A new generation.

onpoint

Just a observation. I spend a lot of time all across the net on gun auction sites, Facebook gun for sale pages, Etc

What I'm seeing is, a generation of gun owners who cherish very little in the classic well made guns of yester year. The A-5 Browning, The 1897, model 12, model 37 pump guns. This generation thrives in either $200-$400 guns or in black plastic(camo sometimes) flat finished guns. Also, they only deal in cash with the cheap guns. If it's $500 on up. They nearly always only buy where they can use plastic. Trying to move a gun of a $1,000 or more in a private sale, is almost impossible. A generation that lives pay check to pay check, rarely has that kind of cash to play with.

I have a safe full of these classic well made guns of yester year and they are near worthless unless your willing to trade for something else. AR-15's, tactical type firearms are flying off the shelf. I read numerous articles from the shot show. Every single one of them talked of the top guns at the show. Nearly 100% were tactical, black plastic handguns, AR's and short barreled shotguns. All for home defense or Armageddon. The biggest news of a gun with wood shocks, the Benelli O/U. I never thought in my day I would see such classic's loose their appeal.

I also have seen more families after a death of a grandfather, or sometimes a father, settling the estate, SELLING off grandpa's guns instead of handing them down. I know several friends who had to go to the auction to buy their grandfathers guns they wanted. This is happening IMO more because of the higher rate of divorce and remarriage. Grandma has only been in the picture 20 years or less and has not the ties to her husbands off spring that a grandma that had been their through 60 plus years of marriage. My wife's grandfathers guns went to the only boy in the family who had a broken marriage, remarried and the women didn't get along with the family. Her uncle up and died before he was 50. Boom, all of grandfathers guns are now in control of by a person who could care less about the history or sentimental value. Guns carried for 60-100 years or more by a family, handed down..all gone.

Just my ramblings of the morning. Things change in life and with time. For some of us, it's not easy to watch or except. But as the saying of this new generation says..IT IS WAS IT IS.

Have a great Sunday day of rest..

Onpoint:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You trashed my day! I will tell you I have two daughter's with 20 gauge flues doubles, they got for Christmas when they were 12. around 5 and 1/2# shot 2 and 1/2"shells, (made by RST), I think they shoot they pump guns and auto's better! But we NEVER leave these behind! I think they'll have them forever. I can't understand the plastic, aluminum, carbon fiber, lightweight, but unbalanced, all have the D**mn choke tubes. We forgot a lot about stock dimensions, length of pull, and the fact that gun weight perceived and felt as to point of balance, recoil is usually a stock flaw. Looks Like the Model 1100 is a classic now days! A good gun has warmth. I like to look at walnut, the elegant lines, and feel them hold them, and remember good days in the field. If they have vintage, thinking about memories, and sights they have seen, in a hundred years in the field. I believe you have to be a tinkering sportsman to appreciate them, can't just throw them in the closet, till next season. A lot of sportsmen don't have the time, or inclination. If the population of game birds are down, they get rid of the dog, if you hunt 5 times a year? a 500.00 gun is your investment level. Us old time hunters are to blame, we should have done better to make it inclusive, hand down the values. I am one of those! I did fine with my daughters, but I should have reached out, and found prospects. I applaud those who do! Thinking back I am reminded by a father of a friend of mine, had a Winchester 21, to heavy and long choked for upland hunting....got a ceremony dove hunt annually....he was sleepless the night before opening day, made us appreciate the sport! He and I, ( my friend in the army) had a spectacular day many years ago, the last time I saw him, prior to his death, I am sure he had days like those in the old days, but not in years, both dogs were flawless, shooting the Browning A-5 20ga. lightweight he and with the 1100LT 20ga. dead on. I think about that day a lot, now.

Didn't mean to trash your day..:)

Tough for us older guys to watch the guns we coveted so much, held so high by our grandfathers and fathers, become little interest to the younger generation. I just cringe when I hear their descriptions. Like rounds, weapon, tactical, magazine, Picatinny rail, Etc. I consider it like street talk in the gun industry. For me it has always been a "GUN" , Ammunition or shells, A clip, Law Enforcement, A Weaver base.

Back in the day, they made things like the Colt Trooper, Hwy Patrol model, Chief special, Combat Master Piece, Not "Zombie Killer", Entry gun, Tactical, Etc. Everything seems geared for the world going to hell now, at least by the up and coming generation. .

I like to try and keep the pristine memories of a walk on a logging road, tree's in full color on a Indian summer day for Ruff grouse. Hunting along a ready to be harvested corn field, with it's golden color, pressed up against a small creek, lined with tree's and brush. Just waiting for a rooster to spring into the air. It just seems so much more peaceful, then buying guns with the anticipation of strangers pouring through your windows to steal your food. I'm not sure I could shop for a gun sourly for such a purpose. Seems that many are doing just that though. The extreme demand for such guns. Makes it blatantly obvious.

I went to a gun show in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago. Waste of time and money. It was an AR 15 show. Very little in the way of shotguns and when I did see one, it was some overpriced plastic looking thing.

Not everyone from the younger generation, but many. Facebook pages are 90 percent HiPoint or Jiminez pistols or some junk AR. I have seen some Savage 99's but I wasn't there fast enough to buy. Then you hear "what's a savage 99? Is a 250 savage like a 22-250?" Missed out on a pair of walnut Beretta 390's, 12 and 20 for $600 total too.

I'm 35. The last two guns I bought were an 1885 Winchester in 22 Hornet and a Kimber Classic Select in 257 Roberts with wood that makes people drool over. Next gun is either going to be a quality 16 guage side by side, a higher end 1911, or a 204 Ruger in a Ruger Hawkeye, walnut only.

8 year old nephew made me proud. I'd sold a 7-08 Mountain rifle (walnut, BDL configuration) to bro in law. He offered it or a Plas-Tikka to nephew. "I want uncle Scott's gun". Smart kid.

To add, not against AR's. Have a lower I put together 6 years ago and still haven't ordered an upper. Bored with it I guess. Have 3 stripped lowers in safe, just for a rainy day I suppose.

I wouldn't mind a synthetic 12 guage auto to abuse in the duck muck either.

Suppressors are cooler than bluing and high capacity is more better than walnut.

Practicality trumps all,a Chevy from the 70's looks better than a 2015 but the 2015 would drive circles around the old rig. Same way with guns. The old stuff can't hang.

Last edited:
Just a observation. I spend a lot of time all across the net on gun auction sites, Facebook gun for sale pages, Etc

What I'm seeing is, a generation of gun owners who cherish very little in the classic well made guns of yester year. The A-5 Browning, The 1897, model 12, model 37 pump guns. This generation thrives in either $200-$400 guns or in black plastic(camo sometimes) flat finished guns. Also, they only deal in cash with the cheap guns. If it's $500 on up. They nearly always only buy where they can use plastic. Trying to move a gun of a $1,000 or more in a private sale, is almost impossible. A generation that lives pay check to pay check, rarely has that kind of cash to play with.

I have a safe full of these classic well made guns of yester year and they are near worthless unless your willing to trade for something else. AR-15's, tactical type firearms are flying off the shelf. I read numerous articles from the shot show. Every single one of them talked of the top guns at the show. Nearly 100% were tactical, black plastic handguns, AR's and short barreled shotguns. All for home defense or Armageddon. The biggest news of a gun with wood shocks, the Benelli O/U. I never thought in my day I would see such classic's loose their appeal.

I also have seen more families after a death of a grandfather, or sometimes a father, settling the estate, SELLING off grandpa's guns instead of handing them down. I know several friends who had to go to the auction to buy their grandfathers guns they wanted. This is happening IMO more because of the higher rate of divorce and remarriage. Grandma has only been in the picture 20 years or less and has not the ties to her husbands off spring that a grandma that had been their through 60 plus years of marriage. My wife's grandfathers guns went to the only boy in the family who had a broken marriage, remarried and the women didn't get along with the family. Her uncle up and died before he was 50. Boom, all of grandfathers guns are now in control of by a person who could care less about the history or sentimental value. Guns carried for 60-100 years or more by a family, handed down..all gone.

Just my ramblings of the morning. Things change in life and with time. For some of us, it's not easy to watch or except. But as the saying of this new generation says..IT IS WAS IT IS.

Good ramblings OP. I usually buy one gun a year, they are almost always old school. The one exception is a Keltec PMR 30 handgun. My kids all hunt but not like I did. My guns will be handed down but who knows for how long.

Well OP, I hope this makes you feel a little better.
1990 "Sweet Sixteen", for my oldest daughter. She was 5 years old and with me the day I bought it.

1971 "Light 12", it will go to my youngest daughter.

1960 20 gauge. I bought this for my 3 year old grandson a week after he was born. I will give it to him when he's about 16.

1967 Mag 20 for the next grandchild.

The rules are, they have to stay in the family.

Well, I'm 28 years old and lust after the finer guns in life. Walnut and blue fill my dreams and I could make a $1,000+ dollar deal if the gun is right for me. I also have a safe full of grandpa's guns that will never leave my family (as long as my brother and I have a say in it). People like me may be few and far between but there are still a few around.:cheers:

Treedaddy, Quail Hound, Cheesy, OldandNew and Hay Maker...you guys have it right..nice,,,keep our tradition and heritage alive. Long live the "Machined" gun's. I like guns that last more then a century, not a decade.

Just got to a computer, rather than my phone, so can do some more in this post-

I forgot about this 16 guage Ithaca I bought (early 50's vintage), it is what I carried opening day of Kansas in 2013-

Twin sister in 20 guage was opening day of Kansas in 2014

Not sure where this Marlin 1894 in .25-20 will end up when dad is done with it, but it was his great (or double great) uncles, and will stay in the family for sure-

Dad just traded into a JC Higgins 51L .308 from the 50's. This was lightweight before the lightweight craze hit-

Digging little bastards-

A lot of the same can be said for knives, maybe it is a disease?

Custom slipjoints rather than speed assisted folders-

Ironwood scales in leather sheaths rather than G10 or Micarta in Kydex (Honestly, I'd slum these same knives in G10/Micarta and Kydex if forced to)

Have kind of seen this thing go round and round as I am becoming an "old timer". The Model 12 was overpriced 20 years ago and now there seems to be a bunch of them available at reasonable prices. SD at least.
I like wood too, and of course classic doubles. Won't see much plastic there. I think the only ones I ever saw were Stevens or Savage from the '50s?
Can't object to plastic in the goose pit or duck slough. Otherwise, On Point is just that.

Just reading these posts now and don't know how to respond! i don't own an AR, never felt the need for one. Lots of buddies and friends own them I think it is fine for them. I buy guns that I can use for my hunting, protection purposes. But I love the guns from my childhood that will be passed down. The crazy thing is that we have 4 boys in the family and so they now get split up between us. Then the next generation splits them up again! I need to add to that list so when mine get split up there are at least enough to go around! I am going to have a conversation with my kids tonight about how i want my guns to stick around for the future. Hopefully one of them will see the value and hold on to them! Thanks for the insight OnPoint.

What I'm seeing is, a generation of gun owners who cherish very little in the classic well made guns of yester year. The A-5 Browning, The 1897, model 12, model 37 pump guns. ...........................

I am 35 and cherish some of the classics (some, not all) however respect them all -- If you are afraid of what your progeny will do to them, I'd be more than happy to have a chance at purchasing.

Really like SxS's, O/U's, anything Browning and rifles - anything Winchester pre-64.

Hard to find decent guns around here, unles as you say are interested in the cheap plastic models.

I'm going to stir the pot....Somebody had to buy the latest and greatest gun at some point in history. At one point all the "old" guns where new and the latest and greatest and some probably thought them unnecessary. Guns are always being improved upon or at least changed a little so the gun makers can sell more. This doesn't make them any better necessarily or worse just different.

If we are talking about reliability or how well they work I think sometimes we are all victims of the "ahh the good old days" syndrome and forget about all the flops and piles of junk that have since been thrown in the trash. Just my theory but time has a way of weeding out all the poorly made products and what we are left with are the well made reliable relics and that distorts our view of the past and how well things are made.

Full disclosure: The majority of my guns are multi-generation guns and will live on that way but I also appreciate the new fangled contraptions and appreciate the innovation and thought that went into them to make something just a little better. If I had to choose between new and old I go old most of the time because it brings back memories and stirs the imagination of the adventures the gun and the person who carried it had.

Sloth-

You just kind of hit on something that has rattled around in my head for a while. Quality today will be quality 50 years from now. Quality 100 years ago is still quality today. That goes for guns, knives, hand tools, you name it. There were a lot of junk made in generations past, just like there is a lot of junk today.

I'm glad I don't have to buy entry level anymore, yet fully realize the 870 Express and Remington 700 ADL I bought in high school could have served my entire life of hunting if I'd been forced too, with no handicap. I do like my Beretta's and Kimber's now though. Glad I make more money than I did in high school.

Nice stuff Cheesy. I love my 37's, have 3 myself...including a special order 16 gauge with a high rib trap and vent rib bird barrel with factory choke tubes and high grade wood.

I'm in the process of selling my near new Browning Maxus and I'm going back to my '65 Belgian Auto-5 Light 12 for ducks. Yes, I know Browning says not to shoot steel through an A5, but I see no issue through a light-mod choke.

The Maxus is a superb modern semi-auto, but I just enjoy the experience of using the older A5's so much more.

Back