South Dakota Field Crops Report

corn stripped

Well we tested 17%-22% on East farm and he stripped that out and was also over here on West farm which tested 25% wet. I think he just took out end rows here.

Big hunt Sat. so will see how it improves situation.

Situation East of Mobridge

For what its worth talked to a farmer yesterday for permission to hunt.He had 2 sections in corn. I asked him about the corn harvest.He said right now he's at 29% and needed to be below 20% moisture to harvest.
Also the sunflower harvest in going full tilt ahead with combines rolling into dark!
RR

I would consider beans mostly done in SD and now hitting corn and sorghum hard. More sofghum coming out that corn cuz not as wet and some growers have own drying equipment. The problem now east river is the dryer and storage bottleneck due to bumper crops and corn mostly still above 20%.

They can't combine it if they have no where to take it. If they pile it or put it in air dry bins that moist it will heat up and get ruined. Now at mercy of mother nature and/or mechanical drying resources.

Some corn is surely coming out though. Went from 18 to 27% harvested last week.

Hunted around Yankton this week. Combines working, but still a lot of corn in the fields. Birds seemed to be down some from past 5 or 6 years, but may be due to all corn still standing. Didn't see any grouse.

Just got back from Rockham area. Our guy had most his corn off birds were everywhere. We shot 55 in 4 days and we did not shoot well. Total was 55 birds and 13 jack rabbits.

Rockham pics
IMG_0377.jpg

Are the combines still making progress? I haven't had a chance to check the weather for the Huron area lately. Plan to be in the area on 12-4-09. Anyone have an estimate on the percentage of corn harvested in the Huron/Lake Thomson area?

Are the combines still making progress? I haven't had a chance to check the weather for the Huron area lately. Plan to be in the area on 12-4-09. Anyone have an estimate on the percentage of corn harvested in the Huron/Lake Thomson area?

I think it was last Sundays paper that said corn harvest is at 40% compared to 91% last year. Drove through the Brookings area yesterday and I would say say that 50% is out. Hope that helps.

Harehound,
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time. Congrats.:10sign:

Rod​

mollermd,

Thanks for the info!! Corn in or out is still better than what we are faced with here in northwest Missouri. I'm heading north on Friday and I can't wait. Good luck the rest of the season.

The 10 day forecast for most of state (SD) looks sunny and dry but with that said the bottleneck still appears to be in long lines at the elevator and drying capacity/throughput. With drying degree days dimished due to cold weather this could slow down harvest again. 7 degree lows are forecast at end of 10 day cycle and that could help.

Thanks for the update Chris. Is there a website to check overall progress by county. It seems to me I used one last Fall but cant seem to find it now.
Im looking for Day County/Waubay-Webster area.
The forecast crtainly does look favorable to get the corn out. I was hoping for snow and frozen marshes later this week. Looks like Im not getting it

Thanks for the update Chris. Is there a website to check overall progress by county. It seems to me I used one last Fall but cant seem to find it now.
Im looking for Day County/Waubay-Webster area.
The forecast crtainly does look favorable to get the corn out. I was hoping for snow and frozen marshes later this week. Looks like Im not getting it
Just got back yesterday from hunting the Webster area. Alot of corn still standing Some areas almost picked drive 5 minutes and almost none picked. Guy we stayed with said he'd never seen that many hunters beyond the opener. Birds were few and far between cept about the last 30 minutes-1 hour when they left the corn for roost. Then they were extremely jumpy. A nervous bird would get up at 100 yards then they'd all fly.We still got decent amount of birds and had some good dog work so overall it was still a blast but if numbers are you main goal you might be disappointed. Everybody we talked to was having trouble too.

Corn goes to 58% harvested

Big gain in harvest made last week. With 10 day forecast being dry, corn harvest could finish in 2-3 weeks. Best hunting of the season could be last 3 weeks.

Another interesting tidbit after reviewing the national numbers is South Dakota ranks #2 in worst corn harvest progress. North Dakota is worst at 40% and WI is 3rd at 67% harvested.

More details here
http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/ne...easant-hunting-field-crops-conditions-report/

Last edited:
Is there really that much water still standing in Day County-Waubay area? Im reading on other boards to literally just stay away from the entire NE corner of the state despite what the DNR says about corn harvest etc. Seems there's those that say the harvest numbers are artificially inflated to get non residents to still make the trip.
Ugg - Im leaving tomorrow regardless but geez I get the feeling I should be piloting an ark not a truck.

Is there really that much water still standing in Day County-Waubay area? Im reading on other boards to literally just stay away from the entire NE corner of the state despite what the DNR says about corn harvest etc. Seems there's those that say the harvest numbers are artificially inflated to get non residents to still make the trip.
Ugg - Im leaving tomorrow regardless but geez I get the feeling I should be piloting an ark not a truck.

You might want to pack some chest waders. I have heard of others using them to try and get where birds are in that area. Please give us a report when you get back. Best of luck.

The Glacial area is very wet as far SW AS Clark. They will not get much corn out up in the north east until it freezes hard, which could be the next week or two per the weather report.
________
Herb scales

Last edited:

Just got back from the Webster area. Just like has been said on this post already, a lot of corn standing and a lot of water. Hunting solo and saw a decent number of birds in shooting range. Put it this way, it was not my dogs fault we did not get our limit each day. First time in the Webster area and I enjoyed a great trip, hope you do too.

Back