South Dakota Trespass Fee Connections?

krbogert

Not sure how this will be received as I read the "pay to play rates in SD" thread and all the drama to go with it.

I just got back from busting it on public land with some buddies for 5 days. We had a blast, the dogs worked hard, and we ended up with a few roosters. All in all it was a great trip and a lot of fun was had. But after driving around and seeing loads of birds on private pieces it definitely sparked a new discussion of just paying to hunt some private for a day or two mixed in or more depending on the outcome. I don't like the idea of "wild" (released) birds and big lodges. Just want to get a hotel room and hunt where there is a little less pressure. Trespass fee situation seems like a win-win for me and the landowner..

How does everyone go about finding these connections? Door knocking?
How do you know if you do pay decent money that they actually have good habitat and at least decent bird numbers? Trial and error?
Any other tips or tricks that have worked for people?

If there is anyone out there that is willing and has a connection that charges a fair price, feel free to PM me.

Don't need any drama, just asking.

Door knocking?
I don't do it in SD, but this is how I have done it every year in MN for almost 25 years. Get in your truck and start driving. When you see a good piece of land, find the owner and ask permission. In SD you will be paying cash. In MN, paying to hunt isn't a thing (yet). Hope it stays that way too.

I am a big fan of saying thanks with things that come from my home area
Yep, I always offer a pack of cleaned and vacuum sealed pheasants, venison, or fish. Most of the time they decline it, but sometimes a landowner will accept it. And then you can come back the following year, ask again, and likely gain permission. Its taken me 25 years to accumulate some good spots.

That's a great idea, bring something along to say thanks.

So mostly door knocking? Sounds like I might need to make a trip over not during hunting season.

I met a farmer Nov ‘94….he said go ahead and hunt, he’d be in Texas. I went out the next April with gifts…he went through his tax return while we stood on his ground in the sun ☀️

I don't do it in SD, but this is how I have done it every year in MN for almost 25 years. Get in your truck and start driving. When you see a good piece of land, find the owner and ask permission. In SD you will be paying cash. In MN, paying to hunt isn't a thing (yet). Hope it stays that way too.
Do not pay these guys. That's all.

I used to work for a cat dealership, so I always bought a bunch of cat hats or toboggin's. Sometimes when we would find the landowner, he would have the hat on. They might not remember my name but would always remember the guy with the cat hats. After some 20 years going to the same little town in Iowa, Half the guys you would see in the diners would have one of my hats on. Also, if we really liked someone, we would take them out to eat before we left. Some guys we met were instant friends. Some we still keep in touch with, even though they haven't seen a pheasant in years.

Hamms beer costs money, that is paying. Now that we have established that you are a pay to play guy the subject switches from don't pay to don't pay much.
Just like asking the old gal about….. somewhere between free and a million bucks. We know he will do it we just have figure out how much.

Back