Boots

I have two pair of L. L. Bean Kangaroo upland boots with Mendel cushions inside instead of the stock cushions. Nice boots and comfortable for me.

One of my favorite people on the forum is the bilbo he always knows what he is talking about i have learned lots from this guy and would love to meet you and hunt with you sometime bilbo i will def check them out

big horn danner gtx ?

Anyone know about the bighorn danner gtx? They look like something i might be interested in, boots are probably one of my most important things in upland hunting i am having trouble with what i am looking for like i have said looking for something light and extremely comfortable

Danner Bighorn

I have a pair of the uninsulated Danner Bighorns. Nice boots, comfortable,& dry. I think they are a little heavy & don't care for the Vibram soles as they seem to catch in the grass frequently, however I will probably wear them as long as they last. I actually bought them for a chucker hunt I was planning for better support. Unfortunatly the hunt didn't occur.

I went to cabelas to try on all the different types of boots irish setter to heavy, and uncomfortable tried the greenand brown pairs on the kangaroo type felt cheap like wouldnt last ,tried on two more pair just not what i was looking for saved the danners for last and bada bing wow first pair thanka ya i will take them you guys were right i see why everyone likes the pronghorns NICE!

I bought a pair of Danner USMC RAT boots from ebay for about half price. I used them twice now and really like them.

25 years ago I bought a pair of Danner boots from my boss, who got them 1/2 size too small and thought he couldn't return them. they fit me fine and the $25 was the best money I spent in a long time. After 15 years they wore out.

10 years ago I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn from Gander Mountain the week prior to my annual SD hunt. They leaked after two days in SD. Very upset, I was. Talking to the company I told them no more "Made in China" for this guy, I was willing to pay to upgrade. Got the 400 gram Raptor, made in USA. Getting ready for the season and they were leaking. I sent them in to have new Gore-Tex liners installed and the stitching re-worked. I'm hoping they'll be on my door step tonight. A new pair of Raptors is $360, but $135 to have them worked over and I should be good for another 10 years. these are the best pair of boots I've ever owned.

Just came home with a pair of danner pronghorns from cabela's today. Impressed with the comfort. I'm confident that spending the extra money on some quality boots will be well worth it. I haven't had good luck with boots the last several years. I did try on the new Cabela's upland boots. They were a tad lighter than the pronghorns and didn't feel quite as supportive in the footbed. Being the same price, I decided on the proven pronghorn.

25 years ago I bought a pair of Danner boots from my boss, who got them 1/2 size too small and thought he couldn't return them. they fit me fine and the $25 was the best money I spent in a long time. After 15 years they wore out.

10 years ago I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn from Gander Mountain the week prior to my annual SD hunt. They leaked after two days in SD. Very upset, I was. Talking to the company I told them no more "Made in China" for this guy, I was willing to pay to upgrade. Got the 400 gram Raptor, made in USA. Getting ready for the season and they were leaking. I sent them in to have new Gore-Tex liners installed and the stitching re-worked. I'm hoping they'll be on my door step tonight. A new pair of Raptors is $360, but $135 to have them worked over and I should be good for another 10 years. these are the best pair of boots I've ever owned.

Yes thats what is in the back of my mind rick, man i hope thes boots dont leak or come apart after spending 200 with tax but i did keep the receipt close by just in case:thumbsup:

No, something from the wingshooter line. I don't have any experience with the Shadow Treks but the reviews I've seen are running about 20 to 1 in the negative. I'd go back to the wingshooters but unless they really screw something up I'm a Danner customer for life.

Read on below if you want random comments on boots.

This is just my experience in 30 years of upland hunting and having a bit of a boot fetish:

Rubber toes get shredded, especially if you hunt quail or chukar.

Moccasin style toes are the most comfortable for me.

My feet swell when I walk alot. For hunting I need a big toe box and buy a half size larger than street boots.

When you find a boot you are really happy with, buy a second pair right then.

I like leather. I have cordura boots, they get wet even with gore-tex and the constant abrasion from grass and dirt grinds it until it frays and then gets holes.

I can walk all day with comfy feet. If my boots hurt my feet, that's all I can think about. I'll skimp on food, shells if I have to, motels, but I don't think boots are where a hunter should try to conserve money. If you only go out and hunt for an hour at a time though Wal-mart wolverine work boots would probably do the trick.

All boots, every pair, gets the whole heat, sno-seal, and polish treatment every Fall before hunting. It works. No leaks and the pairs I use seem to be holding up pretty good.

This being the internet someone will find something to debate in there but those are a few things I wish someone had told me when I was getting serious about hunting and looking for a good boot. Hope that helps.

excellent advice and the same things I have been doing for years. There is a reason they call them bird hunting boots. The moc-toe design is what works best for this style of hunt.

All leather! Never had any luck with the cordura. Always leaks and frays.

Always treat at least once per year or as needed. It does two things, adds waterproof-ness and it helps make the leather more abrasion resistant. The wax ( I use Obenhauf heavyduty) but have used sno-seal or plain beeswax. I have a pair of rocky Outbacks that are 18 years old and they're still waterproof.

The leather is worn to hell, the soles are almost worn through but I just sat through a HS football game where it poured for four quarters and feet were dry.

I bought a pair of Russell's and got them a few months ago. Have only worn them running the dogs so far but they are light, feet haven't gotten wet (no goretex), and really comfortable. As soon as I put them on I said, "Ahhhhh". They're also quite light. I had them add the toe cap which is made of leather because of all the abrasive crap we have in Indiana. Probably overkill but figured for the money the most likely thing to wear out was going to be the toe.
sigsouth40_malmed.jpg

I figured they were worth the cost of two other pairs so I did it. Plus I'm almost 50 and figured with reconditioning they might be the past pair I ever get.

MENDEILS FTW. I have both pairs the perfekt boots and hiking boots and love them both. They do break in very nicely. I have been through 3 pairs of Danner Pronghorns in the past 3 years, NEVER again. Leaked, stitching failing apart, part of the heal folding over giving me a blister, etc. The first pair lasted me over a year and the last two where junk. Just my .02

MENDEILS FTW. I have both pairs the perfekt boots and hiking boots and love them both. They do break in very nicely. I have been through 3 pairs of Danner Pronghorns in the past 3 years, NEVER again. Leaked, stitching failing apart, part of the heal folding over giving me a blister, etc. The first pair lasted me over a year and the last two where junk. Just my .02

X2. Wont do the Danners again. Have the mendl perfekt and they took forever to break in. At one point I felt like a midget was hitting me in the ankle with a hammer. Now they fit perfectly and I wear them everywhere, not just to hunt. Great boot.

The same thing happend to me with the Pronghorns. First pair was pretty good, after that, they didn't last.

I hunt some rough country and I was destroying a 150$ pair per season. Also I never found a pair that was water proof, even with gortex. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Russel mocasins. Wore them hard last season and they did awesome and I'm glad I got the toe caps. Very comfortable, tough, and water proof unless I stand in water or step in some deeper than my boot. I'll order another pair soon for back ups. These boots should last a long time and they are completely rebuildable. Boots are definetly not the place to skimp for guys who do as much walking as we do.

Irish Setter

Bought a pair of Irish Setter Phantom boots from Scheels and loved them, they were the best boots ever. Today I noticed the stiching on the toe was comming apart. Only wore them maybe a dozen times phesant hunting.

SO.....I traded thoes in and bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots. Felt very nice in the store but after 30 minutes my feet started to hurt. I had the same problem with there work boots but the guy at Scheels reccomended the Danners. I will wear my snow boots tomorrow and go back after my hunt and return the Danners and get another pair of Irish Setters and hope they last longer.

I think I might have big feet, I tried a pair of wide danner work boots and they felt like they were squeezing my toes together. Anyone else have this problem with the danners or with the irish setters falling apart

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Hunting-Boot&i=419030&aID=502T1A&merchID=4006

I bought these recently. Very comfy so far
Haven't worn them in water or hunting yet. Just walking trails with the dogs breaking them in.
They run true to size. If you want a little extra room for heavy socks consider a 1/2 size up.
$85 Dlvd

Still waterproof and even more comfy. I admit I have not crossed any streams yet but have hunted in rain 2 days straight. No leaks yet. Very pleased so far

There a zillion threads about upland style hunting boots on the interwebs, here and elsewhere.

You will have to find the boots that work for you. I have yet to find a pair of leather goretex lined boots that STAY waterproof. So, I have a pair of muck boots for walking in standing water.

My friend told me how much he liked his llbean's kangaroo upland boots a few years ago. That is what I have used. I wear them every day. I have had no problems with my feet. They lose their waterproofing after a couple of years or three and are worn out by then, so I get another pair.

I have tried several other mid-grade upland boots and still come back to these.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Russel's this year, but, didn't. Probably because of the price. May get some the next go round.

Walt MI/USA

Update on my Russell boots after putting about 50 n them so far.

No complaints. Getting more comfortable. Haven't experienced any leaks or wet feet (triple vamp) and don't see any signs of wear. I still get that great sensation when my feet slip inside.

May order a second pair of chukka style for warmer weather.

*update 12/29/12. Just walked 16 miles yesterday in very wet snow and not a hint of wet inside the boots.I'm beat to hell and my dogs can hardly walk today. We'll go out tomorrow...

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Irish Setter Havoc Upland boots prior to this hunting season. This is a new boot Irish Setter just came out with this year. I have the all leather ones. Super comfortable and no break-in required. I've worn the heck out of them so far this season and they are great. I've been in a lot of wet grass walking for miles and my feet have stayed dry. I clean them up once in a while, apply some Obenauf's Heavy Duty and I'm good to go. Most comfortable boots I've had in a long, long time.

BTW, the one big advantage that Obenauf's has over Sno-Seal and other waxes is that it allows the leather and Gor-tex to breathe. It is also Gor-tex approved.

Back