South Dakota Field Crops Report

They key numbers are 2% of corn harvested and 16% beans harvested. The real fun hater here is that very little is getting done this week (at least down south). We will be lucky to get back in next week from the looks of it.

They key numbers are 2% of corn harvested and 16% beans harvested. The real fun hater here is that very little is getting done this week (at least down south). We will be lucky to get back in next week from the looks of it.

Good point moellermd. I think the 2 and 16 numbers could beclose to what is the scenario for opener (or close to it). Not ideal but that's real world farming.

The other question is how much does it matter. For me hunting waterways and sloughs it makes a big difference. (Plus I feel obligated to help with harvest) But what about guys hunting big chunks of CRP? I am assuming that is what most guys do. Thoughts???

The other question is how much does it matter. For me hunting waterways and sloughs it makes a big difference. (Plus I feel obligated to help with harvest) But what about guys hunting big chunks of CRP? I am assuming that is what most guys do. Thoughts???

At my place where there will be standing corn most likely I will tell the guys to pound the sorghum food plots and hit the CRP the last hour of the day. Even with a ton of standing corn in last year we found most birds had sorghum in their crops. Once shooting hours go to 10am start I would say spend first hour of day in CRP near food when they are still transitioning off the roost. Once the corn is stripped then you will find birds anywhere in corn or food plots but still save CRP for first/last hour of day.

will the corn be cut

I am headed to astoria sd on november 7-14 will the corn be cut or will we have to hunt standing corn it is a long way from ga.

I am headed to astoria sd on november 7-14 will the corn be cut or will we have to hunt standing corn it is a long way from ga.

Talked to by brother in-law who farms by Watertown. He said no one has started on beans yet and they have had lots of rain. Maybe by next week they will get started. I am bettin you will see lots of corn in around Astoria. Will keep you posted.

We farm and guide just south of Aberdeen SD and many have not even started beans yet. Moisture tested some of our early corn today at 33%. So it will be a long time before the crops get in. Lots of birds in the area with lots of places to hide.

Executive Summary (hehehe) Corn harvest at 2% (no change from last week), Soybean harvest at 25% (9% change from last week). Farmers will go to town on soybeans this weekend. West River is even behind on sorghum and sunflowers.

FIELD CROPS REPORT
Corn rated mature is at 84 percent, compared to 82 percent last
year and 91 percent for the five-year average. Two percent of
corn has been harvested for grain, compared to 10 percent last
year and 19 percent for the five-year average. Ninety-three
percent of the soybean crop is rated mature, compared to 93
percent in 2008 and 94 percent for the five-year average.
Twenty-five percent of the soybean crop has been harvested,
compared to 54 percent last year and 56 percent for the fiveyear
average. Eighty-seven percent of the winter wheat
seeding is complete, compared to 88 percent in 2008 and 91
percent for the five-year average. Seventy-two percent of the
sunflowers are rated mature, compared to 53 percent last year
and 69 percent for the five-year average. Seventy-two percent
of sunflower crop is rated mature, compared to 53 percent last
year. Two percent of the sunflower crop has been harvested,
compared to 4 percent last year and 14 percent for the fiveyear
average.

"Farmers will go to town on beans this weekend." UGUIDE I sure hope your right, but I am just not seeing it when I look at the ten day forecast.

Us late season hunters are going to benefit. My first week will either be in 2 weeks or mid November. Feeling good about my chances.

West Central MN the harvest has been haulted the last 10 days, no corn is gone and very few beans. We need 3-4 days of sunshine.

Yes, the forecast for Lake Andes looks great for pheasant hunting, but the subject of this thread and what most of the readers are trying to follow is the progress of the harvest statewide. I don't want to commit climatology, but in general we get clearing west to east, so you are right, location will play a role in when and where the beans are ready, but as you also know, readers may not, soybeans unlike corn will take on moisture when it rains and snows. I factored these infinite number of variables into a differential equation calculating that a lot of beans would be 14% moisture or greater and therefore not ready to harvest. Praying for sun and wind.

Yes, the forecast for Lake Andes looks great for pheasant hunting, but the subject of this thread and what most of the readers are trying to follow is the progress of the harvest statewide. I don't want to commit climatology, but in general we get clearing west to east, so you are right, location will play a role in when and where the beans are ready, but as you also know, readers may not, soybeans unlike corn will take on moisture when it rains and snows. I factored these infinite number of variables into a differential equation calculating that a lot of beans would be 14% moisture or greater and therefore not ready to harvest. Praying for sun and wind.

While I am not the eternal pessimist niceshot is, I would have to agree somewhat. The weekend for most of the state looks OK but starting Tues the rain starts again. If it does not rain on Fri we might be able to combine some beans on Sat. It will take a good drying day to get the beans fit again. So we should get in a couple days, but the rest of the week will be up in the air. Only next weeks crop report will bear the truth.

I can't argue with the logic. Bigger issue might be the saturated ground. I dorve from Mpls to Lake Andes today and not a combined rolling but wipers on pretty much whole way. MN had better progress on beans than SD.

4-5 days of sun might get some beans out is all I'm saying. The rest is a crap shoot. I haven't seen anything like it in 8-9 years here.

The sun will come up tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar on tomorrow. moellermd, walking around the house singing the theme from Annie just for you.

Yes, we want the farmers to have a good bean harvest. But bean harvest doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference to a pheasant hunter when 100% of the corn is still standing.

Back