Venison Backstraps

Labman

Hey guys

I normally have a guy do my processing for me, which I did again this year. I normally get all the deer made into several different things and don't keep the backstraps whole for steaks/etc. I have 1 backstrap right now that I want to grill. What are some favorite recipes of yours for Venison backstraps? I plan on grilling it on a fishing trip the beginning of May and I want it to be very tasty. I'm a big fan of marinading meat like that. Any suggestions or recipes you guys would be appreciated. My brother in law gave me the backstrap off one of his deer, and I can't wait to eat it. I don't believe I've ever had backstraps off a deer, made into steaks. I'm now getting hungry..........

I can't wait to see the recipes on this one...

The backstrap is great for steaks but whatever you do, you will need to tenderize the meat somehow. I have a dry rub I apply then vacuum seal the steaks and throw them in the fridge for several days. I take them out in the morning and allow them to get to room temp before cooking them at night. That helps the natural enzymes to break down and tenderize the meat. Good luck with your steaks!...now I'm hungy :rolleyes:

When I cook backstraps, I prefer to smoke them... If you don't have a smoker, you can easily set up a standard grill as a smoker. Just put your lit coals and wood on one side of the grill, and place your meat on the opposite side.

I like to marinade my backstraps overnight. I don't have an exact recipe for this, but I'll try to approximate what I use.

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup red cooking wine (or straight up red wine, gives you an excuse to drink :D)
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup white onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

After marinating, you may elect to put a dry rub on the backstrap. If you have a favorite pork, poultry, or beef rub, use it. I prefer a pork-based rub.

Now, the last and most magnificent step. Wrap the entire backstrap in bacon! If you really want to impress your guests, and show your bacon prowess, you can elect to do a bacon weave. Here's a example of how easy it is to do a bacon weave (the guy is slightly annoying though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5k1EPMNLf0

Smoke low 'n slow (~220 degrees), until the internal temperature is medium rare (130 - 145 degrees). If you prefer crispier bacon, place the backstrap over heat (your coals) once the internal temperature reaches approximately 110 degrees, turning the backstrap and crisping the bacon until the medium rare temperature is reached.

I prefer smoking venison with cherry wood. Apple wood is good as well, or a mixture of apple and cherry. :D

I like easy,fast and GOOD.

I have done this with roast also so use about that amount of meat.

Place meat ontop of Foil wrap
1/2 packet Lipton soup mix
5 Cloves garlic minced
1/2 onion ontop.

I would double wrap in foil if your grilling. Take your time on this one. let it cook slow. or oven 350 for 1 1/2 hours. good luck
I have a great K-bob recipe if you want that instead

If the meat was properly aged you shouldn't need to tenderize it at all. I like mine simple. Cut in to steaks (however thick you like), salt and pepper liberally, and grill or pan sear medium rare and enjoy. We deer hunt to eat venison so I like mine to taste as such.:cheers:

Great Ideas guys! I do have a smoker, and enjoy trying things in my smoker. I just got one about 2 years ago.

This sounds like a good one. I've been searching online for recipes also, but wanted to see what you guys had in mind.

Thanks for the ideas, maybe we can keep it going and get some more ideas on backstraps.......

When I cook backstraps, I prefer to smoke them... If you don't have a smoker, you can easily set up a standard grill as a smoker. Just put your lit coals and wood on one side of the grill, and place your meat on the opposite side.

I like to marinade my backstraps overnight. I don't have an exact recipe for this, but I'll try to approximate what I use.

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup red cooking wine (or straight up red wine, gives you an excuse to drink :D)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

After marinating, you may elect to put a dry rub on the backstrap. If you have a favorite pork, poultry, or beef rub, use it. I prefer a pork-based rub.

Now, the last and most magnificent step. Wrap the entire backstrap in bacon! If you really want to impress your guests, and show your bacon prowess, you can elect to do a bacon weave. Here's a example of how easy it is to do a bacon weave (the guy is slightly annoying though).

Smoke low 'n slow (~220 degrees), until the internal temperature is medium rare (130 - 145 degrees). If you prefer crispier bacon, place the backstrap over heat (your coals) once the internal temperature reaches approximately 110 degrees, turning the backstrap and crisping the bacon until the medium rare temperature is reached.

I prefer smoking venison with cherry wood. Apple wood is good as well, or a mixture of apple and cherry. :D

1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple juice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

AWESOME!!!! We might have to give that a go at our annual boys weekend.

If the meat was properly aged you shouldn't need to tenderize it at all. I like mine simple. Cut in to steaks (however thick you like), salt and pepper liberally, and grill or pan sear medium rare and enjoy. We deer hunt to eat venison so I like mine to taste as such.:cheers:

I go along with QH. Back straps even on an old Muley buck are tasty and tender, yup got to be aged a week. I've eaten a ton. Grilled with salt and pepper at high heat flipped when browned, cut about 3/4 inch thick.:cheers:
Let us know.

I throw a lot of strap on the grill, usually about 8" lengths. I rub olive oil and garlic salt and make sure it does not overcook. Have used similar marinade's to those mentioned here with great results.
Famous Dave's rib seasoning is good too. I actually make my own using Lowery's with the addition of garlic, red pepper and celery seed. Much cheaper and I do not think you can tell the difference. Shot a yearling off the back deck this year and just ate strap on the grill the other nite with that combo and was as good as anything I have ever eaten. If broiling in the stove add a little liquid smoke to the bottom of the pan with some water or add to marinade--go easy with the liquid smoke tho.

Very helpful guys! Thanks for the pointers. Maybe we'll continue to get some more ideas here. I'm really getting hungry again reading those suggestions. I only have 1 backstrap, I haven't decided what I'll do yet, but I'm definately grilling or smoking it.

I throw a lot of strap on the grill, usually about 8" lengths. I rub olive oil and garlic salt and make sure it does not overcook. Have used similar marinade's to those mentioned here with great results.
Famous Dave's rib seasoning is good too. I actually make my own using Lowery's with the addition of garlic, red pepper and celery seed. Much cheaper and I do not think you can tell the difference. Shot a yearling off the back deck this year and just ate strap on the grill the other nite with that combo and was as good as anything I have ever eaten. If broiling in the stove add a little liquid smoke to the bottom of the pan with some water or add to marinade--go easy with the liquid smoke tho.

I do the same!!! I have found it better not to cut the meat into little steaks until after cooked because venison is so easily over cooked. I like black peppercorn and Raven's Western Barbeque Seasoning. You have to order it from California. Slow and low while cooking and you got some of the best eats!!!:10sign:

Back