Pointer vrs Flusher Article in Shooting Sportsman

KUDOS to ya! Okay from a previous entry to talked about master passes and needing 6(?) to get to Master Nationals right? Assume these are all total retriever games and no upland skills? What's max number of blind retrieves need to be done and what is the hardest station?

A Master test is required to have at least 3 series, two triple retreives, one double retreive, 1 live bird shot, four blinds one of wiech must be a double blind, a walk up, and an honor. One series is on land, one on water, and a third land water combo. Marks and blinds should not exceed 150 yards. Dogs are must be steady, deliver to hand. Judges look for trainablity, perservernce, marking, and style. All skills are judged on a 1-10 scale an average of 7 is required to pass, a zero any where is an automatic fail. Most tests will have three triple retrieves with two live birds, 5 blinds, an honor, and a walk up. Judges can and sometimes do have an upland series but land, and time constraints oftenly make it too difficult. Often the live bird will not be dead and will wander off a ways if you pick it up last so trails are very commen And in all honestly rarely do the upland series test dogs at this level. Short quartering tests or 100 yard trails are pretty easy for these guys. Tests are limited to 60 dogs per flight and usually take a day and a half to run. Central Minesota Retreiver Club will oftenly have 4 flights with about 225-240 contestants. Typical pass rates are about 30%. Entrance fees are $85-$100. Masters is "big dog shit"! A real good meat dog probably can handle seniors, masters takes it up a bunch!

The Master National is the same thing except double all the requirments and a upland test is required!

Someone usually says that "these dogs are robots that can't work on there own". These people are clueless and most likely have never seen a test or trial much less ran one.

David0311

I would take the Pepsi challenge any day. Better get your wallet out though. $50/bird. That sound about right? And yes I do have a bias on pointing dogs. But quail is my main chase because of where I live. When dogs go on point it gives everyone time to get into position to shoot. They dont bust till you bust em. And on runners they just relocate and pin. My older dog is great on pheasants once she learned to relocate on runners. And with her nose, she dont walk past too many. And she is a bull dozer. Like I said, get your wallet out. And afterwards we can go to the bar and play pool. Keep your wallet out...cause its $50/ball too.

If you and Tom can set up a place and time I would love to have a piece of that action with my Labs:):cheers:

But no pool --only vice I've never been into;)

David0311

I thought we were talking pheasants? Everybody has a good dog on the internet. You would challenge me that you could put up as many birds without a dog as I could put up with a good flusher? C'mon brother I don't want to get personal but have you ever hunted wild pheasants? Good flushers give tells when they are on a bird, I am rarely surprised.

Set it up Tom--I'll be up for it with my Labs and yours;)

Has anyone heard of the Heller brothers out of Michigan (I think that's the name)? They hunt grouse with labs and I've heard they slay 'em. Pretty sure GunDogMag did an article about them.

What a hoot this thread is-lots of laughs. But the real question is which dogs look better on a Christmas card!!!!!!

What a hoot this thread is-lots of laughs. But the real question is which dogs look better on a Christmas card!!!!!!

German dogs rule Christmas. :D

2c52ee79-823a-4652-a1d5-6491640e0c82_zpsja0pndor.jpg

You are correct about them, I read the same article (link below) but I do not know them personally and cannot recall running into them in the woods...sorry.

http://www.gundogmag.com/in-the-field/labradors-best-grouse-hunting-breed/

At least the one brother has been on "the grouse" forum forever. The best thing the article highlights is choosing a dog that fits you in terms of life style & hunting style and then putting that dog down in a cover and situation where you both can be successful.

I'm in the camp with SetternNut! :cheers:

I posted this after read the first page! LOL Glad I went back and looked , as I did not have any idea this thread was sooooolong! LOL! I should have guessed though. I still like hunting and shooting pointed birds. I love watching them work and have fun!

Last edited:
View attachment 8190View attachment 8191View attachment 8192
I find that impressive as hell best of luck to ya! Cannot imagine that many dogs In one competition, guess the duck toll is equal to when the gladiators 'fought' slaves in the arena

Last year 2016 we did qualify for the Master National. 1300 dogs qualified 1100 showed up in St. Louis to run. After 6 triple retrieves, 12 blinds, 6 live fliers, 3 honors, spread over 9 days Dutch and I along with 270 other retrievers earned a qualifying score earning us a silver plate and a silk ribbon! Here are pics from the 3rd series.

I'M on medicare and have a fake knee. When I get really "old" I'm going to get a pointer. Till then I'm going to chase after my flushers. It's a matter of preference and its just seems like more team work when we are in close contact. Don't need a collar on the old bird finders, but sure as heck need one on the younger members.

Back