reciever tube dog boxes

what do you guys think about dog boxes that fit into a reciever tube my worries are that if i am in a rear end collision there goe my dogs and the other is fumes from the exhaust i'm trying to figure out a way to beef one up so i wont have to wory about the collisions but what about the fumes keep in mind that this is only a dog box all one piece so it can be as heavy as i want it give me your feedback

Not to mention the dust bowl behind the truck. I would look at a better option myself. I'm not impressed with them

Not a big fan of these things..........

Car/truck exhaust fumes, dust/road grime, rain/sleet/snow, no temp controls at all, etc etc. A rear end accident would surely wipe out your dogs. Not worth it in my world.

NB

In the words of an old 'Texan...Nope, not gonna do it; wouldn't be prudent!

Actually, I hate them. No real reason other than it just seems like the dog becomes an afterthought. At times, I feel guilty enough sticking Taz in the back. He gives me that, "wtf" look because he knows the heater is on inside.

I understand everyones thoughts and apreciate them as for dust in the back its winter time when i hunt and the roads are usually frozen exhaust fumes not an issue as i have smoke stacks that come out behind cab and as an afterthought as the dogs go they arent an afterthought actually it would be better in my opinion for them they wouldnt have to jump so high and their would be more wind protection for them as for the rear end collision that is my only worry but i may have it figured out i will let you know how it turns out we are going to spend some time on this thing and cover all the bases we will probly build one and put it through a couple tests just to see if it would hold up on impact

My dog don't ride where I wouldn't ride and there's no way I would want him in the winter riding back behind the truck in road slop and sub zero temps.

Not trying to take a shot at you, just saying, I would really think it through.

Nothing personal, just my humble opinion and you did ask! My question would be; just how much stuff is in the back of your truck that a kennel would not fit? Also, as for the wind in the back of a truck vs the wind behind the truck...trucks are designed to create a vortec effect off of the cab and push wind over the bed. Thats what keeps those empty cans in the bed at speed. Check the back of any vehicle after driving in the rain, snow, or sleet; the turbulence and wind turns up and against the back.

I'm sure you care about your dogs so I apologize for the afterthought comment but I urge you to rethink the dog box.

the box is soon to be filled with my hunting home and i lov my dogs but not enught to smell them in the winter after hunting all day or else they could stay in there and the cab wont always be available 1 becouse i have fellow hunters with me and 2 they tend to desty my cab when they have been in there not eating anything but you can definetely tell that they had a great time in the back seat if you know what i mean and im not taking any of your comments the wrong way i asked opinions for a reason and im getting the results i was after thanks

By your hunting home I guess you have a in the bed camper. What about strapping a kennel down inside the camper? I am not sold on a hitch mount kennel. It seems like trouble with bad drivers and snow covered roads.

i like em

what do you guys think about dog boxes that fit into a reciever tube my worries are that if i am in a rear end collision there goe my dogs and the other is fumes from the exhaust i'm trying to figure out a way to beef one up so i wont have to wory about the collisions but what about the fumes keep in mind that this is only a dog box all one piece so it can be as heavy as i want it give me your feedback
i love them dont have to mess with tailgate, dont have to bend over,every thing is waste high, dogs dont have to jump as high to hit tailgate!i just cant beleive how people baby there dogs on here lol it amazes me. throw them in the truck and go .when i go hunting they are a muddy mess ,wet cut up ,beat up get in the truck and next field i like easy and dont mess withem.But to each is own though. Thats another reason though i like tough dogs.The right people just havent seen your post Gove county

.finally someone who sees what i am i dont want to hasle with wet dogs and crouching over the tailgate i may hunt britts but they hunt hard all day and never once question what i tell them thanks only a pointer when i get it built i will send you some pics

i didnt mean to come off bashing a britt one of the best bird dogs i had was a britt thats another story for another post.I would like to see a pic when you get through i think they would sell good in the kansas city area.

Gove, just out of curiousity, how heavy is this going to be? Another thing, do you already live in the country?

Only a pointer i didnt even notice if you were bashing britts i didnt figure you were i was just stating that i had hearty dogs that didnt need to be pampered vzwman i dont know exactly how heavy it will be i'm going to try and make it a one man operation and no i dont live in the country

The dog doesn't care! All the dog knows is that they are going hunting or doing something fun! There are safety concerns with every mode of transportation. Do what works for you and your dog!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I have to agree with Bleu on this one. I think it will actually turn out to be a pretty good design. I would make sure to put the face of it and the sides as the strongest points besides the hitch holds it for safety reasons, but I have heard of dogs dying from getting rear ended in there kennels in the truck bed. I think there is actually a couple of ways to make this safer than some standard kennels riding in pickup beds.

Back