Quail hunters roll call

Ed here. NE Oklahoma is home for me and my GSP. Hunt Oklahoma and enjoy going to Kansas each year.

nothing like shooting bobwhite quail on cool winter mornings in
south Georgia

Ha! Cool winter mornings! Here they are usually Cold! Don't you guy's shoot into spring? Like March 1-31st? I assume Thomasville, suit up at Stafford's. There sure are a lot of birds in the piney woods and swamps.

So enjoy looking at the neat fotos!! Yes, the pheasant is something alright, but the quail...in a league of its own:)

Scott here from Arkansas.
Last season was mine and my brittany's first season hunting bobwhite. We are learning together. He seems to be picking it up faster than me.

Hunted preserves in Arkansas and Missouri. Hunted wild quail in Kansas. It was tough hunting but enjoyed every second.

Not as much of one since I moved to CO, but boy did I love chasin' gambels & blues (scalies) for a decade or so back in my El Paso/New Mexico days! A feller could find himself in a heap of trouble with the cartel out in the middle of nowhere nowadays in some of my old haunts right along the edge of the Mexican border (from Santa Theresa to Columbus & the Florida Mtns)...
Western quail are not always exactly the tight-holding gentlemen that bobs are known for, they have a lot of the same little DEMON qualities that we all so appreciate in a wild rooster over pen-raised duds!

Dave from Nebraska. Quail can be up and down here with the tough winters and wet/cold springs. Last few years have been rough as we recovered from a bad drought, but this year should be really good for quail, at least for Nebraska. Opening day this weekend, can't wait.

Roger from Nebraska here. I was fortunate enough to hunt quail in South central Nebraska back in the mid eighties when it was good. I would rather hunt quail behind a pointing dog than eat steak or drink scotch. (And I really like steak and single malt)!!!

I shot one quail last year on the covey rise and the let my pup hunt the singles. I could have shot more but it was fun to see a young dog on singles and I didn't want to hurt the covey.

I'm hearing they are coming back in Eastern Nebraska and I just hope they continue to rebound.

AM

Good luck on your opener fellas, I hope your guys covies are doing better than mine this year. I'm trying to figure out if I can swing a day or two of bobwhite hunting on my way out or back from SD in december.

Quail guy here chasing them with E Setters.

If God came to me and said there will be plenty of game birds to hunt the rest of your life but from here on out you must choose one to hunt the rest of your life

Quail is my #1 no questions asked

Josh here, having a good year so far. Been hunting two three days a week since Thanksgiving have found birds every day. Having a blast!

I'm Tom from northen Michigan, have chased mr bobwhite with my Britts in South Carolina, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa and Nebraska. Since moving to MI some 18 years ago I have switched to grouse and woodcock, sure miss the excitement of the covey rise and following up on a few singles. Hoping to get back into more quail hunting this fall in Kansas. Love the mixed bag opportunities and the mystery of whether my Britt has a pheasant or quail pinned.

I'm Tom from northen Michigan, have chased mr bobwhite with my Britts in South Carolina, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa and Nebraska. Since moving to MI some 18 years ago I have switched to grouse and woodcock, sure miss the excitement of the covey rise and following up on a few singles. Hoping to get back into more quail hunting this fall in Kansas. Love the mixed bag opportunities and the mystery of whether my Britt has a pheasant or quail pinned.

Welcome Tom. Love those Brittanys myself!

Back