Supplements for joints

isuhunter

Fellow dog owners - are you giving any supplements for joint and recovery after hunting/workouts? Our GSP is now 9 and takes longer to recover after a hunt. We've started Glucosamine but curious if others are using anything else?

Thanks!

I started giving my 12 year old GSP Glucosamine/Chondroitin a month prior to season. In the recent seasons he was very sore and stiff the following day after a virgerous morning hunt. Well, I think the soreness is what we feel, about the time we hit 50, muscles aching. The meds didn't seem to help, I was just over doing it with him and hadn't put in enough time with him prior to season. Now that season is winding down, his conditioning is much better and he feels much better after big outings. I did give him a couple aspirin after hunts early in the season...not sure that did much. I think the best thing for them would be to try to get some good conditioning in prior to season.

I've been giving Glycoflex stage 3 by Vetriscience for about 4 years. I have a ten year old that still hunts as hard as he ever has and seems to recover just about as quick.

Fellow dog owners - are you giving any supplements for joint and recovery after hunting/workouts? Our GSP is now 9 and takes longer to recover after a hunt. We've started Glucosamine but curious if others are using anything else?

Thanks!
My Older GSP who now is almost 15 and now retired as of the end of 2019 season, used to get stiff after a long day in the field. I asked my vet to give me a supply of Rimadyl (nonsteroidal anti-inflamatory) for those days and nights where stiffness set in. It worked like a charm and most mornings after giving him a pill the night before, the stiffness was completely gone. I swear by it....

On top of that in the last year or so I've been supplementing with Dasuquin with MSM. Seems to be keeping him going even though he's a super senior, he can still get around pretty good for an old timer.

I have used Phycox for my last three Labradors with very good success. The first Lab I used it on was having diarrhea issues with rimadyl; She was about 9-1/2 at the time and that wasn't going to work. So I heard about Phycox and tried it. It took about 3 maybe 4 weeks before I saw results, but Sadie was on nothing but Phycox for the rest of her life (12) and was able to hunt on Sundays after a Saturday hunt, able to jump in and out of a boat, come upstairs to sleep with us, etc. It's got more antioxidants than all the others, and they have a 'max' formula now too, which my last two labs were on, including my current one (9-1/2). Cheaper than many of them too when you consider the number of chews per day.

I use Happy Jacks for my 11 year old and she recovers much better and can go longer then she used to. Major difference.

I have an eight-year-old pointer who was pretty stove up last summer. I put him on glucosamine, tumeric, and fish oil and noticed quite a bit of improvement. Rimadyl works for us but when I use it prior to a hunt it seems like the dog is really off his game for the day. I'm using it now when we are finished hunting. (I tried both glucosamine and tumeric or my own aching joints and could not detect any improvement....go figure). I'll look into the Phycox - sounds like a good product.

I started my lab on Glucasomine at age 6 or 7. Day after hunts on multi day trips, he'd wake up sore and limping every morning. Some mornings hardly able to walk at first before loosening up. Shortly after starting it, and now at age 9, he is almost as good as a puppy again. In my opinion, it's added years of quality hunting to his life. I do 2 pills/day but bump it up to 3 during hunting season. For the low price of them, it is certainly worth a shot.

I started my lab on Glucasomine at age 6 or 7. Day after hunts on multi day trips, he'd wake up sore and limping every morning. Some mornings hardly able to walk at first before loosening up. Shortly after starting it, and now at age 9, he is almost as good as a puppy again. In my opinion, it's added years of quality hunting to his life. I do 2 pills/day but bump it up to 3 during hunting season. For the low price of them, it is certainly worth a shot.
What brand are you using? I'm thinking of getting some Cosequin by Nutramax.

I have always used Fosters&Smith with fine results for my dogs on it. PetSmart bought them out ...

They have 3 or 4 grades. I have always used level 2. The only dog that I had issues with was my Britt that had issues maintaining her weight. I think keeping them lean and avoiding running on hard surfaces (asphalt and cement) are pro-active things you can do also.

I would stress make sure that it is made in the US or atleast not China.

Here are the ingredients for Level 2 and their highest level Premium products. They have a variety of forms ... chewables, chewable/crushable pills, etc...

1617365131348.png1617365226012.png

I'm so glad you asked about this! I have an older dog, too, and I've been giving her supplements for her joints for a few years now. I've tried a few different brands and formulas, but the one that seems to work the best for her is called Joint Power Rx. It's a powder that you mix with their food, and it has glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. I also detected a significant improvement after giving these myorelaxants (https://www.pillpal.to/muscle-relaxants-1834), primarily given in humans. I've noticed a big difference in her energy levels and her ability to recover after a long day of hunting or playing.

Last edited:
Back