Social Groups

The_Edouard

I think that it is cool that we have the opportunity to set up and or join different groups on here, for instance I joined the Brittany club (even though I wasnt asked hope thats ok). Would it be possible to make a message board within that group so that you do not need to send out pm's to everyone?

I agree I think a springer group would be great so we could ask each other about breed specific issues without cluttering up the board.

Zeb you are already a member of the Brittany group "club". For others if you go to your profile there is a box that says group memberships and click on the join social groups link you can join or create a new one. There are currently only two of them a Brittany club and a Pointer Club. Since Britts are the best dog ever they have 5x the members so far:) People join the group but then do nothing else with it thats why I suggested a message board in those areas, just a thought.

I agree Ed, I can see where just Brittany talk would be nice. But speaking as a Mod. I would hate to see the posting restricted to just a few. I think others will agree, it is best to get even the Non-Brittany owners in the conservation. Pointing breeds do have a lot in common..........Bob

:eek:Dammit do I have to buy a Britt now. I thought you guy's had a secret club going on for eons. You mean to tell me you set it up and kept us outsiders on the flushing side out, and have not even used it?:laugh: Oh, fatal miss use of pointer power right there, LOL.

FC, what a Brittany? The breeder in Colorado I got Elle from just bred her sire and dam again. My buddy in Pueblo gets first pick of the litter. They will be some good dogs. Or anyone esle on this site looking for a top quality bred Brittany, let me know and I'll get you the info.

Ken, One thing to be said for us Brittany lovers. At least we have a club.........Bob

Ken, One thing to be said for us Brittany lovers. At least we have a club.........Bob

Bob, one thing about springer lovers is we were gracious enough to let you borrow from our breed their stunning good looks and willingness to retrieve.:D

QH, if you say so but I don't buy it. An English breed and a French breed?

Just having a little fun Bob.:thumbsup: I know our chosen breeds were refined in different countries but I believe the original "espagnol" dogs all originated from Spain.

Everyone knows that labs are the best looking dogs! What good is a dog if he can hunt, but he ain't the purtiest thang in the field!!! Just doing a little crowing for my group, since I don't see any of my fellow labrador reps on this thread yet + you Brittany boys seem to be hoggin it all up! :D :p ;) :cheers:

HHR, I'll just ignore your comments for now. QH, The Brittany has been in France for Hundreds of years. Yes hundreds. They were used by the peasants to poach game from the Rich barons etc. They are about the only working dog that can be traced back that far in history. They have a great history you should read it sometime..........Bob

Bob, while I was in the market for my first gun dog I extensively researched may breeds including brittanies before committing to a springer. Here is a quote from wikapedia on the origins of brittanies. I couldn't figure out how to copy an paste text from my phone so I did it long hand, this is not a paraphrase from me, this is a direct quote.

"The first written and verifiable record of brittanies comes from a hunting description by reverend Davies in 1850. Davies described hunting with small "bobtailed" dogs who were pointed and were excellent retrievers. It was around this time that the modern Brittany is rumored to have been bred mating 2 types of English sporting dogs."

This may be debatable, but I think we all see the spaniels influence in brittanies. I mean come on who taught them to retrieve? Obviously not a pointer or setter.:D

This is a direct quote from the AKC. It does appear that Brittanys go back centuries but the first verifiable written record of the Brittany is 1850.

The Brittany was named for the French province in which it originated as early as AD 150. While it is generally concluded that the basic stock for all bird dogs is the same, most of the actual facts concerning the development and spread of various breeds is lost to us, and early written records are unclear and confusing. However, it seems likely the dogs of Brittany and Wales had the same progenitors and developed along similar paths, quite possibly interbreeding since the lands are close and conducted much commerce. Good evidence for this supposition lies in the inherent resemblance existing between the Brittany and the Welsh Springer Spaniel.

The first accurate records to pinpoint the actual Brittany-type dog are the paintings and tapestries of the 17th century, in which the Brittany appears fairly frequently, such as those of Oudry and Steen. The dogs pictured in these renderings are similar to the dogs that developed along the Atlantic coast into the Wachtelhund, a modern breed much like the Brittany in appearance and ability. Legend has it that the first tailless ancestor of the modern Brittany was bred about the mid-1800's at Pontou, a small town in Brittany province. In 1850, the first verifiable written record of the Brittany surfaced with the writing of Reverend Davies, who described hunting with a small bobtailed dogs not as smooth coated as the Pointer, that worked well in the brush, who pointed, retrieved well, and that were particularly popular with poachers (the profession requiring easily handled dogs).

It was speculated that matings of the native spaniels of Brittany were made around 1900 with English pointing dogs whose owners vacationed in France for sporting purposes, intensifying the Brittany's natural sporting ability. The Brittanys became a recognized breed in 1907, when "Boy," an orange-and-white, was registered as the first Brittany Spaniel in France (they had previously been registered under the heading of miscellaneous French Spaniels). The first standard was outlined in 1907, and the breed was introduced to the US in 1931, receiving approval from the AKC in 1934. To this day the Brittany is recognized as both a superb shooting dog and show dog, in addition to being a wonderful house dog and companion.

Thank you George, That is what I was talking about. I do find this interesting, that a fine discussion like this can be done socially. I think we should try to do more of this.

QH I hope you find what Zeb has posted interesting for that is the one I read long ago.......Bob

Very good read, thank-you Dz. One thing I think we can all agree on is that both spaniels and brittanies are beautiful gun dogs very worthy of Americas diverse uplands.:thumbsup:

QH, yes, I can agree they are all great dogs. When I look at a Springer and compare it to a liver and white Brit. I think the only thing that is different is a Springer's ears are bigger. Do you agree?.........Bob

Back