Benefits of a second dog

Lula's boss

I am writing to see what people's opinions are about the benefits or negatives of a second hunting dog. I currently own a female French Brittany who just turned five. She is joy to hunt with and a great companion dog. I constantly go back and forth about getting a second one. Sometimes I think it might be too much work and at other times I day drearm about putting both down in a big field at once and getting that much more entertainment per acre. Thoughts and or opinions? Thanks.

I've been running 2 Brittanys for the past 10 years.

Benefits: having 2 dogs in the field covering twice as much ground. Or those times when you are hunting all day or multiple days in a row it allows you to rotate dogs keeping them a little fresher.

Negatives: Twice the food, twice the vet bills and twice as much poop to scoop! :)

I think a second dog is not twice the work, but is more than twice the fun hunting them together. Assuming they back each other.

Can't go wrong with two dogs!!!
I am hoping to add a second Pudelpointer this year, if all works out as planed.:thumbsup:

I have 3 GSP's and really enjoy watching them work, like the other guys have said, twice the ground coverage and you can always work them seperate so you can rotate them.
Also if one would get hurt, God forbid, you can still have one to hunt with while the other one licks his wounds.

Dont do it!! :eek::eek:Once you do you will want three, then four......:rolleyes:

picture.php

Two dogs cover more ground,they can confuse the birds and pin runners down better,they can compliment each others weaknesses,you have 2 of them chasing down wounded birds,and every dog has their own quirks to help entertaining you at home and in the field. Plus if one of them is down and out for whatever reason you still have one to hunt with.

I hunted with one dog for years. When I got two I assumed it would be difficult to watch both of them, and the hassle would not be worth the effort. Everybody I know who has more than one dog will never go back! Two dogs will get you more birds guaranteed. Go for it.

I hunted with one dog for years. When I got two I assumed it would be difficult to watch both of them, and the hassle would not be worth the effort. Everybody I know who has more than one dog will never go back! Two dogs will get you more birds guaranteed. Go for it.

Couldn't agree more. Not mentioned yet but to be considered is competition between dogs. With time and training, it becomes a non-issue but understand you will likely need to reinforce that they hunt for you, not themselves.

a buddy of mine has said more than once that the old dog sees the puppy as their replacement.it's true they can cover more ground,if the old dog has any bad habits ,the new dog might pick them up.
i dont believe the old adage that the old dog will train the younger dog.
i'm not saying dont do it,just be aware that you need to make a concerted effort to work with both dogs seperately.
i mix waterfowling with my hunting and 2 dogs at the blind are not necessary.
but, you gotta start on a replacement eventually.
i suppose it depends on if you have enough time.

there was no way my old dog was staying home so i could take the new dog hunting seperately,when she saw me loading up to go,guns out,boots out,it's time to go!you'll have to be stern, good luck

Dear Lulas Boss, nice name, but who are you trying to kid? Shouldn't it really be "Lula IS the Boss"? In your post you mentioned it was a joy working her.Had a litter of shorthairs 8+ years ago and ended up with 2 of them, didn't plan on it. So for that many years, had two on the ground. Each of the 2 has their own way of working afield, bringing joy to my heart each individually. Now, put them together when they act as a team, added joy, so in essence it has multiplied!
Added effort, sure. Added vet bills, yep. More poop, ok. I found it easier training 2 dogs at the same time, but not always together. I'm taking 2 dogs to the vet in 1 trip. Picking up pooh? Doesn't take twice the time once your out there. I look at it as being proficient, maximizing my effort.
Having 2 (or more) dogs is more effort, and could have its' drawbacks if you look at the glass half empty. As I look back, aside from the added joy of 2 dogs, I realize we were more efficient in retrieving downed birds.
Now that my boys are pushing 9, we picked up a pup 5 weeks ago, making it 3. She (Gretchen) follows Oskar like his shadow, and they play together, so I'm thinking I'll have help in training, more joy!
Since you asked for opinions, my two cents says get the second dog. Since dog people live longer, more dogs equals longer life in my book.

Well, like most things, think it depends on your situation. I've thought a lot about getting a second dog, but I'm old, so adding the new dog's life-span to mine, I come up with a dog in the last will and testament. :)

Also, I think it depends on the type of dog you have now. With Mick, my springer, don't think I could get a GWP (my choice of pointing breeds) and have them work together efficiently. At best, it could possibly prompt the pointer to creep or bust birds; at worst the springer would be on search and busting birds while I was coming up on a point with the GWP.

A second flushing dog? Er...I don't travel and don't need to run a dog in a relief relay and there aren't all that many local birds as it is. Maybe, as I see how my body does this old-age thing and Mick gets older and slower, but realistically, I think Mick will be my last and only dog.

My circumstances are unique to me, so none of this may be pertinent to your life.

I DO know from apartment city life, two dogs are much more work in an urban environment.

Have fun with what decision you make.

I'll also be a 1-dog guy, excluding those times I bring-on the next generation. For me, my pup & I form a very strong bond, pup accompanies me everywhere, and at 65 one remains as "all I want." I'm not disputing the pros of owning multiples, but it's just not for me.

If you do a lot of bird hunting, having two dogs will allow you to hunt more. Sooner or later you are going to have at least one dog on injured reserve.

I am getting another French Brittany. I would prefer to get a female. I am third in line for picking, so hopefully that will be an option.

Back