Boots

Orvis makes a great boot. Kinda of spendy but there warrenty is great. Had a pair for a year saw that they had a new boot out with better traction called them up and said there new style looks like it would work better and they exchanged them. Just had to pay shipping.

I'm on my second pair of Danner Pronghorns. The first pair was the old style, the second style is the new ones with the toe cap. First pair was more comfortable, but the tore wore through.

I have been using Irish Setter Shadow Treks for the last several years. Very light, reasonably priced (around $150.) and dry. I have walked through standing water and feet stay dry.

I have been using Irish Setter Shadow Treks for the last several years. Very light, reasonably priced (around $150.) and dry. I have walked through standing water and feet stay dry.

where do you get them? i want a new pair of good upland boots that doesnt come apart in 3 months

I bought them at Gander Mtn. I just checked the website and they still sell them. I had good luck with the Shadow Treks but the customer rating is only 3.5 out of 5 on Ganders site. I would buy a half size larger than you normally wear as the boots run a tad small.

Irish Setter pull on zipper Wingshooter does it for me.

Danner or Irish Setter....

Another vote for the Danner Pronghorn here. I bought mine from Cabela's 2 seasons ago. I don't think I've worn any of my others since I got the Danners.

I tried the Cabela's Outfitter Series and I don't think it's humanly possible to break them in to a comfortable point. They don't wear out but they don't break in either.

Another vote for the Danner Pronghorn here. I bought mine from Cabela's 2 seasons ago. I don't think I've worn any of my others since I got the Danners.

I tried the Cabela's Outfitter Series and I don't think it's humanly possible to break them in to a comfortable point. They don't wear out but they don't break in either.

the irish setters like thor suggested shadow treks?

No, something from the wingshooter line. I don't have any experience with the Shadow Treks but the reviews I've seen are running about 20 to 1 in the negative. I'd go back to the wingshooters but unless they really screw something up I'm a Danner customer for life.

Read on below if you want random comments on boots.

This is just my experience in 30 years of upland hunting and having a bit of a boot fetish:

Rubber toes get shredded, especially if you hunt quail or chukar.

Moccasin style toes are the most comfortable for me.

My feet swell when I walk alot. For hunting I need a big toe box and buy a half size larger than street boots.

When you find a boot you are really happy with, buy a second pair right then.

I like leather. I have cordura boots, they get wet even with gore-tex and the constant abrasion from grass and dirt grinds it until it frays and then gets holes.

I can walk all day with comfy feet. If my boots hurt my feet, that's all I can think about. I'll skimp on food, shells if I have to, motels, but I don't think boots are where a hunter should try to conserve money. If you only go out and hunt for an hour at a time though Wal-mart wolverine work boots would probably do the trick.

All boots, every pair, gets the whole heat, sno-seal, and polish treatment every Fall before hunting. It works. No leaks and the pairs I use seem to be holding up pretty good.

This being the internet someone will find something to debate in there but those are a few things I wish someone had told me when I was getting serious about hunting and looking for a good boot. Hope that helps.

^^^great post

these are the wingshooters I posted about earlier, I walked a many a mile on standing rock reservation couple years ago. nov deer hunt and these plus wool blend socks and my feet never got cold or hurt.

14384011-E6DE-42D9-B227-0654E609987A-9594-00000A1E6ADF79D4.jpg

Last edited:
Hobie - what reviews have you been reading on the shadow treks? 20 to one negative? I just scanned several online retailers and the positive responses are more like 4 to 1. Gander mtn has 38 reviews on the insulated shadow treks and 34 of the 38 are 4 or 5 stars out of 5. The uninsulated boots are more evenly split with something like 10 out of 17 giving 4 or 5 stars.
I can't say if they are very durable, I only have about fifty days in the field on these. So far (for me) they have been great to wear, very light, easy break in, and waterproof. And if you do read reviews, you will see that most reviews agree with my experience.
(I am glad you have boots that work for you, nothing is worse than uncomfortable feet when outdoors!):thumbsup:

No, something from the wingshooter line. I don't have any experience with the Shadow Treks but the reviews I've seen are running about 20 to 1 in the negative. I'd go back to the wingshooters but unless they really screw something up I'm a Danner customer for life.

Read on below if you want random comments on boots.

This is just my experience in 30 years of upland hunting and having a bit of a boot fetish:

Rubber toes get shredded, especially if you hunt quail or chukar.

Moccasin style toes are the most comfortable for me.

My feet swell when I walk alot. For hunting I need a big toe box and buy a half size larger than street boots.

When you find a boot you are really happy with, buy a second pair right then.

I like leather. I have cordura boots, they get wet even with gore-tex and the constant abrasion from grass and dirt grinds it until it frays and then gets holes.

I can walk all day with comfy feet. If my boots hurt my feet, that's all I can think about. I'll skimp on food, shells if I have to, motels, but I don't think boots are where a hunter should try to conserve money. If you only go out and hunt for an hour at a time though Wal-mart wolverine work boots would probably do the trick.

All boots, every pair, gets the whole heat, sno-seal, and polish treatment every Fall before hunting. It works. No leaks and the pairs I use seem to be holding up pretty good.

This being the internet someone will find something to debate in there but those are a few things I wish someone had told me when I was getting serious about hunting and looking for a good boot. Hope that helps.

ok thanks for telling me this i am a diebetic and my feet are very tender and swell also so i am really looking for a comfortable boot i will look at the danners as well but thor if you hunted 50 times a year upland then thats a good boot if still waterproof and still holding light as well is important to me

I have two pair of L. L. Bean Kangaroo upland boots with Mendel cushions inside instead of the stock cushions. Nice boots and comfortable for me.

Back