Your thoughts on the upcoming season

HUNTIN4FUN

For me I am still optimistic about the upcoming season but with every day that goes by without rain I grow increasingly worried. Birds or no birds I will try my very hardest to keep my dogs afield with birds in front of them. After all they can't read forecasts of any kind and at the end of the day hunting is all they know and love. Let's here some other thoughts on the upcoming season.

I think we are in better shape at this point than last season, at least around this part of the state,

But some good steady rains without hail would be a big help about now.

I think we are in better shape at this point than last season, at least around this part of the state,

But some good steady rains without hail would be a big help about now.

I agree. With any luck the rain will find its way back to our great state.

I absolutely love hunting Kansas and love the people there but I will be taking a year or two off after our trip last year. I wish you guys luck, you need a couple of good rebuilding years. Hopefully the weather will change for the better. Too bad you can't have some of our rain, we got 5" this week.

the spring started off well, but it looks like a preciptious slide is ocurring back into drought.........i hope that is eventually not the case, but if it is, it will set the birds back even more.....i may hunt Kansas in December, but for now i have 2 trips planned for SD. they are looking awfully good right now.
good luck fellas, hope the rains start coming soon.

I was much more optimistic a month ago than I am today. I agree that this year looks better than last year, but each day we go without rain makes me a bit less "up-beat" about this years hatch.

If we don't get some rain soon, we could really have some long term problems with both pheasant and quail populations.

Point!

Fingers crossed on both hands.

I was much more optimistic a month ago than I am today. I agree that this year looks better than last year, but each day we go without rain makes me a bit less "up-beat" about this years hatch.

If we don't get some rain soon, we could really have some long term problems with both pheasant and quail populations.

Point!

YEP!! I'm feeling the same way. Got a SD trip planned for me, my pops, and my pups again this year, but I'd be doing that even if KDWP projected a million bird harvest. Has anyone seen any broods yet? We should have some sort of reports soon given that the wheat is ready/almost ready in some parts of the state.

Ok
Here is what I will do for all of you guy. You guys can go hunt other states and I will take care of the KS hunting and report back at the end of the season.
Deal :cheers::D

Ok
Here is what I will do for all of you guy. You guys can go hunt other states and I will take care of the KS hunting and report back at the end of the season.

No, I don't like that offer:). I'll still be wondering around the grass fields of KS even if it's only to tell the dogs stories about the good ole' days. I've made special memories in SD just as I have in KS and I've even made a couple of friends up there. Visiting both states is a "must" for me now. I'm a sentimental sapp I suppose. Setternut, if everyone decides not to hunt in KS anymore, we'll split the state into 2 territories like gangsters if enough folks accept your "deal.";):D

No, I don't like that offer:). I'll still be wondering around the grass fields of KS even if it's only to tell the dogs stories about the good ole' days. I've made special memories in SD just as I have in KS and I've even made a couple of friends up there. Visiting both states is a "must" for me now. I'm a sentimental sapp I suppose. Setternut, if everyone decides not to hunt in KS anymore, we'll split the state into 2 territories like gangsters if enough folks accept your "deal.";):D

KB you are getting soft in your better years I see;) Make no mistake if we are splitting the state I better get a cut too, or maybe we could all join forces and claim the whole darn thing for ourselves. Wait that won't work either Steve has them purty well mannered dogs and we have the crazy ones:cheers:

Ok

I will supplement your reports, sir.

Tell you what guys. I will just handle a small strip, so we can split it up. I will take from Manhattan to the CO boarder (east / west) and I-70 to the Nebraska boarder (south to north) :D

So anyone that has hunted that area in the past, that would like a report, PM me the GPS coordinates and let the land owner know I am hunting it for you as part as a scientific study for the 2012 hunting season :thumbsup:

I know this is going above and beyond the call for you guys, but I do what I can ;)

SN you are too kind sir. I can't believe that you would take all that upon you and your pups, I will get right on those GPS coordinates for ya:cheers:

:D:D
It will be a tough burden to bare, but I think its the least I could to for science!!!

But I have some hope for the season, I have seen a heard enough mature birds that if we have a decent hatch and survival this summer, we could have at least and average year.

BTW, I checked my PMs and didn't see much activity yet. Makes me think you guys may not be on board with the science project :eek:

:D:D
It will be a tough burden to bare, but I think its the least I could to for science!!!

But I have some hope for the season, I have seen a heard enough mature birds that if we have a decent hatch and survival this summer, we could have at least and average year.

BTW, I checked my PMs and didn't see much activity yet. Makes me think you guys may not be on board with the science project :eek:

SetterNut,

If you would submit for a Grant and could get paid a million dollars for that kind of study.:D

You know, dry weather during the incubation period is not all bad and even with young chicks. Cold, wet stuff will be hard on nesting and young chicks.
Dry spells are the norm in the western pheasant country and broods seem to do well in it. [I'm thinking W ND and E MT]Those nice June showers should be a BIG plus though. :thumbsup:
Wish I could send you some of the wet we're getting. :)

You know, dry weather during the incubation period is not all bad and even with young chicks. Cold, wet stuff will be hard on nesting and young chicks.
Dry spells are the norm in the western pheasant country and broods seem to do well in it. [I'm thinking W ND and E MT]Those nice June showers should be a BIG plus though. :thumbsup:
Wish I could send you some of the wet we're getting. :)

I think as long as pheasants have enough cover the chicks do pretty well.

But quail are the main bird around this part of the state. If they don't have enough bugs at the right time, they don't seem to do well.

If quail chicks will eat ticks, we should be good this year ;)

Back