UGUIDE

As of 9/13

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Ninety-three percent of the corn is in or beyond the dough
stage, compared to 97 percent last year and 98 percent for the
five-year average. Fifty-seven percent of corn is in the dent
stage, behind last yearâ??s 78 percent and five-year average of
83 percent. Corn in the mature stage is at 5 percent, compared
to 6 percent last year and 20 percent for the five-year average.
Corn harvested for silage is at 17 percent compared to last
yearâ??s 30 percent and five-year average of 47 percent.
Soybeans dropping leaves are 45 percent, compared to last
years 41 percent and five-year average of 51 percent. Two
percent of the soybean crop is rated mature, with the five-year
average at 8 percent.

Couple guys are starting to take out beans in Northwest Iowa. This week they will probably be starting in SE SD

For Week ending 9/20

UGUIDE Summary = this years crops progression is behiud last years, and last years was behind the 5 year average. Here's the detail.....

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Ninety-eight percent of the corn is in or beyond the dough
stage, compared to 100 percent last year and 99 percent for the
five-year average. Seventy-three percent of corn is in the dent
stage, behind last yearâ??s and the five-year average of 93. Corn
in the mature stage is at 11 percent, compared to 22 percent
last year and 39 percent for the five-year average. Corn
harvested for silage is at 38 percent compared to last yearâ??s 56
percent and five-year average of 66 percent. Soybeans
dropping leaves are 71 percent, compared to last years 69
percent and five-year average of 74 percent. Eleven percent of
the soybean crop is rated mature, compared to 16 percent last
year and 23 percent for the five-year average. Fifty percent of
the winter wheat seeding is complete, compared to 37 percent
last year and 45 percent for the five-year average.

From the reports sounds like those hunting opening weekend will find alot of corn and will need to hunt if big groups. That is not my style. I pefer 2-4 guys and a bunch of dogs. I'll be out in God's Country the end of Oct and cooking Turkey dinner there also. :cheers:

I've "postponed" my opener until the second week of nov. I bet there's going to still be enough corn up even at that time. This is the first time in 21 years that I've missed the actual opener and 40+ years for my dad.
Hunting standing corn is not my idea of fun with a pointer...

I have been hunting the week before Thansgiving for 4 years now because of all the crops in the early season. The weather has been cooler and less pressure. The deer gun season is in at that time.

As of 9/27

Soybeans are being combined at my place today. Have seen some other beans coming out so that is just getting underway. Crops have come a long way in last two weeks. Frost warning tonight across state so that should help but 70% chance of rain in forecast for later in the week so that will slow things down again if we get the rain.

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Eighty-nine percent of the corn is in or beyond the dent stage,
compared to last year and the five-year average at 98 percent.
Corn rated mature is at 34 percent, compared to 41 percent last
year and 59 percent for the five-year average. Corn harvested
for silage is at 52 percent compared to last yearâ??s 74 percent
and five-year average of 80 percent. Eighty-six percent of the
soybeans are dropping leaves, compared to last years 89
percent and five-year average of 90 percent. Twenty-six
percent of the soybean crop is rated mature, compared to 43
percent last year and 49 percent for the five-year average.
Two percent of the soybean crop has been harvested,
compared to last year and the five-year average at 9 percent.
Sixty-six percent of the winter wheat seeding is complete,
compared to 58 percent last year and 64 percent for the fiveyear
average.

Yep Soybeans coming out in NW Iowa and SE South Dakota at a pretty good pace starting this week. Corn is going to need some good dry down weather or it is going to be a slow harvest it looks like.

Wow, are we in a rainy pattern or what? Harvest has to be late. Last year was unusual and this year is looking worse. Can any farm boys out their give me an average date (i.e. Nov 17 or whatever) when corn standing in the field is as dry as it is going to get, and it is no longer advantageous to leave it unharvested.

Wow, are we in a rainy pattern or what? Harvest has to be late. Last year was unusual and this year is looking worse. Can any farm boys out their give me an average date (i.e. Nov 17 or whatever) when corn standing in the field is as dry as it is going to get, and it is no longer advantageous to leave it unharvested.

How about 15 percent moisture and DEc . 15th Harvest.....or....just harvest it in the spring...

She is at a halt and could be a week before they try to get anymore beans out. STARTS RAINING AGAIN SUNDAY!!!

Buck, it is not looking good right now. Been drizzle raining for almost 24 hours. I see what you mean by rain in forecast for early part of next week. I hope the ground does not get too saturated because that will delay access even if beans are ready. My operator has been combining beans and planting winter wheat.

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Eighty-nine percent of the corn is in or beyond the dent stage,
compared to last year and the five-year average at 98 percent.
Corn rated mature is at 34 percent, compared to 41 percent last
year and 59 percent for the five-year average. Corn harvested
for silage is at 52 percent compared to last yearâ??s 74 percent
and five-year average of 80 percent. Eighty-six percent of the
soybeans are dropping leaves, compared to last years 89
percent and five-year average of 90 percent. Twenty-six
percent of the soybean crop is rated mature, compared to 43
percent last year and 49 percent for the five-year average.
Two percent of the soybean crop has been harvested,
compared to last year and the five-year average at 9 percent.
Sixty-six percent of the winter wheat seeding is complete,
compared to 58 percent last year and 64 percent for the fiveyear
average.

Uguide is there anyway you could put this in english for a mentally challenge people like me. you are saying the fied are only saying that the corn is only 59% ready ?? :confused:

Uguide is there anyway you could put this in english for a mentally challenge people like me. you are saying the fied are only saying that the corn is only 59% ready ?? :confused:

From the report it appears the corn is about two weeks behind last year's maturity rate. This is probably due to the abnormally cool summer and in some areas late planting due to wet conditions in the spring. In addition the corn crop looks like it will have one of the best, if not the best, yield in years.

What does this all mean.

1. Silage cutting is about two weeks late and farmers are cutting less acres because of the good tonnage yield on what they are cutting and because the dairy demand for silage is less due to the low price of milk.

2. Some farmers harvest high-moisture corn (called Earlage) for feed. Again this is behind last year and will probably begin in a week or so. Moisture levels for corn as of today is about 30%. Earlage begins at about 25% moisture. Full dry down of corn is about 15%. Because of the high yield this year, farmers will probably not harvest as many acres of high moisture corn as in the past.

3. Depending on the weather, harvest of corn may not get going in most areas until about the end of October or beginning of Nov. Farmers must weigh the options of waiting for corn to dry in the field or harvest it wet and pay for drying in a corn dryer or taking discount at the elevator. You may even see a few farmers leave the corn in the field all winter and harvest it in the spring.

4. Finally, nice warm temperatures and a little wind will help dry the corn more quickly while wet and cool weather slows down the process. We are only days away from pheasant season so its likely that the only corn harvest we will see during the first weekend of pheasant season is some silage and earlage activity.

LM

It seems to be the trend [up here anyway] To let the weather dry down corn as much as possible. To save on propane. With the modern equipment farmers get the corn out fast once they start. So they can wait until later in the Fall or even early Winter. An with a lot of wet weather they may wait until Spring.
Standing corn is the best Winter pheasant habitat.:D

Just drove acrossed SD on my why back from a goat hunt. Lots and Lots of corn and beans in the field. Most of the corn still has a green tint to it.

"Corn rated mature is at 34 percent, compared to 41 percent last
year and 59 percent for the five-year average."

Mr. Hyde, you got it backwards. On average we would be at 59% ready to harvest. Last year was 41 percent (so behind the average) and this year is 34 percent (way behind the average.)

I just tested my corn moisture and it was at 30%. To combine it needs to be at 25%. Anything above 17-18% you will pay dock fees at elevator or fees for drying it down. Hence, it will remain on the stalk until it pays to harvest.

10-4 Report

Summary = We went from 34% mature to 57% mature. However, we were at 71% this time last year and 78% on the 5 year average. Soybeans are only 58% mature compared to 78% both last year and 5 year average.

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Ninety-five percent of the corn is in or beyond the dent stage.
Corn rated mature is at 57 percent, compared to 71 percent last
year and 78 percent for the five-year average. Only 2 percent
of corn was harvested for grain, compared to 5 percent last
year. Ninety-six percent of the soybeans are dropping leaves,
compared to last years 97 percent and five-year average of 98
percent. Fifty-eight percent of the soybean crop is rated
mature, compared to 78 percent for both last year and the fiveyear
average. Sixteen percent of the soybean crop has been
harvested, compared to 37 percent last year and 30 percent for
the five-year average. Seventy-eight percent of the winter
wheat seeding is complete, compared to 79 percent for the
five-year average.