There is Just Something About Them!

My seven year old-Hazel, gets to go out for the first time this Saturday. I'll get some pictures up, she's the most driven Springer I've ever had. Love this thread, you guys all have nice dogs.

Looking forward to the pictures! :thumbsup:

This year my boy started barking at flushed birds? This is only my second year hunting pheasant and he didn't do it last year, or every time but boy does he get excited. Is this normal?

Normal, I don't know. My first springer didn't do it. Buzz, however, does once in a while. It's not really a bark - more of a yip. I'm going to admit something here. I don't ALWAYS know where my dog is. He's short, brown, and in high wind, difficult if not impossible to hear rustling through cover. And SOMETIMES he even gets on a running bird & it only takes a couple seconds to lose track of him. These are only times he ever yips. Since I don't know where he's at, I assume he's not sure where I am either. I actually think he might be trying to get my attention. :rolleyes:

Here's yesterday:

Yes he does yip some, first time he did it i thought he was hurt. Now he will yip and bark some on running, or flying birds that get away. He just gets all excited i think.

This year my boy started barking at flushed birds? This is only my second year hunting pheasant and he didn't do it last year, or every time but boy does he get excited. Is this normal?

In some circles such as Hunt Test or Field Trials this might be frowned upon, others judges might be a little more lenient, depending on just how bad the barking is. Personally I enjoy an excited yelp now and then, although I wouldn't tolerate "excessive" barking! Is it normal for a Springer to get VERY excited when he hits hot bird scent...well he's not a field bred dog if he doesn't! It's one of the things that separates them from some of the other flushing breeds and makes their owners fall for them! Years ago I had a Springer that was an outstanding gun dog in every way, just a bird finding machine, but occasionally he would let out a single bark at the flush. A popular trial judge told me this wasn't going to fly, so I never trialled him. Did it matter? Heck no, he was one of the best companions a man could ask for! Enjoy your pup!

Normal, I don't know. My first springer didn't do it. Buzz, however, does once in a while. It's not really a bark - more of a yip. I'm going to admit something here. I don't ALWAYS know where my dog is. He's short, brown, and in high wind, difficult if not impossible to hear rustling through cover. And SOMETIMES he even gets on a running bird & it only takes a couple seconds to lose track of him. These are only times he ever yips. Since I don't know where he's at, I assume he's not sure where I am either. I actually think he might be trying to get my attention. :rolleyes:

Here's yesterday:

Nice work Buzz! Yea I think he's keeping track of you! :)

Looks like Buzz is well loved!

Last edited:
Buddy does it every now and then, usually when tracking a rabbit.:eek: Don't tell anyone in a field trial circuit that he will run rabbits if given the chance.:thumbsup:

I really like the look of Buzz A5, he looks like a fun dog!:cheers:

This is Bud my brothers yipper, he's turned into a heck of a dog since coming home (long story, owner couldn't handle him) at 8 months old with zero training.

Last edited:
Way to go Bud! Most of the Springer pups I've been associated with have been biddable and have that switch that shuts off. Then there are the few that just seem to have an excess of energy, my current pup is a good example of this. Sometimes these guys have loads of field trial winners in there past. Having said that, once you harness that energy you've got yourself one heck of a gun dog!
You're brother is lucky to have Bud! Hey, real nice looking birds!

Sprinters are great dogs- my dad owned 3. Did a lot of pheasant hunting with them in the 70's, and 80's. Springers.

Not to be a jerk, but no. It is typically hereditary, I would say 99.9% of the time. I have seen it in certain lines. And it passes from generation to generation. It is a flaw in a line and should be weeded out. AKC field trials are the basis of what things we want to have in hunting dogs. Set up to simulate a days hunt, under control, on live birds the best we can. And In our rule book it is a flaw that shall be severely punished. I tend to agree. The good is it is very few lines. I know some out there, and those that come from them, and some British lines we see in the states as well. I know one breeder who breeds the heck out of her dogs knowing full well the issue, but does not care. All about money for her. Pup after pup have the same issue. I just shake my head. Now as far as your dog, you can work on it, there is a few tricks. But for a hunting dog there is no real need. I would just enjoy the good things he does and keep hunting. :thumbsup:

FCS thanks, i saved this guy from getting a bullet and he is my best buddy plus gets me birds. He has also got me addicted to bird hunting and Springers!

Not to be a jerk, but no. It is typically hereditary, I would say 99.9% of the time. I have seen it in certain lines. And it passes from generation to generation. It is a flaw in a line and should be weeded out. AKC field trials are the basis of what things we want to have in hunting dogs. Set up to simulate a days hunt, under control, on live birds the best we can. And In our rule book it is a flaw that shall be severely punished. I tend to agree. The good is it is very few lines. I know some out there, and those that come from them, and some British lines we see in the states as well. I know one breeder who breeds the heck out of her dogs knowing full well the issue, but does not care. All about money for her. Pup after pup have the same issue. I just shake my head. Now as far as your dog, you can work on it, there is a few tricks. But for a hunting dog there is no real need. I would just enjoy the good things he does and keep hunting. :thumbsup:

Can you disclose those affected lines? It would be good info for prospective buyers.

Back