Snakes in South Dakota during pheasant season

onpoint

This is a pic from near Vivian South Dakota at a relatives place. They gathered these snakes up. I believe they were going to have the venom extracted for anti venom. Then killed. As you can see they gathered these in Oct. of 2009. That's pheasant hunting season. Snake season isn't over. They had their dog bitten and at least one of their horses. They are worried about the kids getting bit.

9118_1190370931781_1603603370_30501641_4315322_n.jpg

That's a lot of snakes

Where is Vivian?

Next to Presho on I90. Wow, that is crazy. I hunt out in Gregory a lot and forget there is a lot of rattlers in the area. I really need to keep that in the back of my mind. They usually see rattlers quite frequently at Buffalo Butte Lodge.

Depends on how far east. Once you get a short ways east of the river there aren't many, if any, snakes. Or at least ones you need to worry about. And once we get some colder weather they won't be a problem either.

Thanks, I'll stay east and hopefully it will get colder soon [can't believe I said that]. Arlington area is our home base in SD-the Arlington Inn.

No need to be concerned about snakes as far east as Arlington. My guess is that once you get 30 or so miles east of the Missouri River you won't find any snakes.

Snakes - SD

I hunt within 15 miles of Miller - south, north and east and have never seen a snake. This is not to say they aren't there. This area is relatively flat and generally corn and crop land.

jon

The radio station on the rosebud reservation has killed 7 snakes inside the studio this year so far. In general the land owner will point out areas where the snakes most generally are but they can show up unexpected. Snakes during pheasant season can be found but it is more likely you will never see one unless you go looking for one. I would be more worried about snakes when shooting prairie dogs than pheasant hunting for sure.

Does anyone have any experience or recomendations for vaccinating their dog against rattle snake bites. As an aside I hunted the Ft. Pierre grasslands north of Vivian last Friday when it was hot and sunny and saw no snakes, but I stayed away form the prairie dog area.

Where is Vivian?

Vivian is 1 mile from the Ft Pierre, Pierre exit on the I-90 interstate.

I was told not to worry about snakes East of the Mo River? Not true??

its very rare to see a rattle snake on the East river of Missouri so i think thats okay. its the West side that has more. i coudl be wrong. ive heard more rattlesnakes are on indian reservations than anywhere... usually where there are Buttes.. usually have the snakes. im told at my new job that they see one or two a year.. ive gone through a whole season and havent seen one in a field or road yet...
but again, im East River and i came across ONE that was on Hwy 34 and it was on a gravel road toward the boat dock next to the Missouri river and that was EAST river.
i think once you hit chamberlain east on.. you wont see any.. bc chamberlian has reported rattle snakes and they are consider east river city.

I hunt within 15 miles of Miller - south, north and east and have never seen a snake. This is not to say they aren't there. This area is relatively flat and generally corn and crop land.

jon

miller is an hour from where i work and i havent seen a snake in Blunt yet, but ive seen it off of hwy 34, 30 miles east just north of the river by a mile.

Does anyone have any experience or recomendations for vaccinating their dog against rattle snake bites. As an aside I hunted the Ft. Pierre grasslands north of Vivian last Friday when it was hot and sunny and saw no snakes, but I stayed away form the prairie dog area.

they do have rattlesnake bite shots but they are to slow down the venom.. not to prevent it or to kill your dog. i think your dog has 20-30 mins before the venom starts to really kick in... I THINK.. not stating a FACT bc i took my pup in for a monthly exam and we mentioned about that bite shot.. and i think the vet said 20-30 min before the venom starts kicking in so its a TEMP to slow down the venom.

source said:
How the Rattlesnake Vaccine Works
The rattlesnake vaccine works by stimulating the dog’s immune system to produce antibodies against snake venom, and it helps lessen the reaction a dog may have to a snakebite.

The vaccine is recommended for dogs living in “high-risk” geographical areas where rattlesnakes are prevalent, as well as for dogs that accompany their owners on hikes, camping trips, hunting excursions, or are in any way at risk of coming in contact with a rattlesnake.

According to Dr. Paula Ibsen, a staff veterinarian with Red Rock Biologics, dogs need to be inoculated at least 30 days before any potential exposure to rattlesnakes (full antibody protection is not reached until 30 days following the vaccination), and should get a booster shot every six months thereafter.

Vaccination Benefits
According to Ibsen, there are three benefits to the rattlesnake vaccine. “Besides buying you more time to get your dog to the veterinarian if he was bitten, dogs will experience a lot less pain, tissue-sluffing and swelling,” she says. “Even if there is swelling at the bite site, vaccinated dogs will normally see swelling subside within 20 minutes.”

Gardner concurs: “Dogs have much less severe reactions to the snake venom if vaccinated.”

Pet owners should be aware that not all vaccines are 100% effective. Even if a vaccinated dog is bitten, the situation should be treated as an emergency and the owner should take the dog for veterinarian care as soon as possible.

Im told im in a high rattle snake area so my wife wants our dog to have it next spring. I havent seen enough rattlers to even suggest it. I even hear theres a dog training session that trains your dog if a dog hears a rattling from that precision rattle, to run away... when my vet said that, i was shocked... but again dogs can be smart too opposed to cats. when a dog hears that certain rattle, it runs away or goes another route. interesting... really? i'll believe it when i see it.

for a WHOLE summer last year in pierre area when i was a patrol officer, we've gotten ONE call of rattle snake... and i think a few officers from the sheriffs dept has crossed a few on the road but killed them.

at the farm in winner, i've never seen a rattle snake... come to pierre, ive only seen one so far. usually i see snakes on the rd in fall when it gets colder and the snakes are looking for a warm highway to get warm from the sun. ive run over TONS and TONS of bullsnakes and garnder snakes.. but not often i came across rattle snakes. im surprised to see that many in vivian though...

The Vaccine should be given a month or so prior to hunting season. I have done my five the past two seasons but one had a bad reaction which laid him up for a month. I am not doing that again.

Vivian is 1 mile from the Ft Pierre, Pierre exit on the I-90 interstate.

its very rare to see a rattle snake on the East river of Missouri so i think thats okay. its the West side that has more. i coudl be wrong. ive heard more rattlesnakes are on Indian reservations than anywhere... usually where there are Buttes.. usually have the snakes. I'm told at my new job that they see one or two a year.. I've gone through a whole season and haven't seen one in a field or road yet...
but again, im East River and i came across ONE that was on Hwy 34 and it was on a gravel road toward the boat dock next to the Missouri river and that was EAST river.
i think once you hit chamberlain east on.. you wont see any.. bc Chamberlain has reported rattle snakes and they are consider east river city.

miller is an hour from where i work and i haven't seen a snake in Blunt yet, but I've seen it off of hwy 34, 30 miles east just north of the river by a mile.

they do have rattlesnake bite shots but they are to slow down the venom.. not to prevent it or to kill your dog. i think your dog has 20-30 mins before the venom starts to really kick in... I THINK.. not stating a FACT bc i took my pup in for a monthly exam and we mentioned about that bite shot.. and i think the vet said 20-30 min before the venom starts kicking in so its a TEMP to slow down the venom.

I'm told I'm in a high rattle snake area so my wife wants our dog to have it next spring. I haven't seen enough rattlers to even suggest it. I even hear there's a dog training session that trains your dog if a dog hears a rattling from that precision rattle, to run away... when my vet said that, i was shocked... but again dogs can be smart too opposed to cats. when a dog hears that certain rattle, it runs away or goes another route. interesting... really? I'll believe it when i see it.

for a WHOLE summer last year in Pierre area when i was a patrol officer, we've gotten ONE call of rattle snake... and i think a few officers from the sheriffs dept has crossed a few on the road but killed them.

at the farm in winner, I've never seen a rattle snake... come to Pierre, I've only seen one so far. usually i see snakes on the rd in fall when it gets colder and the snakes are looking for a warm highway to get warm from the sun. I've run over TONS and TONS of bull snakes and garter snakes.. but not often i came across rattle snakes. I'm surprised to see that many in Vivian though...

snake proofing clinics are very common here in Texas, usually costs $50 per dog. a trainer puts out a de-fanged rattlesnake, the dog is lead up (with e collar on) to the snake and as soon as he shows interest in the snake he is shocked. the dog is then lead away and brought back to the snake again, if he shows interest he is shocked once more.....usually takes 2 or 3 times and when the dog is lead up to the snake again, he will turn away immediately as soon as he smells or sees the snake.....works pretty well, i only snake proofed my dog once and 3 years later he came right back when he ran across a snake.

Great pictures. The suburban leaves at 2 am from Wausau on Nov 3rd. The GSP knows it's that time of the year.

yep

we did kill 12 in a couple days...area was south central SD. Most killed in the corn near prairie dog towns.

My buddies dog was bit last season and we didn't know it til about 20 minutes later she just laid down and her face began to swell. They rushed her to the nearest open vet which was 2 hrs away. By the time they got her there she was still alive but had difficulty breathing and the swelling was pretty bad. She ended up at the vet for 5 days and survived and you cannot tell she was ever bit.

She did have the vaccine prior to the season and the vet said it likely saved her life and/or any significant permanent damage.

Just back from SD last night. shot a lot of birds and had a good time. Saturday we filled our limit mid-afternoon. Two of us went out to shoot prairie dogs. I kept thinking back to this post when I was crawling through the weeds on my belly! No snakes, though. But we did shoot a couple dozen dogs. My buddy carries an AR-15. I had borrowed a .17 HMR from my brother. We were both amazed that the .17 could throw that little 20 grain bullet 200 yards on target, with deadly effect. Probably helped to have very little breeze. That sure was fun. Bang, a second's pause, then fwap! His .223 sure tore them up.

Back