Dog Requirements

Dakotazeb

Yesterday while hunting a public area I met and hunted with a guy and his teenage son from Minnesota. He was telling me that a Conservation Officer had stopped them and never asked to see their license but instead wanted to see the Health Certificates for their dogs. Fortunately they had the records along. I have never heard of this happening so I thought I would share it with everyone. Here is was the regulation states in the Hunting Handbook:

Dog Requirements
Dogs being brought into South Dakota are
required to have a health certificate from their local
veterinarian indicating that all shots are up-to-date
and they are disease-free animals. Dog owners
who have any questions concerning requirements
may call the Animal Industry Board at

Does that apply to residents as well? NO. Rabies tag good everywhere else. Just another example of being treated like a second class citizen.

Does that apply to residents as well? NO. Rabies tag good everywhere else. Just another example of being treated like a second class citizen.

For a person that has such a "hard on" for South Dakota you sure seem to visit this forum a lot. I, for one, am getting a little tired of your "second class citizen" bullshit. Why don't you take your negative comments somewhere else.

the regs for dog records are the same for most states, seems a little over the top that a conservation officer would check the dog record in lieu of asking for a valid hunt permit.......takes all kinds i guess.

I know Pierre, SD has a Parvo problem right now and its a big thing, I would assume people bringing their dogs from outside the state wouldnt want to be infected and brought back to your community OR be bringing an infected Parvo dog or any other dieases that we may not have in SD. i could be wrong, but i agree, that conservation officer probably was going over the top. If i was still an officer and i came across a sick dog at a hotel where hunters were, id THEN have a probable cause to ask for the papers to make sure this dog isnt sick before he came to the state.. Parvo is a big thing right now in SD... i know for one Pierre, SD has a problem and trying to contain it. My neighbor's dog died of parvo 3 weeks ago and i didnt know about it til my friend in the US Marshal's office told me about a black dog just died of parvo, i was like i knew my neighbor's dog was a black lab. He then told me the names and i said, damn, thats my neighbor!! glad my dog sophia has the Parvo shots. The vet said the owners never kept the dog's shots up to date and didnt have a record on the 6 months old Lab nor was it registered the dog with the city. Of course to register, youd have to have rabie shot records and a vet visit papers to get that done... My neighbors arent exactly responsible people... now i hear that the neighbors were fined for not registering their dogs into the city per ordinace law. not sure if they got fined for not containing or whatever to prevented this to happen.

but i could be blowing this out of water but I can see how SD wants to prevent any more dieases coming into SD that another state has that our state doesnt have.

Another $50.00-$60.00 per dog to add to the cost of a trip. They are only good for 30 days too. On a plane they are good for 10 days only.

Here is another slightly different point of view. My group flys out to SD each year for the opener. After the group got larger, we started having trouble getting the dogs on the plane and it became very expensive to fly them. Our answer was for one person (me) to drive the dogs and guns out and meet the rest of the group. I for one appreciate the health certificate. It helps keep my dogs healthy and keeps these guys from bringing a sick dog out. Now most of the time this would never be a problem because we all take very good care of our dogs, but one year a new guy to the group (a friend of a friend of a friend) asked if I could carry his dog out, "Sure" i said all I need is a current health certificate. When we left the guy didn't bring his dog to the pick up point. Turns out the dog had distemper and died a few days after we got home. Had I not asked for the certificate then they all could have been exposed.

damn, leave it to a friend of a friend of a friend.....it never fails, that is why i seldom hunt with more than 3 guys and i have to know/trust them implicitly.

I would agree that SD hunting rules are a little unfriendly to the out of stater. But when your the pheasant capital of the world you can get away with it. I posted the question of if guys brought health certificates with a while back and hardly any one doesguess I might start.

I started the original post as a FYI for everyone. I thought I might be able to save someone a problem while hunting our here. It's the first time I've ever heard of a CO asked someone for it either. But if Birdman is right about the Parvo problem then I can see why they might have stepped up enforcement. It's probably a good requirement as it may prevent a non-resident's dog from contracting a disease while in the state.

But if Birdman is right about the Parvo problem then I can see why they might have stepped up enforcement. It's probably a good requirement as it may prevent a non-resident's dog from contracting a disease while in the state.

I know the vet mentioned its a big parvo problem going on right now in Pierre, but as far as other towns or where other hunters are with their dogs.. i couldnt tell you. losing a hunting dog to parvo is a big thing and lot of hunters would regret alot of things so wouldnt hurt to go that extra step to make sure your dog doesnt pick anything up on the trip or before leaving for the trip. If sophia got sick the day before the trip and i spent $$$ for the trip, id cancel and eat the cost than to bury my dog bc i didnt stay home. no pheasant is worth shooting over a diease that'll be the death of my dog.

but still given that CO a reason to ask... all depends on Visual of the dog itself first before he can say can i see your papers? everything thing has to be doen or asked based on probable cause too. Im sure airports would make sure dogs have a clean bill of health too before boarding a dog. if i saw a dog foaming out of his mouth, or whining in pain or such indication that the dog is very uncomfortable, id be asking for papers and if that dog was proven to have such as parvo or other diease, i wouldnt want it to spread and cause another hunter's nightmare and go home to tell his family he lost the family/hunting dog.

i sure wouldnt want my GSP to pick something up if i decided i wanted to go to Kansas or colorado or any other state to hunt so clean bill of health is better than guessing your dog is okay.

I got no problem requiring everyone to show a current vaccination record. The health certificate only for out of staters is what I take issue with.

I got no problem requiring everyone to show a current vaccination record. The health certificate only for out of staters is what I take issue with.

I don't know. A disease problem is a real problem. Lack of a license is just a revenue generation problem. To me the former has priority.

I started the original post as a FYI for everyone. I thought I might be able to save someone a problem while hunting our here. It's the first time I've ever heard of a CO asked someone for it either. But if Birdman is right about the Parvo problem then I can see why they might have stepped up enforcement. It's probably a good requirement as it may prevent a non-resident's dog from contracting a disease while in the state.

Every dog should be vaccinated for Parvo, here's the thing..most kennel's do their own vaccinations. It's a cost factor. Now they want you to take the dog(s) to a vet that didn't give the shots and ask him/her to fill out a form that says they have their shots. what's the chances he/she is going to do that?

so basically having a health certificate is like a passport for a dog to cross the border of another state... if the dog doesnt have it, its consider illegal? I dont remember theres a law on that but to follow a city or county ordinace to check if the dog has it's rabie shots and other common shots like distemper or even for parvo which most vets provide the shots at any visit.

id be curious what gave the CO the probable cause to ask for the papers and where did this happen at.

so if i came to Ks to hunt, id have to have a health clearance rather than a vet bill saying she has her parvo, distemper, and rabie shots already done say, weeks ago before going to KS... isnt good enough?

I know crossing the border of canada requires alot for dogs as well too.

so if i came to Ks to hunt, id have to have a health clearance rather than a vet bill saying she has her parvo, distemper, and rabie shots already done say, weeks ago before going to KS... isnt good enough?

I do not know if KS has the same laws as SD, but if you come to SD from another state a vaccination record is not good enough. You need a health certificate which is not the same as a vaccination record.

For a person that has such a "hard on" for South Dakota you sure seem to visit this forum a lot. I, for one, am getting a little tired of your "second class citizen" bullshit. Why don't you take your negative comments somewhere else.

That's the response expect from "friendly", South Dakota. Thanks, meanwhile I'll read and post where I think appropriate. When you want to use a logical argument to refute my opinion feel free.

Kansas does not require any of the above mentioned to hunt your dog and as far as breeders giving their own shots yes we do for the cost but only the good responsible ones take the extra step to go online and get a shot record for each pup i have givin shot records for every dog or pup that has ever left this place and its kinda like an insurance policy I know they had it and here is the proof it is alot of extra paper work but its worth it in the end

I do not know if KS has the same laws as SD, but if you come to SD from another state a vaccination record is not good enough. You need a health certificate which is not the same as a vaccination record.

okay so i mean if i was a ks resident leaving to SD for a hunting trip. so where do a person obtain such health certificate? at a VET?

yes birdman the veterinarian has to do an exam and fill it out just like they would if you went to the dr for a physical

Back