South Dakota UPH Wounded Warriors Hunt

haymaker

I have had an idea for awhile now and I have decided to act on it. What I am suggesting is that I will host a hunt and invite UPH members to participate. It will be much like the pre season hunt done in Minnesota except that it will be late season, it will be wild birds and it will benefit The Wounded Warriors. The details are, I am going to collect $50 per night for the lodging, which I am going to keep for the expenses. I am going to charge $60 dollars per day for hunting which is about half price. That $60 dollars will be donated to The Wounded Warriors. I am not limiting anyone to $60 dollars but that is the minimum. This is a no frills hunt and it will be WILD birds. You can do your own cooking in our stocked kitchen. I will provide some hamburger. We have beds for 12 but the beds are bunk beds so if we get 12 hunters six of them are going to have to be young enough to get to the top bunk. The last hunters that I have booked will be done hunting December 12th. I am assumming that this needs to be done on a weekend but it does not matter to me. The week end of the 8th and 9th will have 2 days rest and the weekend of the 15th and 16th will have 3 days since the last hunters. I am not responsible for the weather. I will not collect any deposits. If the weather gets too tough and the birds are in survival mode I will cancel the hunt and we will try again next year. I am sure that this will create some questions that I have not thought of. Feel free to ask them. There are two options for dogs I have an uninsulated hoop building that can be used, or dogs that are used to warmer conditions can be in the bunkhouse in a kennel. So that is the nuts and bolts of my idea. If any one has suggestions as to how this can be better, I welcome them. I hope this can be a fun time and that we can do some good for those that have done so much for us. I am not picking a date at this time, we will see how much interest there is and when people want to do this.

This is a great idea, but I have questions:

If I choose to stay in a motel in Miller, will you waive the $50 fee? I don't sleep well with 12 people!

How will you coordinate a hunt with 12? Hunt together? Separate farms?

Cooking with 12 people...how does this work? Do you coordinate this - hire a cook?

Looking forward to a follow-up message. Good luck with this idea.

Haymaker, sounds like a grand idea. Not bad for a selfish, greedy, sd landowner:D. I wish I could attend. Unfortunately, I probably can't squeeze another trip in this year. ( my wife can only take so much) I would do for sure next year if I knew in advance. I would also need a lower bunk:mad:.

This is a great idea, but I have questions:

If I choose to stay in a motel in Miller, will you waive the $50 fee? I don't sleep well with 12 people!

How will you coordinate a hunt with 12? Hunt together? Separate farms?

Cooking with 12 people...how does this work? Do you coordinate this - hire a cook?

Looking forward to a follow-up message. Good luck with this idea.

Well first of all I should have explained that the 12 beds are in three rooms so you would only be sleeping with 4, but that could still be an issue. If you don't sleep here I can't hardly charge you. As to hunting with 12, if we actually get 12 we can decide what we want to do, we can split up but the cover is fairly large and 12 usually is an asset. It has been brought to my attention that flushing dogs and pointing dogs could be an issue. We might need to do some splitting along those lines. Most people that come here have some in the group that can cook, or they bring something from home that can be heated when they get here. I bet nobody will get too hungry. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for the immediate response...

You might want to consider providing soup for lunch, unless the fields are too great a distance from home base - a restaurant in Miller might be interested in providing a pot. Everyone can bring their own sandwiches for lunch - eat in the field or at home base. Dinner can be in Miller.

Not sure about breakfast; some take time to eat, others skip this meal. I know the old "Lipps Cafe" had great breakfasts at a reasonable price. I have hunted the Miller area for 20 years and had a designated room at the Super 8 for years! I now stay elsewhere...

Just some thoughts going forward.

Thanks for the immediate response...

You might want to consider providing soup for lunch, unless the fields are too great a distance from home base - a restaurant in Miller might be interested in providing a pot. Everyone can bring their own sandwiches for lunch - eat in the field or at home base. Dinner can be in Miller.

Not sure about breakfast; some take time to eat, others skip this meal. I know the old "Lipps Cafe" had great breakfasts at a reasonable price. I have hunted the Miller area for 20 years and had a designated room at the Super 8 for years! I now stay elsewhere...

Just some thoughts going forward.

Jonny,
I am probably 80 miles from Miller. I am in between Ipswich and Roscoe, 35 miles west of Aberdeen.

haymaker, I'm very interested in doing this. How many days do you plan to hunt? 2?

As for mixing pointing and flushing dogs. I hunt my Brittanys with flushers quite a bit and it never seems to cause a big problem. I usually try to stay to one side of the field and a little away from the flushing dogs.

I'd prefer a bottom bunk but I might still be able to get my 66 year old ass into the top bunk. Problem is getting up the 2 times a night to pee! :)

haymaker, I'm very interested in doing this. How many days do you plan to hunt? 2?

As for mixing pointing and flushing dogs. I hunt my Brittanys with flushers quite a bit and it never seems to cause a big problem. I usually try to stay to one side of the field and a little away from the flushing dogs.

I'd prefer a bottom bunk but I might still be able to get my 66 year old ass into the top bunk. Problem is getting up the 2 times a night to pee! :)

You only get up twice?

I suppose hunting saturday and sunday makes the most sense, but that is up to you guys. It does not matter to me I work every day so weekends are not much different than weekdays. So you folks tell me what you would like.

If I attend, the option of hunting for three or four day's would be appealing vs. only two as you previously described. Would that be possible? It's about a 300 mile hike from Minneapolis...

haymaker, it doesn't matter to me what days you have it. I'm retired and available anytime of the week.

What is the name of this place (lodge) that you are holding it at?

If I attend, the option of hunting for three or four day's would be appealing vs. only two as you previously described. Would that be possible? It's about a 300 mile hike from Minneapolis...

I suspect we can work something out.

Thanks...will consider this trip as the season progresses.

Question: does your site/lodge have a name?

Back