?What is "good" Pheasant hunting to you?

To get back "on task" with this thread, I believe a good day of hunting would be accompanying Benelli-banger on a hunt!
Cheers,
wolf

beneli-banger and Haymaker

I admit to having chased a coyote or two across a picked bean field, with my buddy literally "riding shotgun", getting off a few shots at the 'yote out of the window of my 'burb...yes, quite a bit younger when that happened...and it was fun! and I think it was legal...I think you can shoot out of vehicles at varmints...maybe I am wrong about that point...but there is a definite "vibe" in South Dakota!!!!

My comment was directed to the point that "it was fun" and "and I think it was legal". In SD it was not legal to pursue any animal from a moving vehicle In 2011 SB 51 legalized pursuing coyotes from snowmobiles and other vehicles, but testimony provided at those hearings specifically stated the vehicle must be stopped before shooting.

As to your point that "If you only knew what the youngins do out there when it comes to coyotes (snowmobiles) you would be taken aback". You're right I am taken aback.

It is always dangerous and unethical to shoot from a moving vehicle.

The fact that no kids were there is immaterial as you painted a pretty good picture for those kids who follow this site including my kids when they were younger.

That said I do enjoy and appreciate both Haymaker and your previous posts for your observations and information, but I still think you were both wrong to post about the exciting and fun pursuit of both coyotes and rabbits from a moving vehicle.

My comment was directed to the point that "it was fun" and "and I think it was legal". In SD it was not legal to pursue any animal from a moving vehicle In 2011 SB 51 legalized pursuing coyotes from snowmobiles and other vehicles, but testimony provided at those hearings specifically stated the vehicle must be stopped before shooting.

As to your point that "If you only knew what the youngins do out there when it comes to coyotes (snowmobiles) you would be taken aback". You're right I am taken aback.

The fact that no kids were there is immaterial as you painted a pretty good picture for those kids who follow this site including my kids when they were younger.

That said I do enjoy and appreciate both Haymaker and your previous posts for your observations and information, but I still think you were both wrong to post about the exciting and fun pursuit of both coyotes and rabbits from a moving vehicle.

Point made move on.............

Any day Im not at my desk staring at 2 computer monitors and able to enjoy the day afield whether upland hunting with the pup or with a bow in my hand is a good day. For me it could be about who and what I see to and from a destination, not THE destination itself. Birds and deer are the bonus to me, nature and who is with me(with no injuries or safety concerns) are what makes it a great day honestly

Thanks. Like I said, you are welcome to your opinions. You have shared them in an abundant fashion. As Dylan said, "you go you're way, and I'll go mine!" Carry on.

Just for my own edification, I called a SD game warden. Varmints, including coyotes, can be shot at from a vehicle...even a moving vehicle. But you cannot be "PURSUING" the varmint, technically...and you have to be on private property and have permission. which we were, and did, it was my ground. So you are correct. I guess my one and only attempt to do in a coyote from a vehicle was, in fact, an illegal act. Thanks for your most excellent service to the board. I guess the reality of the situation is that most guys who are out and about would have a rifle with them...so, the truck is stationary, and you are cracking away at the galloping--or stationary--coyote. totally legal...barrels can be protruding from the vehicle even as you drive around...and the vehicle can still be moving if it isn't "pursuing" the coyote. If was funny, when I specifically asked him about PURSUING the coyote from a vehicle, and shooting at it from the vehicle, he definitely paused, and said something to the effect, "yeah, that's where you start to cross the line...technically, yeah, you are entering the next dimension"...we can all read between the lines...my one and only transgression with coyotes occurred with just a shotgun, hence my buddy couldn't take the long shot...I never thought 7 or 10 seconds of my life would elicit such discussion! Anyway, hope everyone has a nice life...oh, I forgot, I started running red lights earlier this year...no kidding...well, not "running" them, but if I am at a light, and there is nobody coming, and no cops around, I proceed through the red light...my choice, willing to accept the consequences....usually early in the day...real early...but I routinely proceed through red lights... daily...I feel very OK about it. No problem sleeping at night. I guess we each make our own decisions, have to live with the consequences if we are busted...and let your own conscience deal with the behavior...no issue with it so far...good strategy so far.

Last edited:
Why do I somewhat wonder what type of law enforcement officer you were based on the electic types of cases you say you worked on--
Were you a certified officer--private--or insurance investigator--or similar?

Just wondering?

A good day hunting? Well that would be shots at numerous birds because I always miss the easy shots. Time spent with friends eating breakfast or dinner and telling stories is all part of the fun and a good hunt. I can walk with my dogs on my property all day long but that is not good hunting to me. I prefer to see multiple flushes and have shots at numerous birds. A limit to take home and I am a happy camper I mean hunter.

Birddog I see you are rather new here so welcome to the forum. There are a lot of different opinions on here but also a lot of good folks.

A great day of hunting for me is no misses. if I don't miss any shots I always feel good after the hunt. That's why I only have good days of hunting. Also, if me and my lazy, always complaining farmer friends can accidentally run over a few coyotes with my truck that's a huge bonus.

A great day of hunting for me is no misses. if I don't miss any shots I always feel good after the hunt. That's why I only have good days of hunting. Also, if me and my lazy, always complaining farmer friends can accidentally run over a few coyotes with my truck that's a huge bonus.

I will have a sex change operation if we can get married...no kidding. You are the one for me!!!!

I hunt public land.

Good hunting to me is being able to work the dog and have opportunities at birds without a crowd of people.

The most memorable hunt was the triple I got with my GSP and 7yr old son tagging along. My dog and I chased the cripple down and my son picked up the other two that landed on top of each other. Got another GSP that is now 2yrs old. A good hunt to me is 38 degrees, light winds and a dog. Also a dog that will point and retrieve pheasants in thick heavy cover or over water.

A good pheasant hunting day for me starts before daylight with a great breakfast of hot coffee, bacon and eggs. I feed the dogs, load the truck and head out to one of my favorite spots. If there is two to three inches of fresh snow on the ground that is a definite plus in my book. I like overcast skies so I don't have to worry about the sun in my eyes and a slight breeze is nice too. On a great day I am hunting with my son and we spend time together just visiting and maybe forming great hunting strategies. My favorite shot is having the dog lock up on a bird that is buried in the snow, you guys have been there, they sit so tight that you kick and kick and kick and all the sudden the bird flushes, snow flying in your face the bird fly's straight away and you hear that familiar CAK-CAK-CAK BOOM (my favorite sound in the world) and the rooster drops out of the sky, my dog retrieves to hand, that is a good pheasant hunting day for me. It's not how many I shoot, it's how I get them that counts for me. Good company, a solid plan, good tactics, good dog work and good shooting, that's what makes it fun for me.

For me, any time I can pheasant hunt is a successful day. I was born, raised and live in Florida but my dad was brought up in SD and I finally got a chance to hunt with him and other family members after college. I haven't missed a season yet, even if just for the weekend.

Something very special about the midwest, from the family diners, friendly culture and the beautiful habitat, brings me back every year!!

Back