Rising Costs

What a cutie. Love the Lonesome Dove homage!
There's a fine, fine yellow male out of my dam's litter, littermate to the bitch I lost. He's Captain Agustus McRae. I gave him to my vet buddy. Yes, we're thinking about it down the line but we're both past 70 so who knows.

Kinda. Not real real red but definitely not "yellow". I'd say she's about the color of ground cinnamon. Not sure if that counts as fox red.
You’ve got yourself a good looking pup.
She looks a lot like my fox red when I got her.265C49DB-D339-45AD-8B1A-3CD8DF66D22F.jpeg

If anyone else is looking for a pup, Blaine Winans has a litter coming. He did the training on my male. Sire is a Field champion imported from Scotland. The dam is his female that came from Double T. I don't know if you can tell from the pics but my dog looks about like Lincoln except a tad lighter.

Last edited:
Our greatest defense is being energy independent. It is foolish to think that reducing domestic production will lower usage. The US should be a net exporter of "energy".

There are two ways to lower usage ... raise the price by taxes or supply-demand imbalance - most politicians know this is one great way to lose an election.

or subsidize those who use alternative routes until they are self-sufficient and/or build the infrastructure to support the new energy forms that reduce carbon footprint (ex. electric vehicles or natural gas fueled vehicles)

Circling back on the gas consumption....We just got a 2021 Tundra back in september with the 5.7, which are notorious for being gas hogs. Sticker was 14-17 mpg and I can routinely get 16-17 on the interstate, but in town that 14 seems to be more like 11-13 no matter how easy I am on it. If I hook any kind of trailer up to it though I'm in the 8-10 ballpark on the interstate, which sucks. I really wanted a F150 with the 3.5 eco, but I know a few guys that get that similar 8-10 while pulling...and 16 empty. For me the added resale made the decision. Having a 38 gallon tank is nice, but definitely stings when you need to fill up.

Yep, I expect the Covid driven boom in RV sales has probably just ended.

My old F250 got 8mpg pulling the 30 footer I had back then.

Lessee here 800 miles one way = 1600 round trip = 200 gallons @ $5 = $1000 in gas.

Yeah…hotel/motel for sure.

Gas may not stop at $5 either.

On the bright side if you’ve really been wanting an RV, low prices for a used one are on the way.

Circling back on the gas consumption....We just got a 2021 Tundra back in september with the 5.7, which are notorious for being gas hogs. Sticker was 14-17 mpg and I can routinely get 16-17 on the interstate, but in town that 14 seems to be more like 11-13 no matter how easy I am on it. If I hook any kind of trailer up to it though I'm in the 8-10 ballpark on the interstate, which sucks. I really wanted a F150 with the 3.5 eco, but I know a few guys that get that similar 8-10 while pulling...and 16 empty. For me the added resale made the decision. Having a 38 gallon tank is nice, but definitely stings when you need to fill up.
I have a 2020 Tacoma. 18 in town 20-21 on hwy. I don't have a truck or house payment so I don't worry about it to much. It's the damn auto insurance I hate paying. $250 per month for 3 vehicles. Then the property tax is close to $1000 per year on my truck.

I really wanted a F150 with the 3.5 eco, but I know a few guys that get that similar 8-10 while pulling...and 16 empty. For me the added resale made the decision. Having a 38 gallon tank is nice, but definitely stings when you need to fill up.
I have a 2014 F-150 with a 5.0L which is the year before Ford started making the Ecoboost engines standard. My mileage is the same pretty much all the time, whether I'm highway, city, or pulling my boat. Its always between 16.7 - 16 mpg. My previous vehicles were an Escape and a Ranger, and they both got better mileage overall, but as soon as I hooked up a trailer to them, the mileage plummeted.

I have a 36 gallon tank too, so ya its awesome that I can go a long time between fill ups but it sucks when I actually do have to fill up. I don't really go anywhere in the winter other than somewhere close to my house, and I have only bought gasoline once since Jan 1. That is going to change next month when I start turkey hunting and fishing again.

Well as to the RV rush being over. I bought a new Travel Trailer last year, ordered in April and picked up in October when it was done. Hauled it up the Alcan and it will live it's life out up here. Went back to the dealer last week thinking about buying another one and stashing it in the plains states for bird hunting. Right now the lead time is the same as last year and the price for the same trailer is up about a third. So the RV boom is not over.

Back