Rotator Cuff injury -now what?

landman

I have an appointment next week to check out the pain in my shoulder and I'm guessing that it's a rotator cuff problem and may need surgery. It's my right shoulder too so I may not be able to do any shooting until it's fixed.

If this plays out in such a way that I can't shoot anything during the fall season I'm wondering if I can hire someone to carry my shotgun and then shoot the birds when my dog flushes them. I should be able to walk and work with the dog ok - I just won't be able to shoot.

If I remember correctly, I think Benelli Banger once hired a gun boy (or girl) to carry his guns but I don't think they actually shot the birds for him. In my case they are going to have to carry the gun and shoot the bird for me.

I'm wondering if I could find someone to do that for around $15 per hour plus mileage. He or she will be required to use my gun and shells, of course. I'm hoping that the GF&P's will allow me to count the birds as my daily bag limit since I'm actually paying someone to shoot the birds and given that fact that I may not be able to actually shoot due to the shoulder problem. If things don't go well, I might have to do the same thing for deer season.

Any thoughts?

I hurt mine too, it heeled on it's own in time. Alot of heat rubs and laying on my back with my hands under my rump, keeping the shoulder flat against the floor. No using it and in a few weeks it was gone for good. Lucky I guess. 15$ an hr I'll do it. No "for sure" on the hit bird thing though.:D

Heck LM I would do that for free. But I think you shoot an O/U and I can not bring myself to stoup to that level.

If you are ever in the area you can work your dog for me anytime.

That sucks! Hope you get better before season and you can shoot them yourself. I would volunteer to do some shooting for you in late Oct. to mid Nov. sometime. I'll be around all week for 3 weeks or more. Waiting for West river deer tags.

Onpoint

I hurt mine about 18 months ago. I had mine fixed by going to Physical Therapy. Landman did you check into that option. It is a lot better than the knife. It may work for you...............Bob

I would guess that their would be a willing young man or lady who would love the operatunity to go hunting and shoot some birds over a nice dog and it may give you time to actually study your dog and maybe even do some finish training or work on a problem waiting to happen

Me me me I'll do it, but the mileage from California may hurt your wallet. For 15 bucks an hour you could get a lot of work out of me.

landman, maybe you will find out it's just some tendonitis and some anti-inflammatories or a cortisone shot will take care of it. I've had some shoulder issues over the years and a cortisone shot took care of it both times.

Landman, I tell you 100% sure your baseball pitching days are over.;)
Ended mine about 40 something years ago, now you will throw like a girl.:eek:;)

Really though, take it easy with the shoulder, surgery only at last resort. Rotator cuffs do heal quite well in a year or so. Shooting, weellll make your shots count:) 3 rooster limit right? Don't need to shoot your buddies limit. And don't need to spend an afternoon skeet shooting.
Use lighter loads, don't need magnums.
If not I'll try to pencil in some time to shoot for you. Is there a retirement/ 401 package with the 15$ per hour? How about overtime and comp?

Landman, I have shoulder issues too. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a lighter shotgun with less recoil! Just for your recovery, right! Benelli Montefeltro? Nice light SXS in 28? Yeah!!! A guy's got to take care of himself and not further aggravate such an injury.

LM

I've had a couple shoulder surgeries..the most recent was May '09. The good news is that for both my surgery in 02 and '09, I experienced a full recovery within ~6 months to a year.

But similar to you, for my surgery last May I was very concerned that I'd recover in time for fall hunting, as I had torn my bicep tendon and labrum along with the rotator cuff. Fortunately, things came together just in time for hunting. although I added a recoil pad and shoulder pad to get thru some early season pain.

It was either that, or take up shooting left-handed :)

Best of luck, and, if you can get thru the season with some therapy, and, push out any surgery, if necessary, until ~ February, you'll do well!

Shoulder disability - new way to shoot

Hello,

Read your concerns about your ability to shoot after rotator cuff surgery. And was wondering what your doctor recommended?

Eight years ago I had massive surgery on my right shoulder - about 50% removed, including the deltoid muscle. This muscle allows you to lift the gun up...

I modified my gun with handles fore and aft, and had a special pad built that inserts into my shooting shirt to protect the shoulder. Had surgery in June and was shooting in the fall of that year.

I now mount the gun differently than before, but have lost little in speed to the shoulder and ability to hit targets.

Bottom line - if there's a will, there's a way. You'll find a way to shoot without having to hire someone to do it for you...

Good luck,

Jon

Landman, As someone earlier suggested you could try shooting left handed, at least until you heal up. You might be surprised at how well you can shoot.

I tore my rotator cuff while on a canoe trip. I used to be able to shoot down a runner at home plate from deep center field, but that injury forced me to throw like a girl. It took about 5 years before I could throw anything again. No surgery and I can throw, but nothing like when I was younger. You pain may eventually work itself out in time.

I would definitely see your doctor, though. I ruptured the L5-S1 disk in October, 2009, which ruined my bird season, including canceling my SD trip. My doc gave me diclofenac [non-steroidal anti-inflamatory] patches. Put them on at night and in the morning there's no or little pain. Those patches have helped me get through a couple golf tournaments this summer.

Also, don't know how old you are, but it seems everyone I know my age has some sort of tendonitis, etc., going on. I was fine turning 50, but 51 brought on a rash of crap. A shot, some use of the patches, a bit of rest on the shoulder and you might be good to go by fall. Good luck!

Update:

I just completed four weeks of physical therapy and then saw the doctor. The therapy definately helped restore some of the shoulder movement but some restrictions still exist. The doc said that with continued exercise the shoulder should heal even more.

Update:

I just completed four weeks of physical therapy and then saw the doctor. The therapy definately helped restore some of the shoulder movement but some restrictions still exist. The doc said that with continued exercise the shoulder should heal even more.

Great news!

I have an appointment next week to check out the pain in my shoulder and I'm guessing that it's a rotator cuff problem and may need surgery. It's my right shoulder too so I may not be able to do any shooting until it's fixed.

If this plays out in such a way that I can't shoot anything during the fall season I'm wondering if I can hire someone to carry my shotgun and then shoot the birds when my dog flushes them. I should be able to walk and work with the dog ok - I just won't be able to shoot.

If I remember correctly, I think Benelli Banger once hired a gun boy (or girl) to carry his guns but I don't think they actually shot the birds for him. In my case they are going to have to carry the gun and shoot the bird for me.

I'm wondering if I could find someone to do that for around $15 per hour plus mileage. He or she will be required to use my gun and shells, of course. I'm hoping that the GF&P's will allow me to count the birds as my daily bag limit since I'm actually paying someone to shoot the birds and given that fact that I may not be able to actually shoot due to the shoulder problem. If things don't go well, I might have to do the same thing for deer season.

Any thoughts?

Landman,
I'd do it for free. I live in arizona, So i cant help you out, all season long.

I turn 50, in nov. I too have a problem, with my shoulers, been shot in both of them. Rotator Cuff problems from h_ll. I also suffer from a case of cancer, 10 years ago, Have a port a cath, which is a chemo device, that the clip is still in my right shoulder. causes me problems in gun mount.

My point is, If your serious, I would be happy to travel, to your part of the world, and shoot your guns, and work your dog/dogs, for nothing. PM ,me and we can talk sir.:)

Back