Possible Lead shot Ban

Wirehairs

GF&P proposes lead shot ban for roads, right-of-ways
StoryDiscussionGF&P proposes lead shot ban for roads, right-of-ways
Kevin Woster Journal staff Rapid City Journal | Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:00 am | (10) Comments

The familiar debate over lead shot will return to public conversation in South Dakota because of a proposal by the state Game, Fish & Parks Commission to require nontoxic shot for hunting on public roads and right-of-ways.

The commission proposed the ban Thursday during a meeting in Pierre and will vote on whether to put it in regulation during its meeting April 7-8 in Brandon.

The ban was requested through a petition to the commission by Martin-area landowner Marty Vanderploeg. He wants to stop road hunters from scattering lead shot on his property when they blast at pheasants from the road.

Lead shot has been proven lethal when ingested by wildlife, and it poses an overall health and pollution threat in the environment, Vanderploeg said by telephone Friday.

"Lead is very toxic," he said. "It's being put on the surface we live on, the farmland. And groundwater is under it all. Fundamentally, it's a very poor practice."

The GF&P Commission began restricting the use of lead shot and requiring non-toxic alternatives such as steel shot in the early 1980s. Instances of lead poisoning in waterfowl populations near Pierre led to a limited ban along the river in that area. Eventually, lead was banned statewide for waterfowl hunting and for all hunting with shotguns on most public lands.

The lead bans of the past were controversial. Opponents said that steel shot, the main non-toxic alternative, was less effective, could damage some gun barrels, cost too much and led to increased rates of crippling. Supporter said those concerns were overblown and that benefits to wildlife justified the change.

Non-toxic alternatives to lead that are now approved by the state include steel, bismuth-tin, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix and any combination of tungsten-iron-nickel-tin-copper-bismuth. Copper-coated lead shot does not qualify as non-toxic shot.

Vanderploeg wants the existing non-toxic-shot requirements extended to cover public roads and right-of-ways, most of which are open to hunting with shotguns.

"Even with the restrictions, we're still losing a lot of waterfowl every year to lead," he said. "And a lot of raptors die, too, when they end up feeding on carcasses with lead in them."

The ban being proposed by the commission is aimed at shotguns. Most hunting from roads and right-of-ways is for upland birds, particularly pheasants. It is also a popular technique for shooting waterfowl flying over roads and right-of-ways near the Missouri River and other areas where ducks and geese congregate.

Hunting for deer and other big game, except for turkeys, is prohibited from roads and right-of-ways.

The GF&P biological staff has made a recommendation on the commission's proposal to extend the lead ban to roads and right-of-ways. Tony Leif, GF&P Wildlife Division director, said the staff will study and discuss the issue in order to provide an analysis for the commission prior to its vote next month.

"Basically, this proposal initiates a conversation," Leif said. "The commission wanted to get additional input on the petition by Mr. Vanderploeg."

Commissioner chairman Jeff Olson of Rapid City said the action by the commission Thursday simply started a month of consideration of Vanderploeg's idea.

"I think it is worth exploring and thus the main reason to accept his petition," Olson said. "We will see what the public thinks and also what the department comes up with as how enforceable it would be."

Mark Blote, an owner at First Stop Guns in Rapid City, said Friday that some hunters will oppose the proposal because they don't want to shoot steel shot, the most common lead alternative, in certain shotguns for fear of barrel damage. Steel and other lead alternatives also are difficult to get in certain loads and shotgun gauges and tend to be more expensive than lead.

"I think it would put a burden on some of the fellows who road hunt, because they're not going to be able to use all the guns they could use before," Blote said. "If they show there's a lot of problems with shooting lead from roads, I could understand. But I don't think they have done that. I think most road hunters would probably prefer not to have the ban."

Blote said he also worries that a lead ban for roads and right-of-ways could be another step toward banning lead shot totally.

"I'm concerned that this would be the next step for a non-tox regulation statewide," he said.

Vanderploeg likes that idea as well. Over time, he wants to see all lead banned for hunting, including rifle bullets. He prefers copper bullets to lead, which are more likely to fragment and taint meat.

Vanderploeg said improvements in steel shot have made it competitive with lead in price and performance. He requires all those who hunt his property, for big game or birds, to shoot non-toxic bullets or shot.

"The result has been that the hunters still come to my place, gladly," he said.

Contact Kevin Woster at 394-8413 or kevin.woster@rapidcityjournal.com

Copyright 2011 Rapid City Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I do not road hunt, but I think this is a bit overdone. How the hell are they going to enforce it? They could not enforce the old law re the imaginary vertical no shoot zone at the fenceline so they changed the law to fit the violations. If I am not mistaken, this guy may have just received a conservation reward. Are they throwing him a bone. Don't go off on me. I did not say it was not deserved.

I doubt the purity of the motive behind a landowner suggesting a lead shot ban. I suggest an atrazine and pesticide ban on ag fields to protect the water we all drink!

The guy is a wacko. I suggest fight it tooth and nail, speak out against any one in this state of mind. Or you can plan on pricing your self from hunting. Unless you want to pay 30 bucks a box. This will just help lead to a total ban. All that BS was over blown to begin with. There has really been no effect on wild life. If any thing steel cripples way more birds and kills them slowly. Wheres his proof.I doubt he has any scientific study.

They banned lead bullets in the "condor range" in California for big game and varmit hunting. We can still use lead on game birds though with the reasoning being that game birds are retrieved and don't make up carrion that condors would eat. The only problem is finding copper bullets for my 22 mag for coyote and squirrel hunting. Now if I could only use non tox for quail hunting it would be very costly and I would quit dove hunting all together. Fight it all the way.

I doubt that South Dakota will do much to discourage road hunters. It is a large part of their public hunting.

I doubt the purity of the motive behind a landowner suggesting a lead shot ban. I suggest an atrazine and pesticide ban on ag fields to protect the water we all drink!

AMEN! maybe they should go check out how much oil, Hyd fluid, anti freeze, pesticide, Etc that has leaked into the ground around his farm yard from leaking equipment and spillage from doing maintenance. Every tractor or implement leaks Hyd fluid unless brand new and it can still leak at the quick coupler if brand new, if just one ORing gets pinched. The guy has other issues then lead shot on his mind.

A bit off subject, and excuse my ignorance, but what is considered "road hunting" in South Dakota? Around here road hunting would be shooting from your vehicle, or from close to your vehicle after seeing the game while driving. This is illegal in PA.
This is not what you are talking about in SD is it?

In South Dakota, hunting the road ditches is legal. You can not shoot from the vehicle. The vehicle must be stopped, motor off and door closed to shoot. You can shoot at a flying bird as long as it originated from the road right away. you can also retrieve the bird from private property without a gun.

Hope that helps

Do you really want a ban on pesticides? I only ask because that would mean going back to tillage as the only option of weed control. That would mean a much larger usage of fuel and much more soil erosion. Probably higher food prices too.

Haymaker, I suggest that a complete ban on pesticides and herbicides would make more sense than a ban on lead shot, distributed an ounce and quarter over 1000's of acres of ground. Yes, I realize the cost of banning herbicides and pesticides, I also realize the cost continuing to use them at the current level. Easy answer to erosion control is buffer strips, contour farming, planting and leaving hedgerows, moisture conservation, and yes not tilling what never should have been tilled in the first place. Food up 2% in the last 6 months anyway, and continued higher, with or without pesticides/herbicides. If we don't use herbicides and pestiicides, and we use non-genetically altered corn, our inputs would be 1/2 of current costs, so if our yield was lower, by say 1/2, your essentially where you are now. albeit with cleaner water, better health, and stronger, sustainable enviornmental footing. Farming CAUSED the dust bowl of the thirties, acknowledged historically and scientifically as the first man made ecological/ enviornmental disaster, by failing to take precautions to protect the topsoil. Do you believe man or nature has changed in 80 years? We are a few dry years in a row away from that now. My point was that if all of us got together and demanded the reduction of pesticides and herbicides in enviornmentally sensitive areas, this same farmer, and every farm organization coast to coast would be up in arms, amply supported by Monsanto, Ciba-Geigy, Pioneer, Con-Agra, etc. to threaten, warn of disaster and dire impending doom, in support of something that causes more short and long term cost and damage than the forementioned ounce of chilled 6's from some hunters gun. I can see lead being a problem in trap fields, waterfowl hotspots, etc. uplands, condors be damn, it's a silly argument. Condors probably ingest more lead from breathing auto exhaust than eating lead bullets out of dead deer. The SD lead proposal is a trial balloon to ban road hunting, a practice banned by virtually every other state now, except Iowa, for reasons which must be all to obvious to everyone by now. BY the way as a disclosure, we shoot a lot of targets on the back 40, we went to steel 2years ago, due to concerns over lead. We still shoot lead at game where legal, and steel or nontox where required. No nontox I have used, and I've tried them all, equals the killing power of lead, period. They can certainly be used effectively however.

Last edited:
Old,
That was a very thoughtful and well written reply. I am not in support of a lead ban. I have never used any thing but lead. I hunt only on my land and no longer hunt waterfowl. My point on a pesticide ban is that there is a need for pesticides. Grain prices are going up because we have more demand than we have supply. If we cut our yields in half we will see prices that I can only imagine the consequences of. Cattle prices are going up because land that used to be pasture is being turned into farmland to raise high priced grain. No till farming has greatly reduced erosion. Some of the modern herbicides use very small amounts of chemical. I would rather we did not use chemicals. But they do have their place. Originally you talked of banning pesticides your last post suggested reduction. I think we always need be careful when we add something to nature. I consider myself a steward of the land first, a rancher second. I would hate to be without some help when I am fighting Canada thistle or leafy spurge. The hardest thing that I can think of to do is to replace topsoil, once it is gone it is not coming back.

Marty Vanderploeg, lives about a mile straight east of Tut Hill. He does not farm, he has established a wildlife sanctuary on his property. Lacreek refuge, is across the road. The road ditches are mowed to about three inches, and he has put up a woven wire fence, so if you legally shoot a goose, or pheasant, from the right of way, it is impossable to retreive it, if it falls on his property. I have never seen anyone hunting that property. He has a lot of birds.

Uncle Buck, I believe a totalban on pesticides/herbicides is ludicrous and not rational, as is say a ban on lead shot! Which was my original point. SD officials are obviously looking for a reason to ban lead, and found this radical individual to be their stalking horse, to deflect criticism from themselves,after all they are only responding to the legimate concerns of a landowner, and using it to push an agenda they already espouse.

Marty Vanderploeg, lives about a mile straight east of Tut Hill. He does not farm, he has established a wildlife sanctuary on his property. Lacreek refuge, is across the road. The road ditches are mowed to about three inches, and he has put up a woven wire fence, so if you legally shoot a goose, or pheasant, from the right of way, it is impossable to retreive it, if it falls on his property. I have never seen anyone hunting that property. He has a lot of birds.

good for Marty, is he a personal friend of Michael Moore, the film producer?
:D

Uncle Buck, I believe a totalban on pesticides/herbicides is ludicrous and not rational, as is say a ban on lead shot! Which was my original point. SD officials are obviously looking for a reason to ban lead, and found this radical individual to be their stalking horse, to deflect criticism from themselves,after all they are only responding to the legimate concerns of a landowner, and using it to push an agenda they already espouse.

if SD is against lead shot, i guess they don't need pheasant hunter revenue..fine by me. :cheers:

Do you really want a ban on pesticides? I only ask because that would mean going back to tillage as the only option of weed control. That would mean a much larger usage of fuel and much more soil erosion. Probably higher food prices too.

LOL, we did just fine with smaller farms and hoes when I grew up. We farmed 360 acres with that and your back.

Back