Tx quail hunt now that KS is closed.

SetterNut

Making at trip down by San Angelo Tx this coming week.

The reports are 15 to even 20 coveys a day. We will have some young dogs and a couple of quail veterans. Main goal is to get the young dogs into as many birds as possible and get some training in. But with the older dogs there may be some significant shooting :D

Making at trip down by San Angelo Tx this coming week.

The reports are 15 to even 20 coveys a day. We will have some young dogs and a couple of quail veterans. Main goal is to get the young dogs into as many birds as possible and get some training in. But with the older dogs there may be some significant shooting :D

15-20 covies?:eek: Whoa! Will you be hunting private land? All bobwhites or are there scales down there too? Sorry for all the questions, have fun and remember to take a lot of :coolpics:.

P.s. You're my hero for chasing those few, lingering open seasons.

Last edited:
That ought to give the youngsters a boost! Good luck!!! Are you going to see Bobby and Karla? Tell them hi if you do!

will be mostly blues....they never stop running. to be honest with the drought down here 4-5 coveys a day would be a treat....

We are driving down today. I my buddy Alan's RV.
Wind is really bad. 10 - 11 hour drive.
It's Bobs, on a private lease. It better be good, we are paying plenty.

Let me know what to expect, I am heading down to the same place

in 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Day one, 15 or so coveys seen about 10 pointed and held for shots.
11 birds bagged but could have shot many more.

My pup Tuck, got his gun exposure done, he pointed several times, and ended his first hunt with him pointing a bird me walking in front, and a shot bird.

Indy did pretty well, bumped a couple of spread out coveys, but point multiple coveys, and retrieved 4 birds to my hand.

Alan's dogs are doing great, his pup Bella, has had multiple finds.

But the cactus is pretty bad in spots.

Day 2, is starting now.

600 wild quail in a day's hunt? Who would have thought it? When things are right, those little buggers do their thing and some areas of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas have seen those conditions the last two years. Let's hope it continues and expands into other areas.

I know a guy with a 1,500 acre lease that is guiding down there. Similar numbers. I really wanted to take my pup down there, but she isn't quite ready yet. Hope the off season is favorable so I can make a trip next year.

Well day 2 was similar to day 1. Couple of the young dogs had major step forward days.
I would guess we saw 15 or more coveys again. We are also find pairs as well.

I know a guy with a 1,500 acre lease that is guiding down there. Similar numbers. I really wanted to take my pup down there, but she isn't quite ready yet. Hope the off season is favorable so I can make a trip next year.

Wildcat -- take her down there! You have the perfect mindset right now for that experience -- ZERO expectations (and that's the most important part) -- the dogs are bred for this stuff as long as us owners just get the hell out of the way.

Got back late last night. It was an awesome trip, but not one that I could afford to do very often :eek:

The young dogs really got some great exposure to birds and all progressed a lot. It was the best training you could ask for. The last half day with the 3 youngest dogs on the ground, we found and pointed 7 covey in a little over an hour.

The coveys there were pretty big for the most part. The cover was pretty thin and the birds in the coveys were more spread out than we generally see here in KS. It looked like some of the birds were also starting to pair up, we found pairs many times.

Would guess that we saw 250 -350 birds a day, around 15 coveys per day and some pairs and singles. We shot plenty of birds, but could have pretty easily shot limits most days. We only shot pointed birds and didn't try to shoot doubles very often so that we didn't loose birds.

I will post some of the GoPro video I shot if I can get it edited tonight.
Some of the descriptions of the shooting and bird behavior may not be suitable for all audiences.

Steve, you may have just proved you not really a bird guy! A real bird guy that found a spot he could move 15 coveys a day would have found a job and a house there and sent for his stuff:) Glad you had a good trip!

Back