Your thoughts on the upcoming season

I have seen several roosters and quail around. But I would sure like to see some rain before too long. nothing heavy, but enough to keep the grass and crops growing and the bugs breeding.

My thought of the coming season is, I hope I get to see this a bunch of times during the season. This is from today, He is coming along.

May2012_20.jpg

No matter what the reports are for out west, we'll be there in some form or fashion. Last year wasn't near as good as the previous 10 years, but we still shot birds, got some good dog work, and had a good time. Been watching the weather, looks like where we go has been getting some periodic rains. It'll all work out in the end.

Been hearing some quail whistling here in Missouri, over at dad's in SEK, and then at my sisters in south-central. Doubt we hunt any of them, but sure do like hearing them whistle.

I just got back from working the dogs. I heard several quail and one rooster crowing. Nothing to go crazy over, but better than nothing.

All I know is there better be some birds, I just won at auction an Ithaca 37 16 guage, guessing late 40's or early 50's vintage. It is going to need broken in properly....

Not too promising here at the Byrd Ranch. Very little calling at all. Pastures are fragile, but have some big juicy grasshoppers in the grass. The turkey have really been having a heyday with them. Hope there are some hatches of lesser prairie chicken that are doing the same.

Setternut, I want in on this deal too! My vest is never full of birds, so I would have room for a clipboard and other data-collecting gear. Or somebody computer-savvy could make an app for my Iphone.

BTW, the pup looks nice. And so clean too! With all this heat I can't keep Junie out of the creeks and ponds. She spends most of her free time looking like swamp thing...:eek:

The report from the area I frequent most is that they started cutting wheat yesterday, which is about 2 weeks earlier than they've ever (15 years that I know of) started on that farm. The wheat quality/yield varies greatly from one field to the next. What they cut yesterday was dry/burnt. Dad reported seeing no chicks and very few carry over birds this spring.

KB,

That's some bad news, but expected. I was so hopeful that we'd see a bit of a rebound in that area. With an early harvest, no rain, cover starting to burn up and very little carryover, it's beginning to look quite bleak.

Who ever heard of an early May without rain!

Point

Man you guys are depressing. Kansas going to be as bad off as Texas pretty soon. I'll be up there this year. I'd like to go back to the DC area like I did in '10-'11, looks like that won't be happening.

unless the weather patterns change soon, it will be another tough summer for the birds.....these damn dry trends tend to go in cycles, 3-4 years is not uncommon and this is year 2......ugh......i hate to drive through Kansas to go all the way to SD to hunt, but it appears that is exactly what i will do again, as i did last season. my hunting days are few and valuable, so i need to put the dogs in birds when i can. hope things get at least somewhat better for you guys who live in state and hunt there.....good luck.

Weather on the Joplin, MO radio is calling for storms here tonight, supposedly building in Western Kansas they said. I hope building in Western Kansas means a line from Las Cruces, NM to Greely, CO before it starts heading east. :)

It is starting to look pretty bad in the part of Kansas I usually hunt. I will probably drive up to the Marshall, Minnesota area to chase some birds up there. Poor birds in Kansas and poor farmers too!

unless the weather patterns change soon, it will be another tough summer for the birds.....these damn dry trends tend to go in cycles, 3-4 years is not uncommon and this is year 2......ugh......i hate to drive through Kansas to go all the way to SD to hunt, but it appears that is exactly what i will do again, as i did last season. my hunting days are few and valuable, so i need to put the dogs in birds when i can. hope things get at least somewhat better for you guys who live in state and hunt there.....good luck.

Positive thinking, stop with the negative waves :D

We are in a little better shape than last year, at least there is some nesting cover.

Last edited:
Positive thinking, stop with the negative waves :D

Right, let's change it up a bit. I didn't like my first update of the season either:)

Every hen pheasant in KS is expected to produce 50 chicks this year because of the Earth's axis in relation to the moon phase, plus the diameter of the new black hole in space, and of course timely rains. KDWPT will likely issue an emergency early start to a lengthened season to combat the infestation. There will be no less than 1 million birds harvested in Kansas, most of which will be taken by members of this board. There will be clouds of pheasants in nearly every county in the state. Additionally, KS hunters can expect to see roughly 15 coveys of quail per quarter section in all 105 counties.:rolleyes:;):D

Right, let's change it up a bit. I didn't like my first update of the season either:)

Every hen pheasant in KS is expected to produce 50 chicks this year because of the Earth's axis in relation to the moon phase, plus the diameter of the new black hole in space, and of course timely rains. KDWPT will likely issue an emergency early start to a lengthened season to combat the infestation. There will be no less than 1 million birds harvested in Kansas, most of which will be taken by members of this board. There will be clouds of pheasants in nearly every county in the state. Additionally, KS hunters can expect to see roughly 15 coveys of quail per quarter section in all 105 counties.:rolleyes:;):D

Is that before or after the pigs fly out of my arse? I was pretty optimistic about this year after the winter that we had. But it always seems there is something to upset things now. Funny when I was younger it didn't matter there were always tons of birds. As habitat dwindles, the prospects of upland game become more and more fragile. I guess it will be a couple of trips north again this year, my contact there said the carryover was unreal;)

Well, look on the bright side, if it stays hot and dry we will have Gambles and Scalies to hunt in a few years :rolleyes:

Well, look on the bright side, if it stays hot and dry we will have Gambles and Scalies to hunt in a few years :rolleyes:

SetterNut,

That's not even Funny:confused:

birds

I fished Glen Elder a few weeks back and there was a ton of crowing going on, more so then I have seen in years past. I am hopefull you will have a good season but no hunting this year for me as I will be deployed again.

Good Luck
Tom

I fished Glen Elder a few weeks back and there was a ton of crowing going on, more so then I have seen in years past. I am hopefull you will have a good season but no hunting this year for me as I will be deployed again.

Good Luck
Tom

That was a recoding put out by KDWP to attract out of state hunters. :eek:

Back