Todd Haley Deathwatch

Carp,

We hunted around Pierre on public land only. Did quite well considering the bluebird days and hunting pressure. I think everybody and their brother decided to hunt where the bird #'s were strongest which I was afraid of. We totaled 56 roosters in 4.5 days for 4 guys with dogs and two old boys to do a little blocking for us when they could (hard to do on public land). They had a good time just seeing all the wildlife out there (their first opener in SD and only 2nd trip). There seemed to be plenty of birds, especially really young ones, as the crops were coming out heavily. Just too many jacklegs to deal with on public but we knew that going in. Had a good time and looking forward to the next trip.

I wish i could have talked to you before. We also hunted Pierre area, on private land, Stayed in Pierre and hunted up around Harold and Blunt. Sounds like you did well. I was with my 2 sons, 19 and 14, with better shooting we would have had limits in a couple of hours. Us 3 got 27 in 3 days, saw 3-400 birds total. We only stayed Sat, Sun, and Monday, as my older son is in college and could not miss too many days. I posted in Main hunting forum with some pics. My lab got sprayed by a skunk. If you go next year let me know. How bout those Texans?

Carp,

I wish we would have spoken also as that is the area we hunted and we also stayed in Pierre. We definitely need to grab a beer next time as we go every year now. This was our first time hunting that area as we normally hunt around Presho but we found this spot last year on the last day so thought the pressure wouldn't have been as great but we were wrong on that end. We stay at the Super 8. How about you? Do you pay a trespass fee or are you lucky enough to have connections in the area? You guys did excellent yourselves and I'm glad your sons got to experience that. I hunted with my father and uncle who are both in their seventies and have hunted Iowa all their life so it was an accomplishment to get them to go to SD last Christmas and back for opening this year. Sorry to hear about your lab getting sprayed. That always sucks. The Texans seem to be decent this year but just lack the depth of a championship team.

Dude i was staying at the super 8 also. We did pay a tresspass fee. It is all waterways and draws through crop fields. The guy is a great host. 15000+ acres. We never hunted the same plot twice in 3 days. Has other land near Missouri River, couldn't hunt it because of snakes, too warm. I hunt Aberdeen all public 2nd week of december. I wanted my boys to experience the kind of hunt I experienced when I was a kid on private land with a lot of birds. My 14 yr old was able to get his first 2, and my 19 yr old got 6-7. They got a lot of action which is what I was after.

Well if you ate breakfast at the continental downstairs then you probably ran into my dad as I think he was there from opening to close just so he could talk to people (obviously loves to talk). That is great that you had your kids experience that and nothing wrong with paying a trespass fee. My cousin works for the IA DNR so him paying a fee is not gonna happen. I have done it once around Presho and was amazed by the birds and the only drawback is you get done too quickly. Have also hunted around Aberdeen some doing the public thing but seem to have better luck around Pierre. Please pass along the info you have on your host as we may go that route a few days next year if the jacklegs are as bad as this year. The weather sucked this year for hunting but at least it was somewhat cool after the first day. BTW, I'll be heading your way in mid Dec. for the Packer game.

How is chatting about good hunting in SD helping the chiefs?:D Nice to hear you guys had a great time:thumbsup: Whats the trepass fee thing?

Well if you ate breakfast at the continental downstairs then you probably ran into my dad as I think he was there from opening to close just so he could talk to people (obviously loves to talk). That is great that you had your kids experience that and nothing wrong with paying a trespass fee. My cousin works for the IA DNR so him paying a fee is not gonna happen. I have done it once around Presho and was amazed by the birds and the only drawback is you get done too quickly. Have also hunted around Aberdeen some doing the public thing but seem to have better luck around Pierre. Please pass along the info you have on your host as we may go that route a few days next year if the jacklegs are as bad as this year. The weather sucked this year for hunting but at least it was somewhat cool after the first day. BTW, I'll be heading your way in mid Dec. for the Packer game.

that's funny. Now i remember your dad talking about iowa hunting. In fact i think one morning i sat next to you guys. I will pm you my hosts info. He is a great host. Place to clean birds and he will work hard to get you shots. Young guy in his late twenties. Coot is busting my balls about me hijacking my own thread. Imagine that, coot complaining about irrelevant crap being posted on here:D. He is starting to sound like a certain mad Vikings fan:eek:

LOL!!! I only went to breakfast a few days but the first one was Sunday and he was talking to a group of 3 at a table and when they eventually left, he got up and moved one table over and started another converstation with a couple guys. I just laughed. I'm starting to think the Minnescrotums rubbed off on Coot when he visited.:eek:

Since my football predictions are so spot on:eek: I am calling the chiefs game as a 24-17 chiefs win. Chiefs will be in first place monday night.

After visiting the land of the crappy football team I fell I'm a reborn person:thumbsup: It's not very often a team puts a coach that LOST 4 SUPERBOWLS in the ring of honor. Should be the ring of horror:)and I've never heard of them others. They have a 13 inch tv in the staduim to for viewing:thumbsup: Wonder if the angry ones done crying yet:D Oh I better pick the winner of the kc sd game. KC 24 SD 21. And Haleys going to win coach of the year:10sign:

Since my football predictions are so spot on:eek: I am calling the chiefs game as a 24-17 chiefs win. Chiefs will be in first place monday night.
T
wow closer than i thought. the new name of the thread is: Todd Haley my hero. Chiefs are super bowl bound. Now all the haters are all on the band wagon. Chiefs are destined for 10-6 and another early exit. I am not happy. All is not going according to plan. Bye Andrew you won't be coming here. Maybe we can change cassells name, his look, his agility, his arm,his accuracy..........................you get the point. Cassels line: 2 picks, lost fumble, 1 touchdowns. Not getting it done.

Last edited:
Man that coach needs to look more professonial. I don't even think the team listens to him. Not to worry Vikings will trade all of the draft for Cassel:) They have a history of stupid trades:D. That should bring the angry one out of hiding;) Then KC can trade down to get LUCK:thumbsup: I was close on the score. I'm picking Maimi 27 KC 17 this week:(

Wow the town is electric after the gift from SD last night. They are talking contract extentions for haley. After looking at schedule again, 7-9 with no playoffs. This is after spanking miami and denver to go to 6-3

Chiefs win again to go to 5-3. Final score is 3-0 chiefs. Man people are talking like Haley is freakin Vince Lombardi or something. I am wondering when he is getting a street named after him. Watch Chiefs go to 6-3 next week. Then schedule gets alot tougher. Bottom falls out by the end of the season and Chiefs don't finish above .500. Then we go back to death watch for off season.

man what a turd of a game. Well no andrew luck, but haley should be done. From here out chiefs won't win another game. Cassel is a mess. He missed many open receivers today. He is becoming a whiner looking for pass interference on every play. There is no reason haley should not have been able to get his team ready and win against these two crappy teams the last 2 weeks. Haley and cassel need to go.

Watched Stanford last night, not sure I wanted Luck anyway! But Mr. right 53 can get on the bus out of town any time. He can take Romeo with him, Denver ran some record number of rushing plays, we never stopped them, made him look like Dan Fouts when he had to throw.

Well K.C. needs to learn to catch the damn ball!!! As far as Tebow, Just Win Ugly Baby!!!! I am sure liking Mr Decker from the University Of Minn!!!!!!! Been a stud all year!!! Sure think the heads of State are holding the reins a little tight on Passing. But if you can run for that many yards, I guess I can't bitch!:10sign:

Back