South Dakota UPH Wounded Warriors Hunt

The first report from the WW Hunt. I'm sure there will be more reports and a few photos to follow. Unfortunately there was only Uncle Buck, Haymaker and myself who were there. And I was only able to be there on Saturday as I needed to take care of my grandparent duties and attend my grandkids church program. (I'd rather have been hunting!:)) I want to thank Haymaker for his hospitality and for providing some excellent hunting. The three of us got our limit of 9 birds. Birds were holding very well under the snow and allowed for a lot of points by Uncle Buck's Pudelpointers and my Brittany, Elle. I think there was only one bird that was not shot over a point. But Elle made a nice retrieve on a wild flush bird when I knocked it down in a open bean field and it ran to some nearby CRP before I could get her over there. She tracked it quite a distance into the CRP and returned with a live rooster. All in all it was a great time and I sure wish I could have stayed for another day of hunting. Already looking forward to next year.

Last edited:
Good report, George, sorry we couldn't join you for the fun but were stuck in Murdo with "Carptom1" and his friends for a hunt, and to mobilize everyone north would have been difficult.

Perhaps next year we can schedule this again and have more participation.

Merry Christmas,

Jon

Too bad you missed it Jon. We were wondering if you were going to show up.

One interesting note to our hunt. All three of us, Haymaker, Uncle Buck and I, were shooting 16's. Haymaker a Winchester Mod. 12, Buck I believe an Aya SxS and myself my Sweet Sixteen.

Sending you a letter tomorrow. Great news. Wish I could have gone. Ended up working in the rain and smashing my feet with a hunk of steel, so no hunting here for a few days either. Next year yes I too will try harder to make it a plan.:thumbsup:

Haymaker,

If you would send me your mailing info I would like to donate for the two days I was going to hunt. I probably would have shown up, but as of tuesday last week I still had not received a pm or anything telling me where to go or when. I had no computer after 6 am tuesday, and with a 9 hr drive ahead of me I chose to ride with someone instead of going solo. Maybe next year.

Here are the official pics.
My kind of hunt and cover where the dogs pointed hard, 11 of 13 birds shot at were brought to bag with nice retrieves, and the camraderie was top notch. See you next year!
HTML:

Here are the official pics.
My kind of hunt and cover where the dogs pointed hard, 11 of 13 birds shot at were brought to bag with nice retrieves, and the camraderie was top notch. See you next year!
HTML:

opps! hit the send to quick. If it had been a bird my gun would have been unloaded. All birds shot with 16ga 1&1/8 loads. I was using #6 shot and so was Haymaker(who has a beautifal Drathh). Not sure what shot size Zeeb was cycling in the Sweet 16. I was using my Uggie 16.
Notice Flirt Pudelpointer is pointing the birds in both pics as she did through out the photo session lasting at least 5 minutes.

Hey Buck...great photo's. Glad you, George and Dennis had a successful hunt - sorry I couldn't join in the fun, perhaps next year.

Jon and Max

WW Hunt

I want to thank everyone that participated in any way in the Wounded Warrior Hunt. It was a small beginning number wise, but the quality of the participants and their dogs made it a very succesfull event. The weather was good, I enjoy late season hunting. One cool thing is that I mentioned that I was hosting a WW Hunt to some hunters that were hunting here earlier and some of them contributed. So even though we only had three hunters we will end up well over $1000 in contributions. I have learned some things that will probably help for next year. One thing that would help would be if I could have it earlier in the year and get further away from Christmas. However I am booked up for the year as of now. I don't like to hunt later than this unless we get a real mild winter so as of now it will be the 14th and 15th of December 2013. Thanks again to Uncle Buck and Dakota Zeb for being the initial hunters of what I hope will be a succesful tradition.

i don't know if you would be willing to accept a little recognition HM, but my guess is PF would love to turn this into an article for their magazine...:thumbsup:

All birds shot with 16ga 1&1/8 loads. I was using #6 shot and so was Haymaker(who has a beautifal Drathh). Not sure what shot size Zeb was cycling in the Sweet 16. I was using my Uggie 16.

I was shooting B&P 2 5/8" 16's with 1 1/16 oz. of #6 shot out of my Sweet Sixteen with IC choke. I've been very impressed with these loads. When I point the gun in the right place they really cream the birds.

i don't know if you would be willing to accept a little recognition HM, but my guess is PF would love to turn this into an article for their magazine...:thumbsup:

Let me think about that. If the idea would spread it might be OK. The regonition would go to the actual wounded warriors. I will think about that until after New Years, we can talk about it then.

I was shooting B&P 2 5/8" 16's with 1 1/16 oz. of #6 shot out of my Sweet Sixteen with IC choke. I've been very impressed with these loads. When I point the gun in the right place they really cream the birds.

Zeb where do you find those shells? I have a really old Model 12 that I can't use 2 3/4 shells.

I ordered them directly from B&P.
http://www.bandpusa.com/f2-classic-16-ga/

If you buy a case the shipping is free. FYI, a case is 8 boxes, not 10. Or you can order them by the box. They are suppose to work in 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" guns.

Haymaker, if you don't want a whole case I would split one with you as I need some more #6 shot. They will also mix shot sizes in a case if you call them. Last time I ordered some #6, #7 and #8's. I use them in my field trials also.

Haymaker, if you don't want a whole case I would split one with you as I need some more #6 shot. They will also mix shot sizes in a case if you call them. Last time I ordered some #6, #7 and #8's. I use them in my field trials also.

Hi Zeb,
I went on their website and I see that they have 5 shot. I would take half a case of 5 shot if that works for you. No hurry on my part, but whenever you want to order some more that would be fine.

Back