?What is "good" Pheasant hunting to you?

I like to get some birds, but if I don't, I just enjoy being out there. A good day for me, is seeing some birds, getting some shots, having a few beers after hunting, watching my dog, that kind of thing.

Seeing and Hearing that beautiful rooster on the end of Obie's nose while hunting public MN lands; having the opportunity to work the dog on birds. A perfect day when I don't have to break up a dog/raccoon fight (the last outing 2016), fall into a fox hole or bandage, sew or staple anyone on the team. The first crack of that victory beer after casing the shotgun and at least seeing a couple of birds. That is my perfect pheasant hunting day.

What's wrong with rednecks I'm one. Besides if you not supposed to shoot from the road they wouldn't put side windows in pickups

Personally I plan hunts for weeks or even a month plus at a time and I could give a shit about getting a limit every day. In fact it's
exhausting to clean and cook limits multiple days in a row and staying within possession limits gets to be impossible.

I much prefer areas that have less hunters,better scenery,and a enough birds to keep the dogs active. I'd rather go fishing than hunt areas with hoards of orange clad fudds no matter how many birds there is.

Personally I plan hunts for weeks or even a month plus at a time and I could give a shit about getting a limit every day. In fact it's
exhausting to clean and cook limits multiple days in a row and staying within possession limits gets to be impossible.

I much prefer areas that have less hunters,better scenery,and a enough birds to keep the dogs active. I'd rather go fishing than hunt areas with hoards of orange clad fudds no matter how many birds there is.
I like your attitude, I don't like seeing the filson crowd, with their 69, 000 dollar trucks, and dog trailers, and all that high brow gear. Those guys usually aren't good hunters.Ive spanked several guys like that, with my 870. What it's about , is enjoying my dog, and the scenery.

The thing is I have a bunch of filson stuff. Like way more than I should but I like it and I use it in the field until I wear it out.

Sometimes I carry a pump,but mostly a beretta auto. I have a nice truck but my dog rides inside. He goes everywhere with me once it's cool enough for him not to overheat. Hunting or just bumming around.

I'm not in a competition with anyone sorry that you feel like you need to be. A lot of adults have a childhood complex they can't get over.

Our mindsets couldn't be more different.

The thing is I have a bunch of filson stuff. Like way more than I should but I like it and I use it in the field until I wear it out.

Sometimes I carry a pump,but mostly a beretta auto. I have a nice truck but my dog rides inside. He goes everywhere with me once it's cool enough for him not to overheat. Hunting or just bumming around.

I'm not in a competition with anyone sorry that you feel like you need to be. A lot of adults have a childhood complex they can't get over.

Our mindsets couldn't be more different.

I was thinking the same thing. People tend to spend money on things they are passionate about. If you hunt and use your gear a lot, I don't see an issue with having nice things. Gear does not make you a better hunter but you'll probably be more comfortable doing it.

Why do people brag about spanking people with a pump? When I shoot in my leagues, the pump guys have a huge disadvantage and they ultimately buy an auto or o/u. I would think it would be the same way in the field.
I shot a pump for about 10 years exclusively. Then it broke and I had to upgrade. Moving from a pump to an auto was weird at first but now there is no way I would ever go back to a pump.
I think if you can spank a guy with a pump. You could probably spank him with any kind of shotgun. Even a single shot.

I don't understand why anyone brags about any sort of competition when they're hunting.

Make a triple on some grouse in the prairie, yeah brag about it. Your dog pins down a running rooster and makes a great retrieve after you shoot it, yeah brag about it.

But putting yourself against strangers? Lame

Be humble out there.

good pheasant hunting: is hunting with my 84 year old friend who taught me a lot about bird hunting and working with my dog. he gave me my first dog 40 years ago out of his litter. just watching the dog work and being with friends. as for the actual bird, any, is just a bonus.
I hunt in Iowa and the two of us will be able to have at least 6 birds that allow us good shots by lunch time, hopefully we miss a couple so we can go back at them late afternoon, when we catch our breath....... last year on opening day we started on a little 20 acre spot of crp ground those 6 good shots came in the first hour.....be safe all

I don't agree with rabbit hunting.Why would anybody want to do that?Hunting from a vehicle, is unsportsmanlike red neck activity.Its Lowbaggers.These big game hunters who shoot from trucks, are idiots, and should be jailed. A good day of hunting for me, is not seeing any of these types.

I don't agree with rabbit hunting.Why would anybody want to do that?Hunting from a vehicle, is unsportsmanlike red neck activity.Its Lowbaggers.These big game hunters who shoot from trucks, are idiots, and should be jailed. A good day of hunting for me, is not seeing any of these types.

Why rabbit hunt, is that a rhetorical question or do you really want to know the answer?

Dennis,

Good visiting with you today and hope the rest of the season improves.

Question: with such a poor and late crop, do you think operators will leave their crop in the field over the winter vs taking it out now? Is there any economy in doing this?

Just wondering if hunters may face crops up the entire season...

Dennis,

Good visiting with you today and hope the rest of the season improves.

Question: with such a poor and late crop, do you think operators will leave their crop in the field over the winter vs taking it out now? Is there any economy in doing this?

Just wondering if hunters may face crops up the entire season...

It will come out when it is dry enough. The price of corn makes it important to let it dry. Leaving it out will cost some harvest loss but the price is higher in the spring. We want it out if we can.

Back