New profile posts

Great photo of a successful day afield ! thinking about mid-end of next week . could you get away ? my plans are still tentative.
Jim s
Str8shooter
Str8shooter
Was a great opening day for certain! My dog Birch just turned 6 and is hitting her stride. Thanks for the invite, and normally Id be in, but next Friday im heading to southern New Mexico for a week as I drew a pretty rare Barbary Sheep tag. I may spend a couple days chasing scaled quail down there as well. Will definitely be looking to get out the subsequent weeks. My number is 7199669021 if youd like to chat
Patrick
S
sidecar
Good luck in N.M. went out for Javelins a couple of years ago down there. Big country !
Str8shooter
Str8shooter
Hey! Just got back from NM, ended up tagging my sheep opening day! My friend who was hunting with me from Idaho and I are free all week if youd like to get out sometime to chase some roosters this week, let me know where to meet!
Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of guys set up to hunt with me next week, but after that my plans are open. I will try and hunt through mid-December depending on when our next Grandchild is born. I will keep you advised. So, tell me a little more about you and the Ruger. Thanks again !
Jim s
Hi. My wife and I will be in Goodland Kansas starting about November 20 and staying until we give up - probably a month. We have two labs. Wife is also a photographer that likes to hunt with me (she doesn't hunt). We wouldn't mind driving up to Phillips County if you want to set something up. My nephew is a veterinarian in Sterling, lives in Fleming.
Reactions: COWAN
COWAN
COWAN
I've always wondered how the hunting is around Goodland? I pass by it every year.
I will join you in December, if that's ok. My little yellow lab has hunted many hours with other pointing breeds, usually GSP's.
Where do you usually stay/ motel/ etc. Like I said, I would enjoy a meet/hunt whenever available.
My email is dennis188@msn.com
Just a thought, I certainly do not want to butt in.
Reactions: webguy
A
Az hunter
how are you doing in Goodland We are in Hugoton and not many birds will be here for another week.
Powderhorn Jim
Powderhorn Jim
Hi. Just found my "messages". Birds were tough around Goodland, though we found enough to keep us hunting until I stepped in a badger hole and tore my ankle up.
The seep stream at Kanopolis reservoir (west of Salina) has trout and is surrounded by pheasant country.
J
Jonjhawk
Thanks!!! Never knew that. Will definitely be checking it out. I’m only an hour and a half away!
Where did you get you pups from? I'm just doing research about where to get a dog. We just had a new born and we are a WAYS away from getting a another dog, but I love to research to feel really comfortable with my purchase.
Munster927
Munster927
Hey BPATT, I sent you a PM. My comment was too long to reply here hah
responding to your request for info on SD: there is a big public area - a former ranch - just south of Martin. it's probably very busy opening week, but it is BIG with lots of natural and added habitat. Keep in mind that SD has a resident only start date for pheasant season and a "traditional" starting date for all.
L
Lointer man
Britchaser, for some reason I just saw this and I appreciate it! Headed to SD for first time next Friday and can barely wait!!
Ive owned property at Chamberlain since 2000, Move to Garretson SD in October from NW Iowa. Glad to help if I can. I love being a resident.

if youre into the outdoors, and clean living, SDis the place to be.

If I can help, or answer any questions, feel free to reach out.

Rollie
Reactions: mikegrosch
C
cyrtonyx
I come to SD every year hunting prairie grouse & pheasants. I stay in Chamberlain. Nice little town w/ nice people. it is the highlight of my hunting season.
Hey Ken, been missing you on the forum. Hope life isn't getting too complicated.

Take care. Someday, I'd like to talk with you.
FCSpringer
FCSpringer
I had a lot going on, lymes, then covid, then trying to learn this site. My website crashed all sorts of things. Now getting rotator cuff surgery for a fall I took. I go in for that November 12th LOL. No hunting this fall will suck.
Love your dogs!
I am looking at getting a Vizla. Any suggestions where to start?
NDPheasant
NDPheasant
The birds won't stand a chance with a Vizsla/Lab combo. ;). Expect to pay $1000 give or take in ND and $1200-1500 in SD, MN or MT.
Willow came from Champions Vizsla. $1500. Roscoe, SD. I would go back.
Considered Anderson Kennel. Mitchell, SD - timing for us wasn't right.
Ellie came from Doran Link, in Golden Valley, ND - just a mom/pop hobby on the side.
If you report to KDWPT ag activities inconsistent with hunting, like grazing cattle, it may contact the operator. Of course, that may annoy the operator and result in the withdrawal of the land from the WIHA program. Once in NE I encountered cattle on a piece of walk-in on opening day of the season. I called it in.
Well, you are going to love this one. NRA American Hunter for January just came out. Feature article is "There's no place like Kansas" and it is all about the deer. Isn't that hot spotting?
Prairie Drifter
Prairie Drifter
News people often have little understanding of the damage they can do by such stories. It is stories like that that caused all the deer interest in the first place. Humans will be humans though and all too often the add fuel to the fire and direct undue concentrations on areas that cannot support the resulting pressure.
I haven't hunted Gregory county but have east of there in Charles Mix. Check out the WPAs in between Armour and Platte. Road hunting is good in that area too. Gregory has some big Walk Ins that would probably be good for grouse.
webguy
webguy
No problem Hillbilly. If it's your first trip to South Dakota, yeah, you will definitely want to hit places off the beaten path. Western SD is really a gem in my opinion and you really get into the sharpies or prairie chicken. I know on tribal land, you need a tribal guide. It's unbelievable hunting (I have been told).
webguy
webguy
I've only hunted private land up in Bison, SD, Lemmon, SD and Timber Lake, SD... lots of pheasant, sharpies and occasional prairie chicken. Eastern SD is really getting farmed heavily these days and the lack of CRP is really killing pheasant populations. You may want to ask about reservation/tribal land and hiring a guide on this forum or see what you can find online.
webguy
webguy
It sounds like that could be your best bet, but I can't say I've ever done it. I could help, but my time these days is so limited with my work. I happened to see your post, I just wanted to let you know that Gregory public land gets trammpled on pretty heavy as resident opener and youth opener is before non-residents get in the state - I was a SD resident for 5 years.
Back