Will Your Dog Hunt for Someone Else?

i am really impressed with all this ignorance about loaning out your bird dog, if the guy is not up to speed, well, then yes, otherwise it is good for the dog. shit does happen and it just may well happen if you are there or not. the dog should hunt for the one in charge and just maybe he might be smarter than you. i think some of you are against it cause of the poor manners of your dogs and you don't want to be embarrassed cause you dropped the ball in training. i think that toad is one of the smarter one's of you out there, the dogs need to run and hunt and the more they do it the better they become and maybe just in spite of you. as far as gh goes, he probably has it also, it takes considerable more knowledge to handle a springer properly than say a pointer and labs don't need much of anything, most of them anyway. most of you barely hunt, if the dogs don't. they don't grow. lighten up guys, the dogs would love it

any of you ground pounders out there need a dog. mustistuff will fix you up. but don't even think about my dog.:p

i am really impressed with all this ignorance about loaning out your bird dog, if the guy is not up to speed, well, then yes, otherwise it is good for the dog. shit does happen and it just may well happen if you are there or not. the dog should hunt for the one in charge and just maybe he might be smarter than you. i think some of you are against it cause of the poor manners of your dogs and you don't want to be embarrassed cause you dropped the ball in training. i think that toad is one of the smarter one's of you out there, the dogs need to run and hunt and the more they do it the better they become and maybe just in spite of you. as far as gh goes, he probably has it also, it takes considerable more knowledge to handle a springer properly than say a pointer and labs don't need much of anything, most of them anyway. most of you barely hunt, if the dogs don't. they don't grow. lighten up guys, the dogs would love it

I actually agree. I say very little to my dog while hunting, a little whistle here and there, but that's about it. How hard is it to control a good dog??? Now, not sure I'd loan my dog out. It'd have to be a pretty good buddy or even a family member. But, saying I got injured or really sick and missed the season or a good chunk of it, then by all means I'd want my dog still to hunt and I'm pretty sure he'd hunt and not sit around looking for me. I remember back college when I'd come home for Christmas break and my brother in-law was working and he'd loan me his GSP to take out for the day. Those trips really got me hooked on bird hunting. Thank the Lord he wasn't a prick and said no.

I hunt both ND and SD from mid-October till the end of season. I usually hunt by myself or no more than 2-3 friends and their dogs, two labs and one Brittney. All three dogs hunting style is what they were trained for by their owner(s). They are hunting dogs not "show/tournament" dogs. I would loan my pickup or even a gun before my labs, because I wouldn't want my dog treated like a rental car!

loaners again

of course you shouldn't loan out you dog unless you knew the guy and he knew what the scoop was and as far as brittboy goes, he shouldn't have to worry cause if the guy really new the scoop on bird dogs he wouldn't ask to borrow a britt anyway, solved that problem. as far as crp goes, he needs better hunting buddies

cheers

Better hunting buddies??? Can you expand on that thought?
Do you ever have anything complimentary to add?
BTW, is there anything you don't know? Just wondering.....

crp

you stated that you have hunting buddies and would loan your truck and gun but not your dog, seems odd to me why you would loan all that stuff and exclude your dog, don't your hunting buddies measure up, if not, teach them something. if you read some of my post, they are actually helpful to many and i do in fact pick on a few, maybe they need it, maybe they don't, can't stand the heat in the kitchen, find something else to do. lighten up bucko, your dog likely needs the exerience

cheers again

LOL WOW RILLY. My hunting buds know way better than to ask. The answer would end are friend ship period.

By they way do you ever have anything positive to add to this forum???????

I had a shorthaired pointer years ago. I got her from a shooting preserve as an adult. She was a great bird dog, backed, pointed, retrieved a little harsh with quail, and not fast. One flaw, she was hunted by newbies, or inexperienced handlers. She disreguarded all verbal instructions, came a long and got back to the car, accounted for a lot of birds. I did not fault her, she was the guide! I ran her with a white pointer who would find her and back at incredible distance, so I could find her. She had flaws, I overlooked, she overlooked some of mine. But I would not create a dog which is likely to untractable on purpose, which is what you might get by loaning them out. If you don't own a dog, make friends with those who do, or find a different sport.

Loving this thread guys lol. Entertainment at its finest.:D:cheers:

of course you shouldn't loan out you dog unless you knew the guy and he knew what the scoop was and as far as brittboy goes, he shouldn't have to worry cause if the guy really new the scoop on bird dogs he wouldn't ask to borrow a britt anyway, solved that problem. as far as crp goes, he needs better hunting buddies

cheers

I just can't stand the thought of Sam humping someone elses leg ;)

I like the sentiment, If my dog does anything stupid or wrong, I want to be there and get the full conscience impact. Humping the leg is double bonus, humiliating you and him with a stupid act. bonding!:) I did have a male dog mark me, peed down my shoe, in a showring once, I almost forgot that! Repressed memory.

Last edited:
I like the sentiment, If my dog does anything stupid or wrong, I want to be there and get the full conscience impact. Humping the leg is double bonus, humiliating you and him with a stupid act. bonding!:) I did have a male dog mark me, peed down my shoe, in a showring once, I almost forgot that! Repressed memory.

Yes they can be knuckle heads at times. :thumbsup:

Hey FCS can I borrow River this Weekend???? Can I hunt your place will I'm at it??????

No ok.

How about you Qh. I'll be there in the morning, just leave the your dogs, out and I'll pick them up in the morning.

No Ok

How about you Britchaser.......................

IGNORANT COMMENTS about loaning a dog well i've had my wife longer than my dogs and i would loan her before them and i love her I don't even let my boys take them unless i'm going its not for bad habits or poor training its the fact that they are mine if you want one go buy one put the time in and money then come back on here and offer us your dog to barrow no i don't srr that happening at all Good night a living your an arrogant pompas know it all
and i'm being nice

IGNORANT COMMENTS about loaning a dog well i've had my wife longer than my dogs and i would loan her before them and i love her I don't even let my boys take them unless i'm going its not for bad habits or poor training its the fact that they are mine if you want one go buy one put the time in and money then come back on here and offer us your dog to barrow no i don't srr that happening at all Good night a living your an arrogant pompas know it all
and i'm being nice

That's it in a nut shell.:thumbsup:

Sorry for the harshness just the way I feel I may not know everyone on this sight but i ponder most everyones opinion and have been known to try a few new ideas

Come on guys, cut him some slack. You can't say his posts aren't entertaining. Reminds me a bit of another guy who used to be on here, I bet they could get in some heated discussions on bird dogs.:D I may not agree with your stance musti but I must admit I like reading your posts.:cheers:

My truck isn't new, and it is unlikely that I would loan my truck out to someone to go on a hunting trip in.

My dogs are a lot more valuable to me than my truck. It would have to be a very special situation that I would let someone take my dogs on a hunt without me. Like I would be near dead, and would never be able to hunt again. ;)

The way I look at it is I have not and would not loan a dog out for someone to hunt. I think he would but it would have to be somebody very close. So something happens, dog gets shot, has a seizure, runs off, gets badly injured. Then what do you do? Loaning dogs is like loaning money, don't do it unless you don't want it back. Now before we start wife swapping I want to see some untouched pictures. Maybe GCB can take some with that new phone:D. After twenty years mine is still holding up pretty good. O&N I got a good one. Last summer me and a buddy had our dogs at the dog lake doing some water work. On the way in he looks over and says " your dog is taking a crap on that ladies leg". I look and my stupid dog is dumping on this heavy gals ankle that was sitting on a bench talking. I wouldn't have wanted to miss that.:eek:

Yes they can be knuckle heads at times. :thumbsup:

Hey FCS can I borrow River this Weekend???? Can I hunt your place will I'm at it??????

No ok.

How about you Qh. I'll be there in the morning, just leave the your dogs, out and I'll pick them up in the morning.

No Ok

How about you Britchaser.......................

Notice how Jmac asked two of us Springer guys to borrow a dog? You sir have GREAT taste in bird dogs.:D:cheers::thumbsup:

Back