South Dakota Field Crops Report

Corn, this is my understanding 30 to 33% moisture level, want down to 15. Using dryers to dry corn cost big bucks, and with current price levels not likely to harvest until at least down to 20% moisture. Corn this time of the year with "right" conditions will dry 1/2% a day. So to be the one of bad news, would expect corn to start coming off at major levels not until Nov.......10th :(. My plans have changed to 1st week of hunting to start around the 18th of Nov.

I could be completely wrong....

Yes, we want the farmers to have a good bean harvest. But bean harvest doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference to a pheasant hunter when 100% of the corn is still standing.

Bean harvest makes a huge difference to pheasant hunters. Beans get harvested first so they have to get out before most guys will start on corn. Even if the corn was out and the beans were still in the birds would just go to the bean field to eat. Yes, pheasants will eat beans if other food sources are gone. Shot plenty of them that were full of beans.

combines rolling

On the way back from the J Bar Ranch I saw a combine harvesting on Sunday night.

On Monday morning my operator harvested last field of beans at my place.

Roads we not safe with all grain carts and farm equipment running around.

Should continue until more rain hits.

I hear it is not same story north and hunters should definitely bring 4 wheel drives with them to get around.

4/18 Report

From last week.......4% increase in corn harvested, 5% increase in soybeans harvested, and 4% increase in sorghum harvested.

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Corn rated mature is at 91 percent, equal to last year but
behind the five-year average of 96 percent. Six percent of
corn has been harvested for grain, compared to 14 percent last
year and 27 percent for the five-year average. Ninety-five
percent of the soybean crop is rated mature, compared to 98
percent in 2008 and 99 percent for the five-year average.
Thirty percent of the soybean crop has been harvested,
compared to 73 percent last year and 77 percent for the fiveyear
average. Eighty-nine percent of the winter wheat seeding
is complete, compared to 93 percent in 2008 and 96 percent
for the five-year average. Eighty-six percent of the sunflowers
are rated mature, compared to 73 percent last year and 84
percent for the five-year average. Three percent of the
sunflower crop has been harvested, compared to 9 percent last
year and 26 percent for the five-year average.

FYI, the detail hunting and crop conditions report has been moved to the UGUIDE website and can be found at this location:

Chris how are the rest of us suppose to make cleaver comments and complain about the harvest report if you do not post it here.

The weekly South Dakota crop report from the US Separt. of Ag was in this morning's paper. The reports says 40% of the soybean crop has been harvested. The 5 year average is 88%. Corn harvest is 9% complete, the 5 year average is 38%. So you can see we are way behind and the weather conditions this week won't help much.

Thanks for the info DZ. We are heading out regardless, so we'll make the most of it. Sure beats a day in the office.

3 good days in row! Farmers pushing hard to harvest the beans. Beans about 14.5% moisture. Some high moisture corn coming out for the ethanol plants. Rain starting about 7:30 pm tonight shutting harvest down. The forecast seems to have a good 30 day window coming up.

Pretty nice stretch of weather finally and I know locals are going to town on beans and will probably make the most headway on corn this week than any other week. Once major share of beans get done then the corn will really start coming out. Of course a little rain here and there will really slow things up again.

Any other locals got reports or hunters that have just come back this week?

Reports say

They are combining like crazy today/tonight. It was 86 above in southern South Dakota today. That along with the wind should have done some serous drying. That's great news for both farmers and Pheasant hunters.

Good luck to all those SoDak's headed for the deer stand n the morning

onpoint

ONpoint, thanks for the report. That is VERY encouraging! What was very discouraging was my farmer telling me it would cost me $7,500 in drying costs to strip out 120 acres of corn. That ain't happening! :mad:

I thought gun season opens in 2 weeks? Are there spots opening this weekend? Oh yeah, maybe west river and such, hills too maybe? MN opens this weekend but glad I am not going as it will be warm.

I do believe it is west river deer season. East river is in a couple of weeks.

$7,500 in drying cost? OUCH!

I know the corn I checked a week ago. I could dig my finger nail into it. Very soft and moist...Not good.

Pray for sun and wind

$7,500 in drying cost? OUCH!

Well another guy told me he dried corn from 28 down to 15% for .30 cents a bushel. Lets do some math on that. So 120 acres and take out 10 rows and leave 100 that means 10% out and assume 200 bushel corn so 12 acres times 200 bushels/acre = 2400 bushels times .30 cents/bushel and that is.......$720 in drying costs. What the heck!>?:confused:

Time for a new renter!

Maybe he is using the wife's hair dryer..that could get expensive:nutz: LOL

I would have to roll the dice and hope old father sun and mother nature would help dry the corn.

onpont

Back