South Dakota Trespass Fee Connections?

I don’t golf—used to—but I could justify paying more to play a great private course vs the muni that I play all the time…as I get older and see that I’m “playing the back nine” what is $ good for? I’m now more willing to pay for convenience, and, experiences…but I really don’t do much other than bird hunt. So good socks at $15 or $17 a pair…ammo that I like, even a bit on the spendy side..my double guns, which don’t see that much use…anyway, I’ve worked with people and their $ for 33 years…not sure what many of them are waiting for, their fear is gonna cause other relatives to inherit their $ and enjoy it! So they ought to!!!!! It’s not my place to judge how you spend your $….if you’re happy, good for you, you’ve got many people beat! 🍺👍🥳

I don’t golf—used to—but I could justify paying more to play a great private course vs the muni that I play all the time…as I get older and see that I’m “playing the back nine” what is $ good for? I’m now more willing to pay for convenience, and, experiences…but I really don’t do much other than bird hunt. So good socks at $15 or $17 a pair…ammo that I like, even a bit on the spendy side..my double guns, which don’t see that much use…anyway, I’ve worked with people and their $ for 33 years…not sure what many of them are waiting for, their fear is gonna cause other relatives to inherit their $ and enjoy it! So they ought to!!!!! It’s not my place to judge how you spend your $….if you’re happy, good for you, you’ve got many people beat! 🍺👍🥳
That's well put. Personal friend of mine, no kids. 84 years old. Very wealthy. So tight he squeaked when he walked. Owned 2000 acers. Never vacationed. Never even bought a new truck. Died in a fire last week. I wonder if he was any happier than some who spent most of their money enjoying themselves.

That's well put. Personal friend of mine, no kids. 84 years old. Very wealthy. So tight he squeaked when he walked. Owned 2000 acers. Never vacationed. Never even bought a new truck. Died in a fire last week. I wonder if he was any happier than some who spent most of their money enjoying themselves.
Sorry to hear. It’s a mindset for many, they were raised that way. Some had to live like that out of necessity. But there’s a point where it’s basically mental illness, but I’m probably viewed that way by many for how I live. ☮️🍺🥳

Life may have been about minimizing fear vs maximizing happiness…🧐

I have a close relative that is exactly the same. High paying job, modest paid for home, drives old cars that are rust buckets. Has a classic car in his garage he won’t spend the money to fix. Can’t get him to go on a nice vacation for nothing. I feel life is about balance. I have a decent house and a few acres. Nothing fancy but it is paid for. Got all three kids through college. Have a few bucks put away for retirement ( not enough) but my job is easy and I will do it in some form until they tell me to stop. But we live and enjoy life as much as we can. Making and saving money is great, but to some it becomes a paralyzing event. I know him and his wife are worth many times what we are, but honestly if that is the way I have to live you can have it.

Life may have been about minimizing fear vs maximizing happiness…🧐
Probably true. I've spent the last 30 years skrimping ,saving and investing. My main worry was losing everything to the nursing home. Those habits are hard to break. I've also figured out that Happiness does not mean acquiring stuff. Acquiring stuff is a kind of pleasure you get from the hunt for the stuff (guns, boats, etc.) Happiness is a kind of contentment you have when sitting on the porch without worries. But after this thread, I now have something to worry about. Please lord don't let me stoop so low as to drink, Hamms, P.B.R. or skunk piss :)

Good analogy. Hadn't compared it to golf.. although pheasant hunting is a lot better golf, we can probably all agree on that.

Everyone has to decide for themselves about their tolerance for risk....an older farm client once gave me some good advice (for me, anyway): "Always have enough cash that you can bull your way through". This guy, in 1980, had an old 4% fixed interest Federal Land Bank loan that he'd had since 1958. And, with Prime at 18% and rising, he was in no hurry to pay it off. He had grown up in hard times, as a young married, living with his young family in a converted chicken house. When I knew him he could afford the nicest house in the community but his early days had left an indelible stamp on his thinking. At all costs, he was prepared to expunge the detested sin of once being poor. I understand completely. There are some real hard-ass people out there who take life very seriously.

A lot of these places are word of mouth, they are the bottom of the barrel for pay hunting so it can be good or you can feel ripped off, I think they would be better than public but I’ve never freelanced public lands in SD. Hopefully you got some messages about places to consider.

I’ve had luck just getting out and talking with people in the area. One spot I have was from a lead from an Implement Dealer. I have another spot from a mechanic changing the oil in my truck. If you’re in a service organization at home (Kiwanis, VFW, Elks), look those organizations up in the area you want to hunt. If you go to a church, say Baptist or Lutheran (I’m Nazarene), stop and talk to someone on staff at the church in the area. The possibilities really are endless. I haven’t knocked on a door for 20 years without having some kind of a lead.
I lived in Oregon for several years and the best place I had was a ranch I had all to myself just for changing a flat tire for an older woman. The woman ask me where I lived and what I was doing in the area and I said I was bird hunting. She took me to the family ranch, introduced me to her son’s, and told them he can bird hunt anytime he wants. That contact led to the best place I ever elk hunted.
You never really know when and where that door will open. Good luck.

Well heck. For nostalgic reasons I just had a Hamm's beer Thursday night at Ole's Big Game Bar and Steakhouse in Paxton, NE
Thursday night after hunting. It went down just fine, along with the ground bison steak.
Tom

Well heck. For nostalgic reasonFrom s I just had a Hamm's beer Thursday night at Ole's Big Game Bar and Steakhouse in Paxton, NE
Thursday night after hunting. It went down just fine, along with the ground bison steak.
Tom. From the land of sky blue water.

Back