Downsized Vehicle

I have an older Subaru Forester (2004)I bought used years ago as a commuter car when I was working downtown(60 miles round trip). I’d leave my 3/4 ton diesel in the driveway. To my surprise, this little car is one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. Super reliable, great fuel economy, and the awd- high clearance flat out eats up the snow!
it’s been on a few fly fishing trips and several bird hunting trips. I could fit two air crate kennels sxs in the back and all my gear in front of them( the back seat). I average 28 mpg in bumper to bumper traffic and 30-32 mpg on open highway. I replaced the original clutch @185k miles.(has 250k on it) it still runs like the day I bought it. The down side is- road noise is loud( not sure if all hatchback type cars are like this or it’s a soob thing) also the 2004 cab is small and is definitely an adjustment for a bigger driver.

Dakotazeb

Decision has been made. I've decided to keep my 2013 Ford Expedition. It's just too good a vehicle to give up. It's in "like new" condition with only 79,000 miles and rides like a Caddy. Going forward I will probably only put about 6-7,000 miles a year on it so gas mileage in not really an issue. Driving back from Arizona this month and running 70-75 mph I averaged 17.7 mpg. I won't be driving it to Arizona in the future as we'll be taking the wife's 2020 Enclave.

JMc

Super Moderator
The Honda CR-V in AWD is a great rig plus lifetime powertrain warranty puts it ahead of the pack. If looking for small SUV that would be my choice. I drove a new Kia Sorrento last week and that dude will move. I drive an F150 and my wife's in an Enclave as well. It's hard for me to be comfortable in the Kia but the Honda is roomier.

benelli-banger

Love my Toyota Sienna van...remove 2nd and 3rd seats, drop in a 4’ x8’ sheet of plywood, and 4 dog crates and 2coolers fit perfectly. Another sheet of plywood sits on top the crates and creates a flat surface for guns and duffles. Sliding side doors allow for easy access to front crates, rear lift gate offers access to rear crates. I drive this year round, the Silverado only gets about 3-4 months of use during last 2-3 months of the hunting season....

jonnyB

Love my Toyota Sienna van...remove 2nd and 3rd seats, drop in a 4’ x8’ sheet of plywood, and 4 dog crates and 2coolers fit perfectly. Another sheet of plywood sits on top the crates and creates a flat surface for guns and duffles. Sliding side doors allow for easy access to front crates, rear lift gate offers access to rear crates. I drive this year round, the Silverado only gets about 3-4 months of use during last 2-3 months of the hunting season....
BB: Just read your message and wondered how your van handles deep snow and some of the unimporved roads in SD? It appears to be low to the ground...

benelli-banger

Yes, true statement. I hunt this rig all September in MT/ND, and much of Oct in ND/SD...deep snow would be an issue, but I drive it around Duluth in winter in snow on paved roads.... if unimproved roads are dry it’s great. Not a big deal to stay off unimproved roads if need be while hunting sharpies and pheasants if conditions were such. Not a perfect rig for all situations! But I love it....my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆

Munster927

my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆
I agree 100% with this. I've gotten stuck more time in my truck than I ever did with cars I've owned. Always because I think I can go through anything with 4 wheel drive haha

david0311

Yes, true statement. I hunt this rig all September in MT/ND, and much of Oct in ND/SD...deep snow would be an issue, but I drive it around Duluth in winter in snow on paved roads.... if unimproved roads are dry it’s great. Not a big deal to stay off unimproved roads if need be while hunting sharpies and pheasants if conditions were such. Not a perfect rig for all situations! But I love it....my Silverado shines in picked corn, and sketchy minimum maintenance roads that are wet and muddy. But I get stuck in the 4 x 4 truck due to my stupidity! 😆

david0311

Thought you knew!!!
4x4 drive is specifically designed to get you further back in the cr#% before you get stuck-and increase the walk out and the towing bill😳😀

sjohn

Just bought a 2013 AWD pilot. it fits two large kennels side by side with second row seat up and third row seat down. High way mpg at 26. Mixed driving around 22 mpg. Driving 80 mph, mpg drops to about 24. You can push a button from the drivers seat to open the tail gate. Very nice when you are road hunting. Still have a 2003 Ford SuperCREW but don't like the idea of kennels in bed of truck for a long cold drive, and 15mpg at best is rough. Pilot has way more room than the F150. Although, when your dogs get skunked, it's nice to have them in the bed of the truck and not up in your face!