Why Don't More People Field Trial

V-John

I trial quite a bit, I'm very fortunate to have several trials in my area that are within an hour or so. They are walking trials, so a horse isn't required. Just a hunting dog. There are stakes that are designed for the hunter/new person in which the dog doesn't have to trained to the level of the other dogs... In which judgement ceases at the flush. Meaning, your dog can break at the flush and be ok. Dogs aren't really picked up in these stakes and you see a lot of different types/breeds of dogs and meet a lot of like minded folks. There are puppy stakes, there are young dog stakes (Derby)that don't require a high polished level of training?

And yet, it seems, that we are always trying to find ways to get new people involved, kids involved, or what-have you, and still struggle.

And there are several different venues. NSTRA, AKC, AF, or whatever. And yet, sometimes it seems all are trying to get new folks. There are a lot of people here don't trial but hunt religiously. So, when the season ends, it seems, so does the dogwork. (other then training) It's a good way to get out with your dog and have some fun.

So, why don't people try trialing more? There's so much variety in the dog games.. Is it location? Funding? Bad reputation? It's a good way to get involved and have fun with your dog. So, what is it?

And I'm not trying to get an arguement started per se, but what do you think could be done to try and get more new people involved?
So, why do

One more thing. If anyone in the NE portion of the state is interested, let me know and I'd be happy to discuss more with you about it. The guys are friendly and willing to lend a hand.
The guy that I'm competing with for Derby Dog of the year has been nothing but great, scouting for me, helping me out, we've gone hunting together and will run the dogs off of his horses.

I've looked at videos of trialing and I've hunted with a trialer and his trials dog. It just holds no interest for me. Too many rules, too many attitudes, too many . . . you get the picture.

I know I have always been interested in it, location is the bigges issue for me. Lack of self-experience and fear of personal embarassment is another detering factor. I don't like the idea of going into something like that not knowing a sole person. Lucy, my pointer; I have the upmost confidence in. She far exceeds my abilities as a trainer and as a steady gunner. The way I work her may not be what is accepted as proper. There are various other reasons that I could come up with, but these are the major ones.

I would be interested in participating, but for me it is a matter of limited time. Time to train the dogs to that level I deem necessary to compete and the time of traveling and the trial itself.

I enjoy all forms of hunting, but due to time constraints I have limited myself to concentrate on just upland and waterfowling. Maybe when I retire I will deer hunt and turkey hunt, but for now I chose to spend more time with my kids.

time, money, travel......takes all of it plus time away from family. i do that during the regular hunting season enough...although i do put out pen raised quail during the off season, occasionally, to sharpen my dogs or work on issues that may arise.

i used to be active in NAVHDA, learned alot, but eventually the carnival atmosphere gets a little old.....depends alot on the people involved, a few Mr. Know-it-all's can leave it sour for everyone or the buddy-club that runs the show and allows you the privledge to participate, when they get around to it........making solo hunting something to live for every season.

I 'm like you hunter94.It's the money and everything you said that keeps me from putting my gsp in. I just watch it on tv when I can or on youtube.

Akc springer trials require a higher level of training than I am capable of. I've been told by a guy that used to run trials that my male had the right stuff for the job but I just don't see myself being able to polish him that much.

That being said I would love to attend a trial and see the dogs run and I have great respect for the dogs and owner/ trainers who compete at the top level.

I personally would love to get into trialing or some sort of competition with my dog. I currently have a little french britt who is a real dynamo in the field, and any experience in the field beyond hunting season would benefit us both. Additionally I think the pressure of competition, if handled correctly could be a good thing. I have looked into AKC Hunt tests as a starting point, but my dog was originally registered UKC and does not conform to American Brittany breed color standards. It was a real disappointment for me to find out she could not compete. Right now I am considering NSTRA events, but I am worried that running her in a brace could be a circus if one of my fellow handlers has different whistle commands than me. Any suggestions about trialing venues to try would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think you need thick skin, and a willingness to put a whole lot of extra time into an animal. It can burn ya out at times. But it also is a bunch of fun. And QH, horse pucky. You can train your dog to do it just fine. What people need to do is just get out to the groups, have fun, learn, and train. Especialy in the ESS world, most if not all groups will welcome you with open arms. I always say all you need is willingness to do it, and If I can any one can. Hell it's pheasant hunting year round for us, whats not to like.:D:thumbsup:

I personally would love to get into trialing or some sort of competition with my dog. I currently have a little french britt who is a real dynamo in the field, and any experience in the field beyond hunting season would benefit us both. Additionally I think the pressure of competition, if handled correctly could be a good thing. I have looked into AKC Hunt tests as a starting point, but my dog was originally registered UKC and does not conform to American Brittany breed color standards. It was a real disappointment for me to find out she could not compete. Right now I am considering NSTRA events, but I am worried that running her in a brace could be a circus if one of my fellow handlers has different whistle commands than me. Any suggestions about trialing venues to try would be greatly appreciated.

You can run AKC hunt tests with a "Purebred Alternative Listing"(PAL). I think the AKC charges $40 and a bit of paper work (dog must be spayed or neutered). Or why not just run UKC tests. I think they are more fun than AKC events anyhow. UKC has a upland title........

PS the dog in my avatar(PAL) has a AKC Senior Hunter title. He just wandered into my yard about 8 years ago, he looks like a lab, acts like a lab and is neuterd so the AKC and UKC allow him to test.

Last edited:

The AKC allows ALL dogs to compete, including mutts. You may need a special limited registration number to keep track of titles. The confusion may be that the AKC standard for conformation shows are strictly limited to AKC bred and registered dogs which meet the standard. I know because I have a mostly French, tricolor female with full AKC registration. I can not show her in conformation, but she is eligible to compete in field events, as are her offsring. If they are colored correctly they can be shown confirmation as well. Brittanies are particularily screwed, as the UKC, AKC, and the original French Espanguel Breton registries are all in opposition in some form or other. It's a shame. If you want additional info on what is possible AKC wise, P.M. me.

I tried running in the NAHVDA trials.
To many know it alls, to much of a clickish attitude. I am not thin skinned, and frankly do not care two hoots what someone else may think of my dog(s). When it comes to my dog(s) I just like them to perform for me. It is my nature to try to assist others in pursuit of what they enjoy. So seeing first hand some who simply can not be bothered to assist or just plain know more then God about dogs....:rolleyes:
That being said, I am getting a new puppy February 1st. The breeder has requested that I run the NAHVDA NA test on him.
Told her I will, and I will. I met with some of the people today who I would be working the dog with.
Unimpressed is an understatement. (but the breeder is a great person)
Yep I will run the NA test on him, but why spend time and effort hanging around people who rub me the wrong way.
If a chapter or organization would like to get more hunters involved. My suggestion is to lighten up with the attitude and also use the "buddy" system to assist a newbie so they can understand some of the ins and outs. This also would promote the concept of assisting others
Trials could be a great deal of fun and they could really enhance the performance of the dogs....if the handlers could only remember it is about the dog and not their egos....sorry but fat chance in that happening.

Right now I am considering NSTRA events, but I am worried that running her in a brace could be a circus if one of my fellow handlers has different whistle commands than me. Any suggestions about trialing venues to try would be greatly appreciated.

I've been running NSTRA trials the past 2 years with my Brittany. I wouldn't worry about what your bracemate is doing. If they are bothering you and your dog head to the other side of the field. As the dog gains more experience they will learn to ignore your bracemate and the judges on 4-wheelers. I started running my Brittany when she was less than 1 1/2 years old. That first year she was distracted by everything, the 4-wheelers, my bracemate yelling at his dog or shots being fired. At one trial she was more interested in the cows in the field next to the trial field than hunting. It's all a learning experience. Last year she stayed on track and wasn't bothered by what else was going on around her. I also use a whistle to control my dog but about the only time I have to use it in NSTRA trials is if she heads out of bounds.

I'm in the NSTRA trials for the fun of it and being able to do something in the off season with my dog. So far she has never gotten a placement but that's okay, we're both out there enjoying it. I have never trained her for the trials and have just let her natural abilities go. But she is bred for it as her pedigree is full of NFC's and her sire is a multiple time champion NSTRA dog. What I like about NSTRA is that the dog does not have to be steady to wing/shot like in some other trials. But they do have to be steady once they go on point and cannot move until the handler moves/flushes the bird.

The Wisconsin Region of NSTRA has quite a few trials in the spring. Go to the national NSTRA web site and you can find the Wisconsin Region and the trial schedule. http://www.nstra.org/

Back to the original question of why don't more hunters run trials. We ask ourselves that same question in our region of NSTRA. I think most are afraid of the competition. But the competition is what you make of it. Other reasons are cost and location of the trials. Our region is Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota. Traveling 400 miles for more to a trials is not uncommon. Think of the number of bird hunters in our 3 state region and yet we have less than 60 members in the Mid-North Region. And I only know of 3 people from South Dakota that are active NSTRA members. Hard to explain.

For me it's only a time commitment. I beling to a bird dog club that is the home to NSTTRA. We have all sorts of trials all the time but it's a weekend event. Morning to evening two days and that won't work with Momma.

I already have a tough enough time actually hunting. Spending a weekend away trialing would be too much.

It may the future way we all quail hunt, if the current trend in the quail decline continues.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think everyone has it covered with the time, money, family responsibilties. my other problem is having dogs that need to be ran in two different venues. I am currently planning to have someone else train and run my lab, as I feel she has great potential. I'm thinking that I will run the gsp myself.

its funny that you brought this up, the last couple days I've been researching the different trials and which ones are the closest to me.:cheers:

I'll throw in my 2 cents also...

Personally, I think that field trials serve an important function for breeders, and that's about it. I don't really "get" why anybody else would want to participate.:confused:

For a breeder, it's important to have your dog compete against other dogs. If your dog can earn lots of titles, then you are easily able to demonstrate to potential puppy buyers that your dogs have the physical and mental abilities to be excellent hunters. You also prove to yourself and your customers that your breeding program is improving the breed. So to me it makes perfect sense that breeders would want to participate in trials. In that way, field trials are useful.

But for a guy like me... What is the appeal? I have no intention of ever breeding any of my dogs. When the vet says they're ready, I get them fixed... So what is the point of getting a field trial title or certificate? Hell, I throw away the dog's registration papers when they come in the mail... All those fancy letters before and after the dog's name are helpful when you are looking at the parents of a litter, but what good would they be on my dogs?

I'm not trying to put down anybody's hobby or passion, but I just don't think it would be for me. I enjoy the simple act of hitting the field with my dog(s) and my gun, and trying to bring home dinner. I couldn't care less whether or not my dogs are the fastest or the best, or even whether or not they meet somebody else's standards. I don't need titles to tell me I have good dogs. I know their strengths and weaknesses better than anybody, and I'm satisfied with that.

Hope that didn't offend anybody, but I think that's why a lot of guys don't trial their dogs.

LOL, no dog that is not pure bred will dawn an AKC championship,As far as I know you will not be on the field with that dog, no entry allowed at AKC licensed events. AKC does not operate that way. There is gun dog challenge style events and fun trials one can get started at. If you wish to run AKC field trials or most likely any, you would want to start out training as a pup. Some older dogs can be trained for it if the ground work for it was laid out at younger ages.

time, money, travel......takes all of it plus time away from family. i do that during the regular hunting season enough...although i do put out pen raised quail during the off season, occasionally, to sharpen my dogs or work on issues that may arise.

As a teacher, I definitely understand the money issue. That's a big part of it, especially with gas prices and such. The stakes are 25 bucks, usually, and can go up to 40 or so. Not too terrible, if you have one dog, but I get the money thing. I'm very fortunate to have trials within an hour, with the farthest being two.

I'm in the NSTRA trials for the fun of it and being able to do something in the off season with my dog. So far she has never gotten a placement but that's okay, we're both out there enjoying it.
Back to the original question of why don't more hunters run trials. We ask ourselves that same question in our region of NSTRA. I think most are afraid of the competition. But the competition is what you make of it. Other reasons are cost and location of the trials. Our region is Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota. Traveling 400 miles for more to a trials is not uncommon. Think of the number of bird hunters in our 3 state region and yet we have less than 60 members in the Mid-North Region. And I only know of 3 people from South Dakota that are active NSTRA members. Hard to explain.
Dakota's statement about the fun of it, and such is the perfect statement. Toad should read it.
I too don't get the reason why there is the lack of NSTRA up there in that place. You would think given that area, there would be a large number of folks up there running NSTRA.
I'll throw in my 2 cents also...

Personally, I think that field trials serve an important function for breeders, and that's about it. I don't really "get" why anybody else would want to participate.:confused:

For a breeder, it's important to have your dog compete against other dogs. If your dog can earn lots of titles, then you are easily able to demonstrate to potential puppy buyers that your dogs have the physical and mental abilities to be excellent hunters. You also prove to yourself and your customers that your breeding program is improving the breed. So to me it makes perfect sense that breeders would want to participate in trials. In that way, field trials are useful.

But for a guy like me... What is the appeal? I have no intention of ever breeding any of my dogs. When the vet says they're ready, I get them fixed... So what is the point of getting a field trial title or certificate? Hell, I throw away the dog's registration papers when they come in the mail... All those fancy letters before and after the dog's name are helpful when you are looking at the parents of a litter, but what good would they be on my dogs?

I'm not trying to put down anybody's hobby or passion, but I just don't think it would be for me. I enjoy the simple act of hitting the field with my dog(s) and my gun, and trying to bring home dinner. I couldn't care less whether or not my dogs are the fastest or the best, or even whether or not they meet somebody else's standards. I don't need titles to tell me I have good dogs. I know their strengths and weaknesses better than anybody, and I'm satisfied with that.

Hope that didn't offend anybody, but I think that's why a lot of guys don't trial their dogs.

Because once January 31st hits, then it gives you something to do with your dog. And you can do something with your dog until April. Then in the fall, as hunting season comes up, well, then It's fun, have you been to a trial? Participated in one? You are welcome to ride along with me up to a trial. Like I said, there are trials that are literally within an hour from us.

It's hard to describe, but there is something about the atmosphere that the dogs can recognize. Riley fortunately or unfortunately (depending how you look at it) knows when we are at a trial and will squall until his turn is up. It's annoying, I hate it, BUT he will do that until it's his turn. I've seen dogs literally shake with excitement. My own included. They have fun. I have fun. I've met so many friends through trialing, because we all have something in common, the dogs. To me, it's not about the winning, or losing. (I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm just as competitive as the next guy) It's about the whole package.
Yeah, I'm sure you could just buy a bunch of quail and set them out and turn your dog loose and have fun, but really it's a bit more then that.
And Toad, this isn't a personal attack on you or your opinion, I asked for it, and you gave it. I hope you don't take it that way.

I had a buddy who thought that way too. "What fun is it, if you don't get to shoot a bird?" "What fun is it to just blank the gun..."
I talked him into coming out, he rode horses most of the day (Yeah, guys follow along on horseback, and when they go, they need someone to ride, seems like there is always someone wanting you to ride their horse) ran his dog, won the damn thing and had a blast.
The Gun Dog stake is designed for the new guy and his hunting dog. A guy runs his little French Britt who isn't exactly a dyanamo, but he has fun, and the dog enjoys it and is pretty successful.

Someone said something about being embarrassed and nervous. I still get nervous. I've had dogs do some really embarrassing things.
Thing is, though, ALL trialers were new guys once. We all understand that. I've tripped and fallen going into flush a bird. I've walked through a flooded knee deep creek. I had my dog blow a back five minutes in a championship stake.
Either way, we all have our reasoning I suppose. I get that.

Back