Teachers

Oh my bad carptom1. I guess I can't express my feelings in the lounge part of the forum.

Teachers is what we were talking about, right? Dang, I just can't get the gun grabbers off my mind right now. This forum should be on fire talking about how we can stop these lunatics from messing with our 2nd amendment right to bear arms!

Not trying to offend, just saying we'd better stand up and do something!

Just start a different thread. Leave this one to teachers.

Noone is going to take our legitimate guns away. Won't happen, get over it.

I'm in my third year as an educator, and I will say this i don't necessarily care about my pay (though it would be nice to make more, but who doesn't say that), but I would love it if more wasn't expected when less resources are given. In our state (Ks) the governor has taken the budget and ripped it up and tacked on more in the way of expectations. As educators we knew what we were getting into as far as pay so I can't complain about it I guess!

My Wife is a teacher at a private school( year round)! She wanted and applied for a public School teaching position ( Elem ) Since she has her Masters degree her pay rate would be higher to start! Needless to say she is still at the same school! Maybe someday when things are better!!

12 years teaching and coaching; 15 years as a HS principal; and now a superintendent for the past three...........and UPH moderator for awhile now;

Lets all settle down a bit or ill get my very well used paddle after all of you. :)

12 years teaching and coaching; 15 years as a HS principal; and now a superintendent for the past three...........and UPH moderator for awhile now;

Lets all settle down a bit or ill get my very well used paddle after all of you. :)

I was hoping you would come save the day..:cheers::)

I'm all for people getting paid what they're worth, but I'm never in favor of these across-the-board proclamations that the whole lot of people in whatever profession deserve more money.

My brother is a teacher and so are some of my best friends. Sadly, however, there are some in that line of work who aren't worth minimum wage. They don't even do a decent job with the baby-sitting part. I was forced to be in a classroom with some of them and I've encountered others as an adult. They don't deserve anywhere near the wage their presently pulling down.

These types are a small minority, but they absolutely exist. Making teaching a "lucrative" profession would create more of them.

There are certain valued professions in which the pay is not one of the most attractive aspects, and that's not all bad. More often than not, only the truly dedicated (and V-John, I know you're among that group) will apply.

Sorry JMc, those that teach, Teach those that can't coach, and those that can't coach, Administrate. Not an attack on you. But coming from a long line of Teachers and Professors. The above statment stands.

That said I think Teachers get screwed. They/ Good ones/ Give way more than they make. They should make 3 or 4 times what they are payed.

OP, Your statments about right to work states Is incorrect at most states that are solvent. Right to work states work on competition level. Unions had a place in this county at one time, that time has past.

JMc It was not an attack on you, Good for you for being involved with the education process. That statment about teachers and coaches and administraters is and old Joke in the teaching community. However I bet you have said it you self. The first 12 years of your Teaching.

Last edited:
With our retirement system in Texas, administration is the only way to stay out of poverty.

With our retirement system in Texas, administration is the only way to stay out of poverty.

JMc,

I hear you. I was head coach and a teacher, years ago. Math teacher found a much better job out side of schools and teaching.

My whole family has been teachers in one form or another.:thumbsup:

Sorry JMc,
OP, Your statments about right to work states Is incorrect at most states that are solvent. Right to work states work on competition level. Unions had a place in this county at one time, that time has past.

LOL, we really have nothing to talk about then.

I stated fact on the matter. You stated your belief.

It always stymies me, how people let the ultra rich tell them how much better off they will be with less. While they get those same people to vote for them to get more.

Kind of like those who get free or near free government health care now. They tell you how bad it is but when you say, if it's that bad just give it up and go buy your health care insurance...Oh hell no..I earned this, it's just bad for you..LOL no it's just bad for his taxes..not bad for you. Too much "ME" and not enough "WE" in this country is the problem. I think it says "We" the people not "Me" the people.

And we wonder why free lunch/brekfast for school age children is such a hot issue to the cut and slash crowd? Might turn these "assets", ( and they are), into spectacular citizens someday, with the help of a caring teacher. I paid my taxes and smile it gets used that way. We could do more!

Wish more people thought like you! :)

I'm all for people getting paid what they're worth, but I'm never in favor of these across-the-board proclamations that the whole lot of people in whatever profession deserve more money.

My brother is a teacher and so are some of my best friends. Sadly, however, there are some in that line of work who aren't worth minimum wage. They don't even do a decent job with the baby-sitting part. I was forced to be in a classroom with some of them and I've encountered others as an adult. They don't deserve anywhere near the wage their presently pulling down.

These types are a small minority, but they absolutely exist. Making teaching a "lucrative" profession would create more of them.

There are certain valued professions in which the pay is not one of the most attractive aspects, and that's not all bad. More often than not, only the truly dedicated (and V-John, I know you're among that group) will apply.

Thanks for the kind words...

But the problem lies in this. How do you determine an effective teacher? Test scores? Student happiness? Student grades? It's a very interesting conundrum, really.

As far as unions go, well, I was a member for a bit, and if I remember right, dues were 50 bucks a month. I couldn't afford that, (yes, that's how tight of a budget I was/am on) but appreciate the work that they do. I have a friend who negotiates on our behalf and I am appreciative of all the work and time that they put into that.

Too much "ME" and not enough "WE" in this country is the problem. I think it says "We" the people not "Me" the people.

That's right OP. "We the people" not "we the government". This isn't a communist country right? Right???

Government is getting very heavy. "WE the people" are having one hell of a time watching our pay go down and taxes continually going up. Meanwhile the king's (ie-gov't) swallowing up our hard earned money then screaming out "MORE--I NEED MORE!!!".

Give me a break. Our $ disappears so fast it's discussing. And why not? It's not the gov't making it right? It "We the people". That is; "we" sorry saps who have to pay the way for the king.

The king is getting too big, too bossy, too ballsy, too noising, too controlling, too expansive. Giving him more more more more more will result with all of us enslaved to the king 12 months out of the year to feed the king vs. 2 to 6 months out of the year we work to feed him now. The king has been given enough. Let him make due with what he has;)

Last edited:
How to determine an effective teacher is by how many ex- students show up at your funeral, but by then it is to late! I hope some of you ( I know I did) had a teacher or coach who shaped or changed your life in a good way!:cheers:

That's right OP. "We the people" not "we the government". This isn't a communist country right? Right???

Government is getting very heavy. "WE the people" are having one hell of a time watching our pay go down and taxes continually going up. Meanwhile the king's (ie-gov't) swallowing up our hard earned money then screaming out "MORE--I NEED MORE!!!".

Give me a break. Our $ disappears so fast it's discussing. And why not? It's not the gov't making it right? It "We the people". That is; "we" sorry saps who have to pay the way for the king.

The king is getting too big, too bossy, too ballsy, too noising, too controlling, too expansive. Giving him more more more more more will result with all of us enslaved to the king 12 months out of the year to feed the king vs. 2 to 6 months out of the year we work to feed him now. The king has been given enough. Let him make due with what he has;)

Abe Lincoln says and I paraphrase at Gettysburg, " I will not be a slave, nor will I be a master, A king who stands and says you make bread and I'll eat it, is the same tyranical principle".

The reason the government has to step in and take over is because greed and a monopoly on serves by the private sector causes hardship for the general population. Take health care for example. When a 8 hour procedure from a doctor costs that of what some pay for their house, which takes a 30 year mortgage to pay for. That's when the government has to step in and take over. They did it with police and fire years ago. GREED!! blame those who choose to exploit those in need of necessities of everyday life. Capitalism has turned into out right thievery, swindle and robbery in the name of wealth at any cost.

I know how hard it is for teachers in private schools. Both my mom and sister taught in one.When my mom taught in the 50's and 60's she had double grades and had up to 54 kids at one time for a large class and her smallest class was 41.And my sister had up to 38 at one time for english class in the 70's and 80's.

The reason the government has to step in and take over is because greed and a monopoly on serves by the private sector causes hardship for the general population. Take health care for example. When a 8 hour procedure from a doctor costs that of what some pay for their house, which takes a 30 year mortgage to pay for. That's when the government has to step in and take over. They did it with police and fire years ago. GREED!! blame those who choose to exploit those in need of necessities of everyday life. Capitalism has turned into out right thievery, swindle and robbery in the name of wealth at any cost.

LOL The worst thing that can happen in your life is, I'm from the government and I'm here to Help. Run for the hills, run for your life.

You make me laugh out loud.

You really think that the Governmet Has your best interests in mind.....If so why don't they fall under Obama Care. They don't have to comply. It's a very large red FLAG. Wake UP.

And that's a point I've made in the past. As we loose control over ourselves, gov't then has a wide open door to squeeze/tax/control it's people all the more. It's no good.

I think it was Olddublin who mentioned some time ago in another thread that the problem is us and the answer is us. Very true. We the people have become the problem. Now the scary part; We begin to look to the gov't for all answers and security. Hence, rendering our liberties and freedoms void and invalid in due time.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams 1798

Back