Will Your Dog Hunt for Someone Else?

Mick is an absolute hunting floozie. He'd hunt for anyone. Heck, once I had just come back to the car at the State property, and he started out with a group just leaving. :)

Would I let others take him? No. Never.

Lol. Mick the hunting floozie. I love it.:D

dog loaning

hell, i loan out my wife all the time, nobody ever asked about the dog though. some dogs actually don't care who they hunt for and some will just sit down and cry if their daddy isn't there. i have two like that now, they would drive you crazy and then run off looking for me. other dogs i have had could have care less as long as they were hunting for somebody. a one person dog is a liability and i now have two liabilities. tried to avoid, don't know what causes but i don't like it. we will get the the risk of loaning a dog some other time, accidents happen, get used to it

While my pup would hunt fine for my hunting partner & I obviously trust him completely, if I don't go . . . Hank doesn't go. And my partner wouldn't ask. I've never loaned my canine partners & never will.

I loaned out my first lab to my college roommate (20 years ago), several times and I fully trust him. However, the dog dislocated his jaw on duck retrieve in very cold water. Not the roommates fault but makes me think twice. The vet said no hunting for 30 days and it was early November in South Dakota (now what was I suppose to do, that was my only dog?) :mad:

My current hunting partner insisted that I take his lab one day while he had to complete some work. The dog hunted well for me and actually made three nice retrieves, but it was weird and I would never ask to burrow a dog! :cheers:

I would loan my current dog to the right person, but that is a very short list! :D

Interesting thread.

Last time out with my usual huntin' buddy, his very experienced brittany retrieved a quail I had shot to my hand without being called. Dogs get to know things after so many years afield.

dog loaners

you would play hell getting one of my shorthair's to bring you a bird, no way. anyway in my life of borrowing or loaning one of my dogs when possible, the list was really short like may one but we did it all the time, frequently it was a chance to increase my flock from 2 to 4 dogs and it is exciting to watch 4 dogs work together however if the field held a good number of birds you couldn't keep track of them, fun non the less. surprised nobody asked about my wife!!!

No way. Not that I don't trust some its just if something happened I wouldn't want anyone to put them in a bad situation.

loaners

you guy's are being pretty bullheaded about your dogs. one reason they are no better than they are is that they don't get to hunt enough, accidents do happen but you probably can't think of when and you yourself are not likely any safer and possibly less so than a careful hunting buddy, give the dog a break and let him or her go hunt, also maybe the dog just might learn something in spite of you.

david0311

you guy's are being pretty bullheaded about your dogs. one reason they are no better than they are is that they don't get to hunt enough, accidents do happen but you probably can't think of when and you yourself are not likely any safer and possibly less so than a careful hunting buddy, give the dog a break and let him or her go hunt, also maybe the dog just might learn something in spite of you.

Good thing it's Christmas--because you would not like my response to that--

Good thing it's Christmas--because you would not like my response to that--
:thumbsup:

I'll second . . . 'tis the season to be jolly.

I agree that my dogs are as good as they are inspite of me but my dogs probably hunt somewhere around 60-70 days a season in front of me and no one I know comes anywhere close to that amount of days in the field. I bet my two pups could drive someone insane very fast with all of their bad habits we are working on.

Ok, so those that loan dogs out, if something were to happen to your dog (God forbid!), who would be held responsible for incurring costs? I know there is pet insurance available, I don't have it or know anyone that does. Vet bills aren't exactly inexpensive, especially in the case of an emergency, if you can find one! Had 2 injury occurences, both with barbed wire. 1st one ended up at vet, had exam, tetnus shot and antibiotics. Only charged me $5, yes you read right, $5. 2nd one we were fortunate enough to have a vet in our hunting party and were able to locate supplies and stitch him up on tailgate. Don't think this will be the norm. I forgot, also had heat stroke on Labor Day, talk about a scare! Lucky to find vet open 50 miles away clearly by chance. They were waiting for a called in emergency when I just happened to pull in. Everything turned out ok, that cost me $100 which I gladly paid.
On another note, saw a dog have his tongue ripped open on a guided hunt. The guide earned $50 but paid $200 in vet bills. Never seen him guide at club after that.

bad habits

quail hound, like your post, as far as your time in the field, good for you, haven't counted my days but for one season or the other i hunt with my dogs 6 mo. of the year so i am pretty close. as far as your dogs bad habits, what ever they may be, show me a dog that has none and i'll show you a dog that hunts preserves or at least spends no time on wild roosters, in the real world flawless dogs are created by guys that don't have anything to hunt so they rag on their dogs to give them something to do, dave duffy says that if the dog makes you happy, good for you, enjoy him and its faults, life is too short

Call it what you will, my dogs are my dogs. They will not hunt for anybody else if I am not there as a part of the group. Even then, they keep looking for me. If some one called up and invited me to go on an all expense paid trip of a lifetime, but said you have to leave your dogs at home, I wouldn't go! By no means are my dogs the best, they are meat dogs. I've seen other dogs that perform better than my boys, doesn't mean I want to hunt with them. Bottom line, if I didn't have dogs, I wouldn't hunt. My little 2-bit brain wonders why anyone else would.
Happy Holidays to all!

trip

i have really good bird dogs, smart one's, they would understand about a trip of a lifetime if it were only once, might cost me a pound of burger or something though

quail hound, like your post, as far as your time in the field, good for you, haven't counted my days but for one season or the other i hunt with my dogs 6 mo. of the year so i am pretty close. as far as your dogs bad habits, what ever they may be, show me a dog that has none and i'll show you a dog that hunts preserves or at least spends no time on wild roosters, in the real world flawless dogs are created by guys that don't have anything to hunt so they rag on their dogs to give them something to do, dave duffy says that if the dog makes you happy, good for you, enjoy him and its faults, life is too short

The first season of a young pups career is a memorable one. I just let mine be pups and make all the mistakes in the book, I think it helps in the long run. This off season we will start collar conditioning and next season those puppy mistakes will be corrected in the field. JP (my first bird dog) is In his 4th season now and I often wonder how he became such a great dog with such a poor trainer like myself. I agree, life is to short, hunt often and hunt hard and someday you'll have a real bird dog on your hands.:cheers:

I had an outstanding lab (Tap) that I could loan to a hunting partner and do a great job for them. I then rescued a springer (Rainy) that quickly became a very good hunter and though I never loaned him out, I think he might have hunted for someone else if given the opportunity. I now hunt behind another springer (Gus), this one a field bred model and field trial washout that I purchased. He is so attached to me that he absolutely will not hunt for anyone else. Last month, I was hunting a ditch with Gus and a partner and managed to shoot a rooster that flushed my way. I wanted my partner to get a bird, so I went back to my truck and drove around an adjoining field to get to the end of a ditch Gus and my partner would soon come to. When Gus saw that I was no longer around, he bolted and ran back to the spot the truck had been parked earlier. Then he spotted some workers harvesting lettuce in a nearby field and ran to them, looking for me. In the meantime, I had been watching what was happening, jumped in my truck and circled back to the original spot which he returned to when he saw my truck. In summary, Tap would do a great job for any partner he was familiar with, Rainy might have hunted for someone else and Gus.......I guess Gus is a Velcro Dog.

+1 on not loaning or using other's dogs. The whole idea of having a good bird dog is getting it to hunt with you not against you. From the "bonding" process through discipline and training, you and YOUR dog are a SET. Also, to be successful, you must be able to read your dog in the field regarding if they are "getting birdy" etc. That takes time.....

In all my many years of hunting, I have never seen any "interchangable" dogs that work well for anyone other than their master.

I can't think of a single guy I know that would even think of asking to take my dog out without me. That's just bad manners.

loaner dogs

i am really impressed with all this ignorance about loaning out your bird dog, if the guy is not up to speed, well, then yes, otherwise it is good for the dog. shit does happen and it just may well happen if you are there or not. the dog should hunt for the one in charge and just maybe he might be smarter than you. i think some of you are against it cause of the poor manners of your dogs and you don't want to be embarrassed cause you dropped the ball in training. i think that toad is one of the smarter one's of you out there, the dogs need to run and hunt and the more they do it the better they become and maybe just in spite of you. as far as gh goes, he probably has it also, it takes considerable more knowledge to handle a springer properly than say a pointer and labs don't need much of anything, most of them anyway. most of you barely hunt, if the dogs don't. they don't grow. lighten up guys, the dogs would love it

Back