caliber for wolf and deer?

blackcloud27

what caliber would you guys use on a combo hunt? the prey will be whitetails and timber wolf in manitoba. i have a 300 ultra mag. i'm afraid it will ruin wolf hide. i am thinking of buying a thompson center in 270 caliber.

what caliber would you guys use on a combo hunt? the prey will be whitetails and timber wolf in manitoba. i have a 300 ultra mag. i'm afraid it will ruin wolf hide. i am thinking of buying a thompson center in 270 caliber.

If you use a good quality controlled expansion bullet like the Barns X or swift A Frame with the 300 RUM. IMO, you may do less damage to the wolf hide then with the 270 and a every day soft point. . In either case, it's all about using the right bullet. Load some FMJ for the 300 RUM if the law would allow it for the Wolf.

If you use a good quality controlled expansion bullet like the Barns X or swift A Frame. IMO, you may do less damage to the wolf hide then with the 270 and a every day soft point. . In either case, it's all about using the right bullet. Load some FMJ if the law would allow it for the Wolf.

Hornady... Supreme ammo in my opinion! :thumbsup:

wow didnt take long to get responses to this thread. range will be about 200 yards. in manitoba there is a minimum caliber restriction of .24. i reload so i can use any bullet. have shot bear and caribou with my 300 rum. love the short easy tracking afterwards. straight down.

The 300 RUM is a great cartridge, my son has one. I shoot a 30-378 Wby mag. both are very flat shooting. They take a lot of the guess work out on those long shots. I pretty much reload only Barns X type bullets.

FC, I have had a 243 all my life, passed down and given to me by my father. It has shot lots of deer. It's lost a few too. Poorly cunstructed factory bullets was to blame in nearly every case. The 243 needs all it can to get a clean kill, both the shooter and the bullet must do their job. For deer. I like the 105 grain myself(hand load)

Last edited:
I think you could reload the 300 RUM to work just fine for your hunt. However, if you plan to purchase a Thompson Center in 270 Win that would also be a great option. I've had a 270 Win for 37 years and shot everything from rabbits to elk with it. With either cartridge bullet selection would be key and if possible (since you handload) I'd work up one load for deer and the other for wolf that have the same trajectory and point of impact. Good luck.

I am with Ken I have been shooting a .243 since 1974. I have killed more game with that gun than any other in my life. It will kill game you never thought possible. I reload for it by the hundreds of rounds........Bob

Another vote for the .270 Winchester. I have never felt under armed. Nice combination of throw weight and recoil. I have shot everything from antelope to Moose, bullet weight from 110 grains to 160 grains for a moose, one shot kills. 160 grains used to be loaded by Dominion in Canada. Nice thing about a .270 which can be said for very few cartridges, it tends to throw all bullet weights to nearly the same point of inpact, once sighted in, at 200 yards. This is true also of a .375 H &H mag, but a little much for what you propose. The 300 mags will as well, but recoil, barrel life, and hence accuracy tend to deteriorate over time. 30/06 with it's wide range of loads, is versatile, but will require sighting in for specific rounds. Other possibilites might be .257 Roberts, 25/06, 250/3000 Savage, all really pleasant rounds to shoot and hunt with.

With the right bullet both will work well !!! I would lean towards the 270 with a well constructed bullet that won't blow up on impact. I have a 260 that is pretty impressive. 257 roberts, 25-06, 243, all are great cals. Take a look at the short mag if your set on the 270!!!

The 300 RUM is a great cartridge, my son has one. I shoot a 30-378 Wby mag. both are very flat shooting. They take a lot of the guess work out on those long shots. I pretty much reload only Barns X type bullets.

FC, I have had a 243 all my life, passed down and given to me by my father. It has shot lots of deer. It's lost a few too. Poorly cunstructed factory bullets was to blame in nearly every case. The 243 needs all it can to get a clean kill, both the shooter and the bullet must do their job. For deer. I like the 105 grain myself(hand load)

I know lots of people that will never say this. It has to be your gun. Plenty of factory ammo is very good. I like whinchester and Hornaday. It drops them in there tracks. I also have taken big black bear and droped them too. I would take it Elk hunting with a 145g with out blinking an eye at 200 yds. My old man was shooting yotes this winter 3-400 yards , very accurate. I have no idea what your trouble is but it is not the 243 calliber.. It's not elephant he is hunting.

Last edited:
I like the old trusted 30.06 and 308 winchester. You will never have problems finding ammo and they are very accurate and hard hitting. my 2 cents:thumbsup:

thanks for the advice guys. would like to use my 300 rum but i have reason to believe i smoked the barrel on it last trip shooting praire dogs.

If you're not gonna use your existing rifle I would look at a 243/6mm/257/25-06/6.5x55/260/270/280/7-08/7mmMauser/7mmMag/all 30cal.Mags/338.;)

Seriously, pick any of the above calibers(and a few more) in a rifle type and style you like,add decent optics and a bullet matched to the game hunted,and it will work well from muzzle to 300 yards or more on whitetail and wolf with proper shot placement.

Enjoy the search for a new gun!

BobM

You know me, I've got to be different; not a .243 or .270 fan, but my two go to rifles are a Pre-64 Ruger M77 in 6mm and a Remington MR in .280. I would hit them with 87 grain Hornady V-lok in the 6mm. Anything that comes out of the .280 will drop them but may make a mess of things.

If you drop back to a .22 caliber styled rifle, I would look at a 22-250 or .220 Swift before the .223.

im suprised the all knowing capt coot has not spoken. o0hhhh i forgot he doesnt know much about deer hunting. i hear he knows alot about the right load or missle for camels:D

Back