Rising Costs

I used to participate on a dog forum that had a separate page for politics. Sadly, so much vitriol was spewed that it impacted the entire site.

For me, governmental policy can be discussed without the tribalism of political affiliation. Pointing out specific policies enacted under an administration and arguing those policies is discussion worthy.

First, I did not put anyone down and don't appreciate you saying so. Second, as hunters we need to pay attention to what is going on. In Kansas, the state legislature and commissioners decide every thing that governs hunting regulations. To ignore that would be absolutely ridiculous. We need to attend commissioner meetings, we need to be involved. Like it or not, as sportsman and conservationist, it is our job to carry the torch. Pheasants Forever does do a good job of keeping us informed on what goes on in D.C. Third, if you don't like my posts, don't read them and move on. This is a discussion forum, to discuss everything about hunting. Unfortunately, politics rule what we love to do. Politics have ruined hunting in the state of Kansas. I will always voice my opinions after what legislature did to us in 1995. Governor Mike Hayden was a horrible thorn in the side of all hunters in this state, be it resident or non resident. Now we have state representative Ken Corbett who brings house bill after house bill to line his own pockets thru hunting regulations. He has brought back transferrable tags, again. Many people on here ask what they can do to be involved. They want contact info so they can email our senators and representatives. They email the KDWP and want ideas on what to say to them. You ask the question, I gave you the answer. If you don't like it, don't reply.

I used to participate on a dog forum that had a separate page for politics. Sadly, so much vitriol was spewed that it impacted the entire site.

For me, governmental policy can be discussed without the tribalism of political affiliation. Pointing out specific policies enacted under an administration and arguing those policies is discussion worthy.
GH you are on point.
Just my opinion --
1. Policy should be discussed and in my experience can be discussed without so much anger and vitriol. Sometimes its not easy. Policy and politics are not the same. Sadly political discussions often only further divide the participants and real progress on policies suffers.
2. Naming specific politicians is political. "Let's Go Brandon" is 100% political.
3. This forum should be about pheasant policies, not deer hunting policies.
4. Webguy did the right thing in trying to ban political discord.

I'm watching this thread closely as of now.

I agree with the last few level headed posts by dakotasj and Golden Hour.

I do also agree that government policy does affect everything we do and has for thousands of years. Rising costs and inflation are always part of governments playbooks and a lot of people attribute this to the fall of most societies. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-currency-debasement-contributed-to-fall-of-rome-2016-2

I do agree that politics can be discussed rationally, however, it depends on the individual. So I'd rather just leave politics off the forum as a whole. I don't have much hope these days for open mindedness. Example - If I don't think like my Mom and Dad, they torch me about how stupid I am. Meanwhile they flip flop on everything and vote red, then blue, then red, then blue and are angry about everything if you don't think like them. This Thanksgiving it was electric vehicle talk and somehow I got dragged into the conversation. Why? Because I'm driving a V8 truck & V8 Mustang and I'm not saving the world with a EV, so I'm the problem in their book. My only comment this year after 3 hours was "Maybe turn the TV off. It's rotting your brain." That went over well. These days, I just end up sitting at holidays, eating food making it uncomfortable for everyone else/not talking, drinking beer and not saying a damn word about anything. I realize the parent/child relationship is a different beast, but I see them interact with their friends and it's the same nonsense.

Everything comes down to individuals and their ability to communicate and listen to each other as human beings. I think social media has really given people a platform to voice their anger and toxicity instead of being a positive place to interact and debate rationally. I've seen the internet really change in the last 20 years. It's kind of sad actually - a lot of great people out there, but a lot of people I know are just over it because of the ones making the most noise.

GH you are on point.
Just my opinion --
1. Policy should be discussed and in my experience can be discussed without so much anger and vitriol. Sometimes its not easy. Policy and politics are not the same. Sadly political discussions often only further divide the participants and real progress on policies suffers.
2. Naming specific politicians is political. "Let's Go Brandon" is 100% political.
3. This forum should be about pheasant policies, not deer hunting policies.
4. Webguy did the right thing in trying to ban political discord.
You can't talk about ks pheasant hunting without talking about deer hunting. Deer hunting has had a major impact on upland hunters in this state. It has been the root cause of leasing and the way land is managed. It has also been the focus of our state legislature and commissioners. As far as let's go Brandon that was a joke and was not putting down anyone on the forum.

“These days, I just end up sitting at holidays, eating food making it uncomfortable for everyone else/not talking, drinking beer and not saying a damn word about anything.”

As a parent with kids I don’t always agree with I hope you find a different way to interact with family.

“These days, I just end up sitting at holidays, eating food making it uncomfortable for everyone else/not talking, drinking beer and not saying a damn word about anything.”

As a parent with kids I don’t always agree with I hope you find a different way to interact with family.

Yah, that is a tough way to deal with that situation, might reconsider the method.

I understand the context of the scenario he’s describing…I’m not gonna be critical. Delicate situation, for sure. He’s being put in a tough spot. Not unusual today!

I swooned. Why the very mention of.....OH! I can't even say it! I hope I didn't chip my trigger finger nail polish!

1646747462453.png

Can all of us delicate flowers get back to the topic at hand? Although I do appreciate a good tip on a Mexican restaurant. Haven't hunted Iowa in years but I do have friends over there.

As far as fuel price, last year I traded my trusty 2003 F-250 that got about 13mpg doing 80 on the highway. Got a 2021 GMC Sierra Crew 4WD V8 that was supposed to get 20 on the highway according to the window sticker.

Now I realized I wouldn't get that at 80 but I didn't think I'd get 16 and change at 78mph. That's what I got when I went to pick up my new pup. I'm wondering if it has something to do with really cold weather. It was pretty cold the whole trip, significantly below freezing. Last summer I was driving the same speed and was right at 18mpg.

Anybody else notice a difference between mpg when really cold and summer temps? I'm wondering if the fuel is not atomising as well in the cold but I'd think the EFI would take care of that.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice a difference between mpg when really cold and summer temps?
I generally get better mileage in the winter months than the summer. I run my AC a lot in the summer and that affect mileage. I believe summer gasoline has a special additive that prevents it from evaporating too. Perhaps that affects things.

I swooned. Why the very mention of.....OH! I can't even say it! I hope I didn't chip my trigger finger nail polish!

View attachment 3078

Can all of us delicate flowers get back to the topic at hand? Although I do appreciate a good tip on a Mexican restaurant. Haven't hunted Iowa in years but I do have friends over there.

As far as fuel price, last year I traded my trusty 2003 F-250 that got about 13mpg doing 80 on the highway. Got a 2021 GMC Sierra Crew 4WD V8 that was supposed to get 20 on the highway according to the window sticker.

Now I realized I wouldn't get that at 80 but I didn't think I'd get 16 and change at 78mph. That's what I got when I went to pick up my new pup. I'm wondering if it has something to do with really cold weather. It was pretty cold the whole trip, significantly below freezing. Last summer I was driving the same speed and was right at 18mpg.

Anybody else notice a difference between mpg when really cold and summer temps? I'm wondering if the fuel is not atomising as well in the cold but I'd think the EFI would take care of that.
Should be better mileage I think, more oxygen in the air makes for better combustion.

Do you idle at stops ? I go to town and see everyone letting their vehicles idle while in the store. One guy was waiting in the truck, window down and had the motor running. Couldn’t figure that one out. I understand the fuel usage is minimal, but still.

View attachment 3078

It’s the combination of winter blend fuel heavy gear lube and to some extent lower tire pressure

I go to town and see everyone letting their vehicles idle while in the store. One guy was waiting in the truck, window down and had the motor running. Couldn’t figure that one out. I understand the fuel usage is minimal, but still.
LOL ya that one is a head scratcher isn't it. Leaving their vehicles running with the keys in it while they aren't there is ripe for a car jacking too. That's the lowest hanging fruit there is to a thief.

Tire pressures are up. I like this one because it actually displays all four tires TPMS readings on one screen. Came in handy one time already.

It has that shutoff feature when you stop at a light. I haven't turned it off yet but my wife hates it, lol. Generally I don't let it idle for stores, etc. This driving was a steady 10 hours on the highway. Just stops for restrooms and gas.

I had forgotten about winter blend; my other vehicles get a little less on that as well.

I think the 80mph has a lot to do with it. I suspect the vehicle makers tune everything for a lower speed so their EPA mileage rating looks good.

I may have to slow down a bit going to SD this fall.

Last edited:
Tire pressures are up. I like this one because it actually displays all four tires TPMS readings on one screen. Came in handy one time already.

It has that shutoff feature when you stop at a light. I haven't turned it off yet but my wife hates it, lol. Generally I don't let it idle for stores, etc. This driving was a steady 10 hours on the highway. Just stops for restrooms and gas.

I had forgotten about winter blend; my other vehicles get a little less on that as well.

I think the 80mph has a lot to do with it. I suspect the vehicle makers tune everything for a lower speed so their EPS mileage rating looks good.

I get 12.8 in the winter and a little under 16 summer. . This is my 3/4 ton dodge , highway with the mileage monitor reset. Any wind will kill the 16, but doesn’t have as big of affect on the 12.8

I think the 80mph has a lot to do with it. I suspect the vehicle makers tune everything for a lower speed so their EPS mileage rating looks good.

Those TPMS on screen are pretty cool. Took me awhile when adding air to figure out the blinker blinks when you hit the sweet spot. Speed does seem to make a difference, but my time is worth money too

View attachment 3078

Chestle what kind of dog did you get? Let’s see a pic

I will post a couple pics. It was a very bittersweet thing. I had my 9 month pup out of my lines die suddenly. We were lucky that WestKS tipped everyone here to a great English Lab kennel near Nashville.

I put a long post over in the Are you going to add a dog this year thread.

You can see it here: https://forum.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/threads/anyone-adding-a-dog-this-year.25111/#post-274363

This pic is at the hotel in Paducah. We had to stop as the roads got icy. She decided the space under the night stand would make a good bed. We put some vet fleece in there and she loved it.Lorie in Paducah.PNG

Back