Teachers

How many guns can I have ? May have to pack up! Wife could work and I could hunt!!! Win, Win !!!!:cheers:

No restriction on long guns you can own. Handguns are restricted though and require a special license and you can not CC or hunt with them , only target shoot at approved club ranges. If your wife had 10 years left of working days in her you would be set for life with a fabulous pension.

My belief, getting back to teachers salaries is the same for any profession. I belive you should get paid based on your skill, effort, and measurable results. I don't see any standards for teachers based on those points.

bigblue

My wife is a school teacher and has 23 years under her belt along with a masters degree in admin, and english lit, I could not be more proud of her with what she has to put up with on a daily basis. And with a salary just over 50 a year under paid for sure. God bless teachers! Public education is what makes us better than the rest and always has!

:thumbsup: to your wife. By the way, I'm looking for an English Lit. teacher and could bump that $50K a little...:p

No problem and I don't blame you...but it never hurts to ask!

:thumbsup: to your wife. By the way, I'm looking for an English Lit. teacher and could bump that $50K a little...:p

Can ya talk to our Superintendent? A bump over $50k would make my $36k after 18 years of teaching a godsend.

My belief, getting back to teachers salaries is the same for any profession. I belive you should get paid based on your skill, effort, and measurable results. I don't see any standards for teachers based on those points.

Probably never see standards like that. Can you imagine the justification for standards on a PE teacher the same as far a Chem./A-P teacher?

Really not possible. You couldn't put a teacher teaching in some the poorest rural communities up against say, teachers teaching in Eden Prairie Mn. Also, kids that have to help say on the family farm and a kid who lives on a lot in a suburb of the twin cities. where that kid has little study time taken up by long hours working. Just isn't fair to hold the teacher responsible. Lots of variables, including what parents demand out of their kids. Some parents are just happy to see their kid is passing. yet others demand high grades.

Pay the teachers what they deserve. Most pay their day care more per day then they pay their school teacher who's teaching their child.

Last edited:
You teachers need to move to Ontario, seriously. They start at $45K and within 10yrs on the job have moved up the grid to $90K. School principal gets $130K. Pensions are 70% of salary, health benefits until death.

You teachers need to move to Ontario, seriously. They start at $45K and within 10yrs on the job have moved up the grid to $90K. School principal gets $130K. Pensions are 70% of salary, health benefits until death.

What's the tax rate????? and cost of living????

IMO, meaningless if your living comfortably with good heath care. Isn't that what is really needed in life?

IMO, meaningless if your living comfortably with good heath care. Isn't that what is really needed in life?

There is no way you can say that the tax rate and COL are meaningless. They can be a significant factor. In my lifetime I've moved around to a few different states where taxes and COL were different. You most certainly have to take that into consideration when negotiating salary and benefits. It would be pretty tough to take the salary you are making in say South Dakota and move to a state like California for the same salary and still maintain the same standard of living.

There is no way you can say that the tax rate and COL are meaningless. They can be a significant factor. In my lifetime I've moved around to a few different states where taxes and COL were different. You most certainly have to take that into consideration when negotiating salary and benefits. It would be pretty tough to take the salary you are making in say South Dakota and move to a state like California for the same salary and still maintain the same standard of living.

I can agree somewhat. My problem comes in with people thinking they must constantly be gaining wealth. IMO, that's part of our problem. Nobody is willing to except just having a comfortable living. Years ago people excepted a lifetime to accumulate what some might consider wealth. Today, everybody wants instant wealth. Kids just getting married want a new home, 2 new cars, a boat, Etc. One doesn't have wonder why the failure rate is so high and foreclosures hovering near record levels for a number of years.

I drive vehicles for years and years. They get rusty and such. I have friends who go through 5-6 or more vehicles in the same time period. Hardly a soul I know have anything big payed for. Everything in mortgaged. Both my places are free and clear as of a month ago. I have no vehicle payments.

If more people learned to live a life of being happy with just being comfortable with a roof over ones head and food in their belly. They would without a doubt live a more relaxed healthier life.

op, what you say is probably true, but the fact is our culture has changed, like it or not. Besides, we are getting way off subject here so lets just let this one die.

op, what you say is probably true, but the fact is our culture has changed, like it or not. Besides, we are getting way off subject here so lets just let this one die.

I'm OK with that Chief:thumbsup:

Cost of living in Ontario is not cheap. For example in Toronto a 1400sq ft bungalow in the city would run for $375000 on the rough side to $700,000 in nice neighborhoods. I live about an hour North of the city and my humble 30 yr old semi detached home in a suburb is worth $275000 ( property taxes are $2400 on my home). It costs me $85 to fill my Jeep Liberty. A Browning Citori is worth $1800 and a loaf of bread is $3.00. We do have great woodcock and grouse hunting and plenty of waterfowl if that works for you. I also can hunt whitetail, black bear and moose. Come on up, we have room for ya.:cheers:

Back