Steel shot and Fines

Last year in S D we ventured on to waterfowl production areas that require non-toxic shot. I was "told" the fine for possession of lead shells on these areas was $500 per round, but can't find anything anywhere in hunting regulations of G F P website to substantiate this. For all I know it may only be $50, could be $5000.Why wouldn't they print this? We are bringing someone new with us this year and it would be nice to show info like this in written form instead of the "telephone method". Barney Fife barely cut his finger, by the time word got around town, the undertaker was knocking on the courthouse door.

So if I have lead in the truck, and i am hunting Waterfowl Protection Area and only have steel with me in the field, is this ok? Is lead in the truck a problem ?

So if I have lead in the truck, and i am hunting Waterfowl Protection Area and only have steel with me in the field, is this ok? Is lead in the truck a problem ?

Only if you are shooting from the vehicle:D

Not a problem in vehicle. Easy way to stay legal is when you are not on private ground in SD shoot steel and do not possess any lead on your person in the field.

Only if you are shooting from the vehicle:D

Not a problem in vehicle. Easy way to stay legal is when you are not on private ground in SD shoot steel and do not possess any lead on your person in the field.

So the walk in areas or private farms are the only place to shoot lead?

hmmm.... I called SD GFP and thought I had this figured out last year. Now I am wondering again....

I thought I recalled it was just the waterfowl protection areas that are steel only. what other lands require steel?

help me out here. The hunting atlas has like 10 different kinds of land open to hunting ... I'm confused.

So the walk in areas or private farms are the only place to shoot lead?

hmmm.... I called SD GFP and thought I had this figured out last year. Now I am wondering again....

I thought I recalled it was just the waterfowl protection areas that are steel only. what other lands require steel?

help me out here. The hunting atlas has like 10 different kinds of land open to hunting ... I'm confused.

I don't specialize in SD public but if it were me I would only shoot steel on public ground.

steel required on wma's, wpa's....lead ok on walk-in's and school lands, as well as private land, obviously...that's my take...consult game laws to be sure.

This is taken directly from the 2011 Hunting Handbook

Nontoxic Shot
The use of nontoxic shot for small game hunting
is required on most public lands, but not all. GFP
encourages hunters to use nontoxic shot for all
hunting, but it is not required on U.S. Forest Service
National Grasslands, state school lands or on most
GFP-managed and leased property designated as
Walk-In Areas when hunting small game such as
pheasants, grouse, or doves.
•Those hunting ducks, geese, coots,
tundra swan, sandhill cranes, or snipe
may not possess lead shot and must use
a federally approved nontoxic shot
•Approved nontoxic shot includes steel
(iron) shot, bismuth-tin, tungstenpolymer,
tungsten-matrix, tungsten-ironfl
uoropolymer, and any combination of
tungsten-iron-nickel-tin-copper-bismuth
•Coated lead shot does NOT
qualify as nontoxic shot
•Turkeys are classifi ed as big game
and can be hunted with lead shot
Nontoxic shot is required for all shotgun hunting
of small game on the following public lands:
State Game Production Areas, U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers land, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
Wildlife Production Areas managed by GFP,
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Wildlife
Refuges and Waterfowl Production Areas

•In addition, target shooting with shotguns
using lead shot is prohibited on the following
state public lands: State Game Production
Areas, lake and fi shing access areas, public
water access areas, state park system
areas, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Wildlife Production Areas, and U.S. Bureau
of Reclamation lands managed by GFP

Last edited:
Just use steel shot and you won't have to worry about it!

steel shot suck! Steel bounces off the birds when lead crushes them. Those wild birds are tough! More cripples with steel, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I duck hunt a ton and kill plenty birds with Steel. But I'd rather shoot lead when I can.

steel shot suck! Steel bounces off the birds when lead crushes them. Those wild birds are tough! More cripples with steel, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I duck hunt a ton and kill plenty birds with Steel. But I'd rather shoot lead when I can.

I have killed a lot of pheasants over the years with steel shot and I personally have not lost a bird. I have hunted with the same two guys the last 5 years and we have only had 1 lost bird and 1 that was crippled and recovered. I like it so well I have switched to using steel for doves and quail. It also eliminates any questions when hunting public ground. I really don't want to pay a fine for using lead on a non toxic property.

Steel shot is the future, whether we like it or not. There are several alternatives to steel, some just about lead performance wise, all costly. Hopefully, use will cause drop in prices. We might as well get adjusted and quit whining about it. It is going to impact fishing, lead sinkers are banned many places and will be the majority very soon. My objection is to damage steel does to fine old guns, which I hunt with. I guess I am going to buy some plastic stocked, souless steel shot charged, steel expeller. When the barrel is played out, recycle it, buy another cheapy. Keep the burled walnut stocks, case colored guns at home so I can see them and wax nostalgia about days gone by.

Steel (no-tox) shot wil only be the rule on private land in the future if we sit idly by while our duly-elected allow it to happen. Don't be afraid to call or e-mail them to let them know how you feel!

Hunters are the best conservationists. Think like this: 164k hunters shot 1.55 million phez last year in SD. If lead was used in all of these hunts (which was not), we would be dumping 1.93 million pounds of lead minimum on SD every year. This would be if we only shot 1 time(1.55mil x 1.25oz shot). Who wants a thousand pounds of lead in there yard! Lead is toxic only in the state of California? ;)

Save the future and use steel. Lead in the rifle, steel in the scatter.

Now for a bag of popcorn.

PBuster back! :)

Hunters are the best conservationists. Think like this: 164k hunters shot 1.55 million phez last year in SD. If lead was used in all of these hunts (which was not), we would be dumping 1.93 million pounds of lead minimum on SD every year. This would be if we only shot 1 time(1.55mil x 1.25oz shot). Who wants a thousand pounds of lead in there yard! Lead is toxic only in the state of California? ;)

Save the future and use steel. Lead in the rifle, steel in the scatter.

Now for a bag of popcorn.

PBuster back! :)

PBuster, better re-check your calculations. It would be 1.93 million OUNCES of shot, not pounds. Roughly 121,000 pounds. Still alot of lead but if divide it by the number of square miles it's not that significant. But if you figure that for every bird shot it probably took 5 to 10 shots it does add up. I still don't like steel shot but if forced I will use it. Got some 16 ga. Kent Tungsten-Matrix that I use in my Sweet Sixteen on public land.

Vegetation will bury just about any thing out there. If you lay a steel post on the ground and take good notes as to where you left it, come back in 2 years and see if you can find it. Lead shot in my honey hole will be reclaimed about as fast as we deposit it.

PBuster, better re-check your calculations. It would be 1.93 million OUNCES of shot, not pounds. Roughly 121,000 pounds. Still alot of lead but if divide it by the number of square miles it's not that significant. But if you figure that for every bird shot it probably took 5 to 10 shots it does add up. I still don't like steel shot but if forced I will use it. Got some 16 ga. Kent Tungsten-Matrix that I use in my Sweet Sixteen on public land.

Zeb.... who's got the best prices and availability on K-T-M in 16 ga.?

I shoot 20 gauge, have 2 reloaders, 1 for hunting loads, 1 for target loads. Looked online for steel shot reloaders and they only come in 10 and 12 gauge...on the mec line. Does anybody reload steel rounds, and, can anybody tell me why I couldn't use my sizemaster 82 to reload steel? The only thing I can think different is the hardness in steel as opposed to lead sliding in the charge bar.
So nobody knows what the fine is for possessing lead in a non-toxic area in South Dakota?

Thank you Zeb I thought about the math after I left the desktop. Like you said still alot of lead.
Did you get an Elk tag for CO this year sir? Last years bull was a nice one.

Birddog456 asks:confused:

"So nobody knows what the fine is for possessing lead in a non-toxic area in South Dakota?"

I suggest we send COOT out to SD with only lead shot to hunt WMA'S when the CO nails him he can report back on the $$$$ the fine is.:cheers:

Back