Dog Requirements

I know that I carry all my current Vet information with me in my truck. My dogs go everywhere with me and if something happened and I had to make an emergency stop at a vet clinic I like to have all their history with me so they don't have to waste time calling and faxing stuff back and forth to my current vet. It's pretty easy to have a file under the seat or in the glove box. Most of the equipment I bring with me seems to be dog related so why not add some paperwork to the pile just to be safe.

great post! I always say, better safe than sorry. Not worth the hassle.

vets in my area charge $20.00 for an office visit and $10.00 per health certificate. 3 dogs $50.00 bucks. Dogs need shots so time your yearly vaccines around travelling out of state. Having a health certificate is responsible dog ownership.Happy hunting.

Will someone please explain what a health certificate actually is?

I mean is it your receipt from the last vet visit showing that the dog is up to date on all of his/her shots?

The only official "Certificate" I have ever received from my vet is for rabies, tags plus certificate...:confused:

Also, it would seem vaccination protocols are changing and some vets have gone to every 3 years as apposed to yearly. If stopped by a CO who determines whether your dog is up to date or not based on the date of last vaccination. Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

I mean is it your receipt from the last vet visit showing that the dog is up to date on all of his/her shots?

The only official "Certificate" I have ever received from my vet is for rabies, tags plus certificate...:confused:

Also, it would seem vaccination protocols are changing and some vets have gone to every 3 years as apposed to yearly. If stopped by a CO who determines whether your dog is up to date or not based on the date of last vaccination. Inquiring minds want to know.

It is a piece of paper over and above your regular shot records they require to let you accross the border. The fence could be next.:D I just don't go... Perhaps we should tax income made here more, make them wait to fish for a couple weeks, and raise property TX on NR cabin owners here. It would cost me 35 $ per dog, and as said if not timed right and additional 35 for a vet visit. Making it $350 to bring my 5 dogs an hr from my home. And I feel I am a responsible pet owner with all my shot records....
The last time I went we were checked. We had one duck after being there for a half hr. The warden refused to believe us and ripped the truck apart. He was looking for birds. He ripped open my dog food and dumped it all over. Checked us for steel on and on. Asked for our dog papers and said he could have taken them for q teen if we had not had them. He semed up set he could not give us a ticket. I asked him to clean up the dog food and he refused.

Last edited:
The last time I went we were checked. We had one duck after being there for a half hr. The warden refused to believe us and ripped the truck apart. He was looking for birds. He ripped open my dog food and dumped it all over. Checked us for steel on and on. Asked for our dog papers and said he could have taken them for q teen if we had not had them. He semed up set he could not give us a ticket. I asked him to clean up the dog food and he refused.
Wow FC. If I was treated that way by an SD conservation officer, I'd probably be inclined to give my NR dollars to their neighbors to the north.

It is a piece of paper over and above your regular shot records they require to let you accross the border. The fence could be next.:D I just don't go... Perhaps we should tax income made here more, make them wait to fish for a couple weeks, and raise property TX on NR cabin owners here. It would cost me 35 $ per dog, and as said if not timed right and additional 35 for a vet visit. Making it $350 to bring my 5 dogs an hr from my home. And I feel I am a responsible pet owner with all my shot records....

I would be in jail

It means quarantine your dogs for up to two weeks to check for rabies.

Thanks, is that in Mn.? It sounds like Wi. wardens too-not the friendliest bunch in general. I have up to date shot records including rabies and tomorrow will get the parvo, lyme and bordatello updates. What I don't have is a health certificate form which is a seperate document from the shot record print-out I get from my Vet-apparently we don't need that in SD and I'll rely on Zeb's comments about that and just bring the shot record printout that I always bring. If we see a SD warden this year, maybe I'll ask him his/her opinion.

Completely uncalled for. Easy to say this without being in your shoes, but I would have made contact with his superiors.:rolleyes:

Completely uncalled for. Easy to say this without being in your shoes, but I would have made contact with his superiors.:rolleyes:

I second that. he crossed the line with the dog food. badge # next time.

Yea but I just went on hunting. I did not go back after that though. It has nothing to do with people out there, they were great, bussiness we visited etc. were great. Just that guy. He was a bit like Hittler.:D He used a magnet on every shell to make sure they were steel. Brand new shells I said. He replied he has seen where people take out the steel and reload lead.

Last edited:
FC, that CO should have been reported to higher authorities. How else to we either correct or eliminate that kind of behavior. That was true harassment. I'm sure his superiors would have loved to know what happened.

I sure hope that if anyone is ever treated like that in SD they get the CO's name and badge number and report them. There always has to be one "dickhead" in the bunch. I imagine every state has one but it's still totally uncalled for.

OH yea there out there. I have heard of a couple this side of the road as well. I just wanted to get away from the guy and move on. Dog was happy he got roast beef commercials, and eggs and hash browns and links to eat for a day or two.:D We did the rest of our hunting 3 hrs farther west. It was east of the James river valley area. After we got that Green head we split. He was impressed with the 100 yard blind retrieve accross the slough by the Shadow dog though, my last Lab. She swam accross, hit the shore , turned around, gave her an over left hand and she went about 20 yards, picked him up and swam back with our duck. I am sure they can do what they want, but he could have been just a bit more polite. Other run ins out there where we spent 90 % of our time were the useual pleasant experience with the C O. Pluss we confused him with one being from Houston TX and one from MN.

Last edited:

It is a piece of paper that says the vet looked at your dog and thinks its healthy. A $ maker for the vets, but in all fairness he is commenting in a sense on your relationship with the vet in keeping your dog healthy on a regular basis.

Just got back From SD. We did get checked by a DNR Officer, but only for our License. I asked him if he wanted to see both of my dogs Health Cert. He chuckled and said we never check for those, so he did not even want to see them. He did look over the birds that were in the cooler. Overall great experience with the CO. By the way, bird hunting was not the best, very wet wet wet!!!!

Just got back From SD. We did get checked by a DNR Officer, but only for our License. I asked him if he wanted to see both of my dogs Health Cert. He chuckled and said we never check for those, so he did not even want to see them. He did look over the birds that were in the cooler. Overall great experience with the CO. By the way, bird hunting was not the best, very wet wet wet!!!!

what town did you go to? Most COs wont ask unless they observe a dog sick or foaming in the mouth or bites another hunter/dog.

Back