Dog Requirements

I've taken my dogs on fishing trips into Canada multiple times and all that is required is a rabies certificate.

Here is the Canadian government link: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/animal/imp/petani/canin4e.shtml

I find it odd that a neighboring state has stricter requirements than a neighboring country. I've always brought the rabies certificates to SD but suppose I will speak with my vet about this.

I wonder what percentage of hunting dogs brought to SD each year do NOT have a certificate. My guess is 90% or more.

As I said, it's a USDA regulation..you might not need a health certificate to go though customs, but the state your entering into does require one. It's all up to the individual if they want to take the chance they will never be asked for one.

"Bringing a Dog into the United States

Pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry.

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.
Proof of Rabies Vaccination

Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.
Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs

Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement (see below) and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination). Spanish, French, and Russian translations of form CDC 75.37 are available, but must be completed in English."

This has spilled over into cattle and other animals traveling to shows and fairs. It is now a requirement to have a TB test done on all cattle crossing state lines. The TB test is expensive enough and not good long enough to be valid for the 4h/open class show season. Many people who traveled across state lines during the summer fair season. Have stopped doing so because of the cost of these required vaccinations/tests.

Last edited:
damn, leave it to a friend of a friend of a friend.....it never fails, that is why i seldom hunt with more than 3 guys and i have to know/trust them implicitly.

You are soooo right on this, I have since stopped taking dogs and supplies from hunters that are not is our "Core Group" I also refuse to hunt next to or near a hunter that I do not know very well. Too many "close" calls for me to risk. But you are dead on with your comment.

Guys, I'm going to call the local GFP office tomorrow and see what information I can obtain on what they are looking for and how often they might check hunters. I'll also ask about shot records in lieu of a certificate of health and about those hunters that give their own shots. I'll pass on my findings with a post here.

Honestly I've never given it much thought and when I've gone out of state to hunt North Dakota, Minnesota and Kansas I've never carried any records for my dogs. Not only that, but there is so much controversy today about vaccinations and how we might be over vaccinating our dogs. But that's a whole different issue.

I've been doing some research on the internet regarding the various state's requirements. I came across this link from the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association). It deals with CVI's (Certificates of Veterinary Inspection). At the bottom of the page is a link to a chart that gives the requirements of each state.

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/certificates_veterinary_inspection.asp

Guys, I'm going to call the local GFP office tomorrow and see what information I can obtain on what they are looking for and how often they might check hunters. I'll also ask about shot records in lieu of a certificate of health and about those hunters that give their own shots. I'll pass on my findings with a post here.
Thanks again Zeb. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.

I understand the intent but not sure that it really provides any value. I agree with bringing vaccination records or having vaccination requirements but the certificate IMO is meaningless. It just indicates on a specific date the dog was free of disease. It doesnt mean a week later that the dog couldnt have a disease. I think they're of more value when purchasing a dog from out of state then anything else (value for the purchaser).

Now the other issue is many people bring more than 1 dog. Some may have 2 or 3 so it becomes $100 or $150 expense, which for many people is very significant cost factor. For some that will mean $100 OR $150 less that they will spend at local businesses. So it could have an economic impact. Someone earlier commented that they thought approx 90% do not get the certs. I think that may be true. I know I have talked to many about this and while some bring vax records, I have yet to find anyone who gets a cert. Not say that is representative of general hunter population but I suspect until it is enforced, most will not comply. Again, if it really provided value I would be all for it but I just dont see where it does. Nevertheless, I will get a certificate next time I come down. BTW, I have been stopped a number of times and never asked.

I had a chance today to talk to a Conservation Agent about this, His take was that there is in some cases a short interval exception, such as 30 days, which allows a dog to be in a state without the specific VIC. That Vet Inspection certificates applied mostly to dogs coming into the state permanently. Having read the Vet link, this evening provided by Dakota Zeb, I am inclined to believe that we are all at risk, without a specific health certificate within a 30day window, regardless. All that is required for a really bad trip, is one over-zealous official of some sort. having a lifetime experience with horses, I can tell you, I wouldn't dream of driving 50 miles in my own state, let alone across a state border without Neg. coggins, and a vet certificate with drawings of the horse, and any other identifying marks necessary to prove identity. You would have a better sporting chance trying to sneak a dirty nuclear devise. In the south, I have been run down by the highway patrol, and state produce inspectors, pulling an empty, hosed out horse trailer at night! So now it comes to dogs. Kansas, Nebraska, both have a 90 day season, so 3 times to the vet, with each dog. Even if you can get by the expense, which is formidable, the hassle is really beyond the pale.

I think they are dumb laws and just one more reason I don't go any more. There is more farm mutts running around the country side that never see a vet. The well cared for bird dogs that come are the safest dogs on the plannet. Just my 2 cents.

I think they are dumb laws and just one more reason I don't go any more. There is more farm mutts running around the country side that never see a vet. The well cared for bird dogs that come are the safest dogs on the plannet. Just my 2 cents.

oh i agree.. just how my neighbor's dog is a mutt and has NEVER seen a shot since that dog was born and it died of Parvo 3 weeks ago. but I am glad my FULL blood GSP had her shots since we brought her home at 8 weeks old bc otherwise id have a dead dog too bc the MUTT and my GSP have met.

Lets not forget the cats. All of them in SD are vaccinated

I didn't know they allow cats in S.D. might eat a pheasant. What's really stupid about all the states, is there is not some interstate agreement to honor each others vaccination protocol. A rabid dog is a danger to everybody, as is a dog not vaccinated for rabies, but a dog unvaccinated for Parvo, Corona, etc. basically just at risk himself. As far as rabies you'd think a tag would do it. I'm sure we have the greedy vet lobby to thank for this, used to be we vaccinated our own dogs and horses, had tags and all. Now we go to the vet and a $1.75 shot becomes a $75.00 event. Won't give the shot without a physical, fecal sample, on and on. One big upsale opportunity for the vet.

OK, I just got off the phone with one of the local Convervation Officers. He said that normally they do not check hunters for shot records, health certificates, etc. on their dogs. He was suprised to hear that someone did get checked. His opinion was much the same as most of ours. That hunting dogs are pets and are generally well taken care of and up to date on shots. He thought the only time if would be an issue is if someone's dog bit someone. Then they would need to have evidence that the dog was disease free and current on shots. Otherwise they would quarantine the dog for 2 weeks.

Personally I don't think this is a big issue and your chances of getting checked are slim. The CO I talked to said if you had shot records along that showed the dog was current on vaccinations you should be good to go.

He said the rule was added to the regualtions at the request of the Animal Industry Board and he was going to call and visit with them. He will get back to me if he comes up with any new information.

I'm sorry if I got everyone stirred up regarding this issue but I was just attempting to inform you non-residents that do come to SD of this regulation. If you have a healthy dog that is current on its shot I wouldn't worry about it. I'll let you know if I hear back from the GFP.

I know that I carry all my current Vet information with me in my truck. My dogs go everywhere with me and if something happened and I had to make an emergency stop at a vet clinic I like to have all their history with me so they don't have to waste time calling and faxing stuff back and forth to my current vet. It's pretty easy to have a file under the seat or in the glove box. Most of the equipment I bring with me seems to be dog related so why not add some paperwork to the pile just to be safe.

I hunted Iowa for 20 years and now this will be my third year in South Dakota. If nothing else, being from Michigan, I have learned to respect the laws no matter where you hunt and fish. I may sometimes disagree with a law but I am a guest in the state and should honor whatever requirements are made of me. Iowa also requires a certificate for your dog, though I have never was asked for it. Rather than bitch about the laws in a state, just abide by them or you don't need to come.

OK, I just got off the phone with one of the local Convervation Officers. He said that normally they do not check hunters for shot records, health certificates, etc. on their dogs. He was suprised to hear that someone did get checked. His opinion was much the same as most of ours. That hunting dogs are pets and are generally well taken care of and up to date on shots. He thought the only time if would be an issue is if someone's dog bit someone. Then they would need to have evidence that the dog was disease free and current on shots. Otherwise they would quarantine the dog for 2 weeks.

Personally I don't think this is a big issue and your chances of getting checked are slim. The CO I talked to said if you had shot records along that showed the dog was current on vaccinations you should be good to go.
Thanks for the update Zeb.

Good post as I totally overlooked this, so I just called my vet and asked for a health certificate as I am heading to Kansas and SD soon, my vet raises several GSPs and he is a big time field trialer and hunter, they told me $10 bucks for the certificate:) I will be spending more though as it is time for the annual exam and shots but I like the $10, good to know in the future.

My Golden "Woody" is due for his parvo, lyme and bordatello and I made an appointment for him this week since we are leaving for SD on 11-6. I inquired about a "health certificate" and the vet's office knew exactly what that was-cost is $34. So I'll get 1 to be safe. We have been checked by SD wardens several times over the years, every one was friendly and courteous, and they never asked for any dog records-I always brought the shot records with me just in case but never knew of a health certificate requirement to be in total compliance.

My Golden "Woody" is due for his parvo, lyme and bordatello and I made an appointment for him this week since we are leaving for SD on 11-6. I inquired about a "health certificate" and the vet's office knew exactly what that was-cost is $34. So I'll get 1 to be safe. We have been checked by SD wardens several times over the years, every one was friendly and courteous, and they never asked for any dog records-I always brought the shot records with me just in case but never knew of a health certificate requirement to be in total compliance.

Geno, save $34 and just bring your shot records. You will be just fine.

Zeb, I'll take your word on it then-the shots and exam will be $100 as it is. $34 will buy a few more boxes of shells or other supplies for the trip. Thanks for your help.

Back