Tx quail hunt now that KS is closed.

wow, sounds like a good trip, glad it worked out for you....long drive and expensive......but you got your pups into birds and handled them as you wished, i am sure they learned a lot and with that much bird contact you can control and pick your out comes....good for you, i am sure the pups will be much better for that experience.
hopefully next season you can polish them some more closer to home...it takes time, congrats....as you can see though our cover down here and the drought has taken it's toll.....Kansas is no different, but it seems there have been some good rains this winter up there, so hope it stays wet and the summer is not so brutally hot!

Had to go in to work today, or I would have posted some of the video.
It was really fun. The young dogs learned tons.

sounds good Steve...glad you had a good trip...I'm SOOO jealous ....can't wait to see some of the video

Thanks for sharing your hunt very jealous and hope one day to have a similar experience. Looking forward to your videos.

Very nice videos, thanks for sharing need to get a gopro. Where are all the trees it is to easy shooting in that open range land......:cheers:

Pretty sweet videos, Steve. Tuck's pointing instinct is apparently much stronger than his retrieving instinct.

The coveys looked smallish from the videos. What would you say your average covey size was?

Tuck actually has pretty good retrieving instincts. That was the first time he got to hunt dead and he pointed it. But with the other pup running around trying to take the bird from him he was not in a giving mood.

There was not a lot of grass on the ground there. As much dirt and rock as grass. It shows me that on my place the grass in way to thick.

But I am still picking cactus out of Indy, there was a lot of it and he is not the most careful dog when he is hunting.

I may try to do a couple more videos and post them over the next couple of days.

Just watched your videos on my 55" flat screen and I wished I had a video to capture my Britt puppy watching the action! She saw the covey flush and walked closer to the screen then see really perked up with the gun shots, then my youngest lab came over and started watching. Priceless........cheers to your videos, I just put a gopro on my wish list.:10sign:

hard to believe there are any quail in that sparse cover....i will take Kansas any day in a good milo field!

hard to believe there are any quail in that sparse cover....i will take Kansas any day in a good milo field!

It looked a little grazed, but you have to remember that most of that grass and nearly all of those weeds are native and natural food for quail. If it's a Texas quail lease or a Kansas milo field -- I'd be headed south. You got a trade to make?

Steve,

I was just saying that he had a look on his face like -- I know you want me to move, but my instincts say stand right here as solid as can be.

Last edited:
Back