last edited:
This thread is getting a little old but thought I would update everyone on what I bought. In June I sold my 2013 Expedition to a private party and purchased a new 2021 GMC Acadia. I got such a heck of a deal on the Acadia that I couldn't turn it down. $7K off of window sticker. So far I'm very happy with the Acadia but it was an adjustment getting use to the smaller size. Gas mileage has been very good. I'll see how it goes this fall but I'm sure it will work just fine as 90% of the time it's just me and the dog.
Did you consider the Bronco? I went with the 4 door version over the 2 door version just for the pheasant hunts.

Amazing number of import drivers here. I guess that is a good way to tell the locals from the others...that and a trailer full of dogs! Full sized 4x4 domestic pick-ups are the order of the day here. I guess if I had to travel a thousand miles I might want something with better mileage. Buy what fulfills your needs and makes you feel good! I am just lucky to almost never need to drive 50 miles on any pheasant hunt I go on. A few places I hunt are back in crop fields, not driving a car back there and we do get snow/rain here, so full size 4X4 pick-up for me and about everyone else around here. Staying on the roads and using parking lots, cars should work.

Did you consider the Bronco? I went with the 4 door version over the 2 door version just for the pheasant hunts.
I did look at them but did not seriously consider one. I felt they were a little too small compared to the Acadia or even the Edge. I saw a new red Bronco running around town the other day and they are a cute, good looking rig.

The 2021 Acadia I got is a SLT with a V6 and all the bells and whistles. GM downsized the Acadia in 2018 and it's definitely smaller than my wife's 2020 Buick Enclave. But it fits my needs just fine.

I did look at them but did not seriously consider one. I felt they were a little too small compared to the Acadia or even the Edge. I saw a new red Bronco running around town the other day and they are a cute, good looking rig.
Hmmm, sounds like you viewed the Bronco Sport. The Bronco is just as big as the Enclave, once you see one in person (a real full sized Bronco) the difference will be quite clear. Pics to come this hunting season :)

Back