Catch the U.S. Pheasant Open on the Sportsman Channel

http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/prog ... php?ID=296

Great stuff, be sure and catch it on Saturday morning

AIR TIMES: Eastern
Sunday 9:30 PM
Tuesday 12:30 AM
Thursday 2:30 PM
Saturday 9:30 AM 4/24/2010

No way direct tv doesnt get that channel, that sucks :mad: I was all excited to watch too

It's from the Horse and Hunt Club in Prior Lake Mn. I grew up not far from there. I hunted Pheasants & ducks all around that country. It's all houses now

Doesn't that kind of video get you pumped SB?

Last edited:
I grew up just 6 blocks inside St. Paul from the West St. Paul, border. Just below the West St.Paul, water tank. If you can remember that. I hunted that area you speak of Chuck, many times back in the late 50's and 60's. Gosh you are bringing back some great memories. Would you believe the Pheasant open is on at 0630. I set the timer on the recorder and I'll see it when I get time. I am up at that time of morning but have other things to do........Bob

Last edited:
It's from the Horse and Hunt Club in Prior Lake Mn. I grew up not far from there. I hunted Pheasants & ducks all around that country. It's all houses now

Doesn't that kind of video get you pumped SB?

Thanks for posting Chuck. I got it in the calendar. I have been wanting to watch one of these for some time now. The family went to that club for Easter Brunch. They put on quite a spread. I shot my first turkey there after the guide went in a flushed it from atop the bird pen:p

Bob, you wouldn't want to see that area now. All house, 4 lane black top roads and traffic.

Chris, I grew up on a 100 acres boardering Lake Marion. We hunted all over between Lakeville, Prior Lake, Orachard Lake, Elko, New Market. Didn't hunt much towards Farmington.

Went to a AKC hunt test out at the Horse & Hunt club once. Nice place.

Much of my family still lives in that area.

Chuck

I used to compete there in the "90s. Best was 4th place in the Pointing Puppy Class, but it was a crappy rainy day. We had the best dog of the day tho and owned ourselves in the calcutta so was not too bad.

fun to watch but I'll never understand the running through the fields with loaded shotguns. Man that seems really dangerous.

yah isnt sportsman channel on Directv channel 605??? i have it and i have directv. no other cable or dish network have sportsman channel. Just directv.

I have DISH and I got it on channel 285. I called them and asked where it was. I recorded it as it came on at 0630 here. I agree that is not what I would call fun hunting. The best part of the show was the dog work, they were pretty good dogs.........Bob

I run the packerland series and top gun series the rule is that you must have one foot on the ground at all times no running you get one worning do it a 2nd time your dq. Lots of fun. More fun then akc hunt test. That i do play to. In the gun dog series your scored not judged . They say hunt test is to be a hunting senaro but if your dog whines or makes noise out of excitment you get dumpt .

I've run in several Gun Dog Challenges and they are somewhat similar to the Pheasant Open. What I don't like about them is that it's all based on time. The faster you get the birds the higher the score. Way too much emphasis is placed on time and not enough on the dog work or shooting ability of the shooter. Now after having run 7 braces in two NSTRA trials I can say they are a much better venue. But each to their own. If you like the concept of running & gunning to shoot as many birds as you can in the least amount of time then the Gun Dog Challenges and Pheasant Opens would be the way to go. If you value the work of the dog in a closer to hunting type situation then give NSTRA a try. But remember, NSTRA is only for recognized pointing breeds.

Back